• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Customgod227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    So i had a weird dream last night and wanted to know a few gun owners opinon. The dream goes like this...

I was at home one night just taking it easy when i hear a bunch of loud noises and glass breaking. Being like most of the IN gunowners, i took my gun with me outside, holsterd on my side of course. When i finally get outside to see whats going on, i see a man with a bat breaking every window in my car and my girlfriends car (odd dream trust me, lover not a hater here). Anywho, this man is dressed in all black is smashing out all of our windows. As soon as he sees me, he starts charging towards me with the bat cocked back ready to swing at me. Here is my question for ya'll, what would you do. Would you run back inside if the door was close enough and call for help, or would you act upon your God givin rights and defend yourself? I would like to hear what some of you would say on this. Thanks in advanced!!!:patriot:

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    GIVE HIM A COMLIMENT... It always defuses the situation... Tell him you like his shoes or something..

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    In a dream setting? Point at the massive bear that just wandered into the scene. Grab the bat, only to find out that it's turned to a bunch of flowers (most likely roses, thorns making my hands bleed)..

Dreamy :)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Your question seems to have two sides--the real and the dream.
    As for the real, if he was charging me, I probably would try to deflect the first blow. After that, all bets are off. If he charged my Wife,daughter,or granddaughter, things would go to the serious level immediately.
    As for the dream, in these situations, I can usually run off the nearest cliff and soar to safety, but I don't have these confrontational dreams near as often as the one with Claudia Schiffer and a Black&Decker belt sander--- I'll just leave it at that. ;)

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Would you run back inside if the door was close enough and call for help

I presume, then, that I could get back inside before he came close to conking me with the bat. If that's the case, I would go back inside and call the cops.

In the real world, it wouldn't be possible for me to get inside in time. There just wouldn't be enough distance from my door to the driveway. Plus, I'm not going to turn my back on someone charging at me with a baseball bat, so I'd have to shoot.

If life or limb is not at stake, I wouldn't shoot, under my current circumstances. Don't care that it would be legally justified, I wouldn't shoot.

Now, if I had no other possibility of altnerate transportation or was not insured for the loss, and would in jeopardy of losing my job if I couldn't make it work while made other arrangements, ability to support my family, etc. then, yep, I'd shoot away to stop my car from getting trashed while it was on my property.

Right now, I count myself lucky to have the choice.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    So i had a weird dream last night and wanted to know a few gun owners opinon. The dream goes like this...

I was at home one night just taking it easy when i hear a bunch of loud noises and glass breaking. Being like most of the IN gunowners, i took my gun with me outside, holsterd on my side of course. When i finally get outside to see whats going on, i see a man with a bat breaking every window in my car and my girlfriends car (odd dream trust me, lover not a hater here). Anywho, this man is dressed in all black is smashing out all of our windows. As soon as he sees me, he starts charging towards me with the bat cocked back ready to swing at me. Here is my question for ya'll, what would you do. Would you run back inside if the door was close enough and call for help, or would you act upon your God givin rights and defend yourself? I would like to hear what some of you would say on this. Thanks in advanced!!!:patriot:
    In March of 2004, "a neighbor came after Daniel L. Floyd with an ax handle, the Johnson County man fired his 9 mm handgun, sending one bullet into the neighbor's neck and two into his torso. The man died." Daniel not only did the right thing, but as an added bonus, no charges were filed. CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE

Customgod227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This was a dream, but i am asking if this was reality, what would you guys do. In a dream you can do anything as some have made examples of, just wanted to know what you guys would do in real life if this event took place

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    This was a dream, but i am asking if this was reality, what would you guys do. In a dream you can do anything as some have made examples of, just wanted to know what you guys would do in real life if this event took place
    I would do exactly as my post above yours states. There is no disparity of force in that situation. He has a deadly weapon and I have a deadly weapon. There is no question that I would shoot him.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    In all honesty, I would try to get back inside and call the police. If I got cornerd, and had no where to go I would defend myself. If someone is coming at me with a bat cocked back ready to strike, he/she in my eyes tends to do my bodily harm or worse. However, they will ask why you shot him in your yard. When you could have retreated to the safety of your dweling. Always remember deadly force is a last resort.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Now, if I had no other possibility of altnerate transportation or was not insured for the loss, and would in jeopardy of losing my job if I couldn't make it work while made other arrangements, ability to support my family, etc. then, yep, I'd shoot away to stop my car from getting trashed while it was on my property.

