Stopped by Terre Haute PD for OC'ing -- On a Date!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Do you mean now you'd just be more sneaky about it next time now that you know full well you are breaking the law and not wanted there? They cut you a break last time, what do you think they should they do next time?

As I posted earlier in the thread. Maximum penalty for breaking this statute is $300 fine. Period. I would also do as the OP has said he would do. And break the ordinance, because I think that we have a higher right and because the penalty in the rare event that I would get caught doing so, is fairly minor.

But then again, most of your posts usually fall into the Troll category anyway.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm sure you're playing devil's advocate now... One of my reasons for OC'ing was that it is legal. OC'ing in a TH park is illegal, though, so of course I won't be OC'ing there any more.

CC is also illegal ;)

The one thing I never like about these threads is how fast people start saying his rights were violated. I KNOW several of the members on here know better, yet many of them still make the comment. He never made an indication that he wanted his encounter to end. He never made an effort to impose his rights. When it comes right down to it, he was okay with the encounter. Yes, the officers may not have been the most professional about it (tapping the gun with the light, calling his date "hun") and the removal/disarm of the firearm is probably SOP. I dont agree with it, but that is just how it is. If he had said "Get your hands off of my property, I do not consent to any search or seizure of my property. Am I free to go?" then we could all cry foul. On the other side of the fence, he would have probably gotten written up and had a very poor experience. That is the very reason I always try to comply with an officers request, even if I am not legally required to. Personal preference.

All in all, mk2ja does not seem to think his rights were trampled, so why are people saying they are? Are they trying to convince him that he should be upset with his encounter? He doesnt seem to be, in fact, he seems to be content with the fact that they did not write him a ticket for illegally carrying in the park. Just some basic observations.

On a final note, I want to congratulate mk2ja for a job well done. You handled the situation very well, both during and in the discussion on here. Also congrats on the second date, I am glad your experience did not put her off to much. Hope all goes well with that one as well!https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/mk2ja.html

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have to say, this was a very entertaining thread. :) Lots of good laughs, especially from BoRs and that last one by Printcraft had me rolling! :laugh:

OP, you handled that very well and was very lucky as well. $300 is not chump change. Regardless, I think you learned a lesson about knowing the law beforehand (however hard that may be) and that's a good thing. "Unit"'s post was very entertaining as well, but I won't neg rep him for being ignorant. Remember, please, that that's not meant as an insult. Ignorant is the lack of knowledge, while Stupid is, well, just plain dumb. :): Maybe now he realizes WHY we OC and maybe he won't be so hard on the next guy that he sees with a pistol on his hip. One can dream, right?

I also think that, while he's certainly entitled to his opinion about OC, he's completely wrong about it. I've been OCing since I got my LTCH around 18months ago. I've been hassled, I've been ordered on the ground and cuffed, but that hasn't stopped me from OCing. I don't do it so I can be hassled, but I realize that's a risk I run and fully accept that.

A lot of you chastise people when they converse with the officers hassling the citizen, but I personally would like to see police take a more hands on approach with the people they interact with. Sure, take precautions to be safe, but if you don't want to be seen as a JBT, get to know the people in your patrol sector. Stop and talk with people. Let them know who you are, what you're about, what kind of person you are. Get involved with the kids in your area. Get to know them. Do things with them. Then, when on a call with one of those people, you'll have a better idea who THEY are and maybe, just MAYBE, things might go a little smoother with less tension and less animosity on both sides.

Again, the OP handled himself well and reps for doing so. Reps to those that made me laugh. :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    CC is also illegal ;)

The one thing I never like about these threads is how fast people start saying his rights were violated. I KNOW several of the members on here know better, yet many of them still make the comment. He never made an indication that he wanted his encounter to end. He never made an effort to impose his rights. When it comes right down to it, he was okay with the encounter. Yes, the officers may not have been the most professional about it (tapping the gun with the light, calling his date "hun") and the removal/disarm of the firearm is probably SOP. I dont agree with it, but that is just how it is. If he had said "Get your hands off of my property, I do not consent to any search or seizure of my property. Am I free to go?" then we could all cry foul. On the other side of the fence, he would have probably gotten written up and had a very poor experience. That is the very reason I always try to comply with an officers request, even if I am not legally required to. Personal preference.

Great post. Especially the highlighted section. Just be careful WHAT you say when conversing with LE. If you catch yourself saying something stupid, STOP. :):

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    why do we always have to jump through hoops when an LEO feels butt hurt? let them feel the burn. It might do some of them good to feel what they make us feel like. Not all but some. << have to always put that in there or they will feel butt hurt.

If they are a good cop and do their job by the law then they should have nothing to feel bad about for us calling out people in their proffession that SUCK at their jobs.

Because that's not just a "cop" on the other end of that connection, Ranger. He's a human being who I unintentionally wronged.

I posted that message because of what I'd done wrong; that and because it's kinda tough to see the mote in someone else's eye with this plank in mine. It goes back to my reply to (I think) Roadie: It's none of my business what was PMd to Unit308, but the PM to me was what I needed to decide to put my own house in order. It's like I keep saying on other threads: they're all people; why would I go out of my way to cause them discomfort?

Blessings,
    Bill

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Certainly Bill hasn't had 2 weeks of law school but I have always found him to be pretty sharp and able to comprehend what he reads. I may not always agree with him but I feel confident in his ability to read a city ordinance.

Ahh, so someone else is beyond criticism, but I'm to be expected to have an acceptable interpretation to a criminal statute when I haven't had any study of criminal law, nor very little of statutory law in general.

