• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The problem with retreat is that in order to move fast you would need to turn you back on him to run away, not a good idea. If you try facing him while withdrawing you will be moving backwards slowly, maybe tripping and falling, while the bad guy rapidly closes with you. I would say that tactically, backing up to give yourself more time to bring your gun to bear is fine, if he chooses to break off the attack let him run away, but if he keeps charging then you will need to use deadly force before he gets in range to hit you with the bat. Once he is close enough to hit you with the bat he can strike and kill or disable you with just one blow.

Agreed the 3 doors into my house all have 2 steps with a different distance between them. Plus the threshold of the door. Backing up can pose a threat to my safety.

But knowing my house I would attempt to backup to increase the distance, heck 1 ft could mean the difference between life and death when faced with a bat. I would be drawing and bringing my gun to bear, if they backed down at any time I wouldn't shoot.

As a woman and someone who has been through something similar, I guess I have a different take on the situation. I would look out my windows FIRST and when I see someone busting up my car, I'm going to call 911 and wait inside with my gun by my side. I have 3 kids inside my house and it doesn't seem sensible for me to go looking for trouble. No car is worth all the trouble and unfortunate outcomes that could result from a scenario such as this.

Agreed if I could see, and even maybe if I couldn't. Parts of my driveways I can't light up from my house (yes I know major tactical error, but I'm working on it) Property can be replaced.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm not itching to shoot someone if there is the slightest chance to avoid it. I would run like hell to get back in the house where I can better protect myself and increase my chances with an improved defensive stand. Hopefully he will then realize I now have the tactical advantage plus a greatly increased number of weapons, and will leave before the police arrive. If he continues to advance and tries to enter the house then I would have no choice but to shoot.

Top Bottom