Right now, I count myself lucky to have the choice.

just a heads up. if you shot and killed someone to keep them from damaging your property you would go to jail for murder. deadly force cannot be justified unless you are in imediate fear for your life.

the second he came at you with a bat within 15 feet running, id say hes fair game for killin. but he has to be coming at you with the bat and not the car. now if theres no one around, sure call him some names and get him to attack you and no one will know any different, nor would i feel the least bit bad, but you gotta make sure he holds onto the bat and is facing you!! :) no need to retreat on your own property, he is the agressor.

lol, the poster that said hed try to deflect the first blow. i have pretty good martial arts skills and i wouldnt even try to deflect a bat if it was being swung at me to try and kill me, unless i didnt have my gun (which is never the case). dont risk your life if you dont have to. i saw a guy try to deflect a bat one time on an internet video, and he got knocked out in the first blow to his head and the rest crushed his skull and killed him.

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    just a heads up. if you shot and killed someone to keep them from damaging your property you would go to jail for murder. deadly force cannot be justified unless you are in imediate fear for your life.

Your're absolutely correct. I misstated what I meant. In the scenario, he is charging me with a bat-so rather than retreat from the attack on my person and go back into my house and watch him finish trashing my car waiting for police, then I would shoot.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    it would be so nice if we could hand out wild west justice still, or if we couldnt shoot them at least let us cut off their sacks to keep them from reproducing. it would keep the thugs in their own neighborhoods.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    The problem with retreat is that in order to move fast you would need to turn you back on him to run away, not a good idea. If you try facing him while withdrawing you will be moving backwards slowly, maybe tripping and falling, while the bad guy rapidly closes with you. I would say that tactically, backing up to give yourself more time to bring your gun to bear is fine, if he chooses to break off the attack let him run away, but if he keeps charging then you will need to use deadly force before he gets in range to hit you with the bat. Once he is close enough to hit you with the bat he can strike and kill or disable you with just one blow.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

That's what I would base my decision on. If you have an immediate fear for your life and you can articulate that to the LEO, you have a much better chance of it being called a justified/defensive shooting, rather than a shooting because someone pi**ed you off.

In the first one, after you are sure the guy is not going anywhere, call 911 and report a defensive gun use. Describe yourself and the situation. Holster your gun if it's safe to do so and be prepared to respond properly to the LEO when they arrive. You don't want to get shot by them if you're standing there with a firearm!

There are probably more things you should do like lawyering up and not wanting to get put in the back of the patrol car (the neighbors will see you and it's all about appearances. Only bad guys ride in the back.)

I agree with your later comment. Horse thieves also used to get shot, but now with the PC crowd they are protected species from being used as an example for a Darwin award.;)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah for sure. if i have to shoot someone i deffinately wont be saying squat to the cops or anyone except a lawyer. i dont say squate to the cops anyways. might take a ride for it, but atleast i know i wont be staying :)

KarBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Anderson
    As a woman and someone who has been through something similar, I guess I have a different take on the situation. I would look out my windows FIRST and when I see someone busting up my car, I'm going to call 911 and wait inside with my gun by my side. I have 3 kids inside my house and it doesn't seem sensible for me to go looking for trouble. No car is worth all the trouble and unfortunate outcomes that could result from a scenario such as this.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

the second he came at you with a bat within 15 feet running, id say hes fair game for killin. but he has to be coming at you with the bat and not the car. now if theres no one around, sure call him some names and get him to attack you and no one will know any different, nor would i feel the least bit bad, but you gotta make sure he holds onto the bat and is facing you!! :) no need to retreat on your own property, he is the agressor.

lol, the poster that said hed try to deflect the first blow. i have pretty good martial arts skills and i wouldnt even try to deflect a bat if it was being swung at me to try and kill me, unless i didnt have my gun (which is never the case). dont risk your life if you dont have to. i saw a guy try to deflect a bat one time on an internet video, and he got knocked out in the first blow to his head and the rest crushed his skull and killed him.

copy/paste from IC-35-41-3-2
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.
    No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Add fear of serious bodily injury, and preventing the commission of a forcible felony to that.

I would shoot the guy the moment he advanced on me with a weapon (bat).

Top Bottom