I get it. Or you're just an (insert word here that would get me banned).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm actually not sure on your reading of the statute. I think there are tremendous problems with vagueness if a municipality isn't going to put up a sign and they just expect to send police officers to arrest everyone who walks into the park. That may very well be a political problem with the legislature, though.

Perhaps what it comes down to is that our preemption isn't strong enough. And threads like this are full of reasons why I carry concealed.

I'd agree with you that our preemption is not strong enough. It needs to be full preemption and also a relaxing of the laws we have, such as OC without permit, no limitation in gov't buildings with the exception of prisons and secure areas of airports (only because the latter is federal and because I'm not sure there's much difference between those areas anymore other than the time one stays in them)

That said, though, yes, a "unit", as defined in the IC, can under the current law, put up a sign or even simply make an ordinance forbidding guns in any building (or on any property) they own or manage, and the unsuspecting gun owner is suddenly in violation of the law, with neither malice nor intent.

IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23).
    (b) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.90-2010, SEC.8.
    IC 35-47-11-2
    Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
    Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    Certainly Bill hasn't had 2 weeks of law school but I have always found him to be pretty sharp and able to comprehend what he reads. I may not always agree with him but I feel confident in his ability to read a city ordinance.

What? You don't agree with me on everything? :eek: Say it ain't so! :tantrum: :lmfao:

That's not fair to dz, I think he is actually in his 3rd week.

Thank you for the correction, I certainly would not want to be accused of mischaracterizing his experience in legal matters.

Guys... To be fair, DZ is in law school and is working toward a career (I almost said "working to better himself", but then, he IS going to be a lawyer, after all... :rolleyes:) As such, he's had more formal legal training than I have, and I respect the fact that he's pursuing his goal.

DZ, the tease in the previous paragraph is because my father was an attorney as well and much like police officers, I respect the fact that someone works with ethics, scruples, and integrity toward his goal of leaving the world a better place than he found it. My advantage (and for now, it is still an advantage) is just having made more trips around the sun than you have. I wish you best of luck in your chosen field.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't mean any disrespect towards anyone. I'll argue as honestly as I know how, with anyone. But to insult me, as a person, because they disagree with how I read words, or to suggest that I ought to know better because I'm in law school, is ridiculous.

If I wanted to act like elitist scum, I'm sure I could ask who here went to college, or who graduated, or what they do for a living, or use some other subjective criteria to determine who I thought was worthy of engaging. I could marginalize others. Hell, I could just be a total ass and say that most of you will never see the inside of a law school and so your interpretation is irrelevant.

But I don't actually believe that. I think every person in a democratic society has the right to think what they want about the enacted law and opine in a public forum. That's what leads to all of us having a deeper understanding of what the law is, what our society prohibits, and what rights our courts will recognize--because, for better or worse, it's the rights the courts say we have that really matter. We can talk philosophically at length about how great it'd be to have a broader (insert right) here, but the pragmatic reality is that those discussions are just fictions.

I'd appreciate it if everyone stops mentioning I'm in law school. I come on here to get a break from law school. It's stressful and tough, and while I enjoy the challenge, sometimes I just want to chill out, have discussions about what's in the news or the daily events that we talk about here, and forget about the distinctions between (insert some obscure legal theory nobody care about) and just discuss what we think, with like-minded people. We are, after all, everyone here, gun enthusiasts. That's why we're here--not to distinguish between who is worthy of holding some deeply political opinion and who isn't.

I hope the goal of the hater isn't to make me go away. I'm not opposed to doing that, but my principles suggest that I shouldn't do that just because they want me to. That said, I'm tired of being insulted for being in law school. I haven't changed one bit since I set foot into a law school classroom, other than being more willing to engage people that I disagree with, and to try to discuss the important issues so that we can figure out what really matters in this world. I'm a grown man. I have done plenty of living. And sure, sometimes I'm gloriously wrong, but that's just part of growing up--at any age. I certainly don't think I'm immune to criticism because I'm a law student, but it's not a defining part of my existence, either. It's merely my response to my own professional calling.

In the end, if you're reading this, your blood is as red as mine, and I'll act like it if you will. Democracy would fail if we didn't all recognize this fact, and respond to it accordingly.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    This kind of stuff pisses me off. What gave them the right to check your record? You provided your LTCH and License and at the point it should have BEEN OVER.

Why is it so unacceptable to check to see if the LTCH has been revoked or suspended? There have been many people who are out driving on suspended driver's licenses, with no insurance, no money, etc., yet their license has yet to be taken by a police officer. Should cops just automatically assume someone who has a driver's license is legit? Would you feel different if you had a female relative with a crazy ex boyfriend or husband who committed domestic battery against the relative, had his license suspended, but didn't turn it in? Say that person was on their way to visit the female relative, gun in possession, to do who knows what, wouldn't you be relieved an officer who stopped him was able to secure the pistol after finding out the license had been revoked or suspended?

LEOs can always do the minimum, and if we want that, great, less work for the cops. However, there is no doubt in my mind that if we steer our cops towards doing the minimum, and taking everything a person says, and every document they give, as 100% legit, we will see more suspended driver's being sent on their way, more criminals with suspended/revoked LTCHs being sent on their way, etc.. If this has any bearing on future vehicle crashes or violent crimes committed with a handgun is all speculation. All I know is that I know of a case where a guy had a firearm, was under a restraining order for battery against his girlfriend, ended up beating another girlfriend, and had caused all sorts of damage going nuts outside one of the homes of a girlfriend....yet some folks want him to be able to produce his revoked LTCH and the cops just take that as "He is good to go!"

Fact is, you can't please everyone. I had a crash where both driver's produced driver's licenses. I did the exact same things folks here have desired: Don't run the info, take the license as legit since it is physically there. Come to find out, one person was suspended and didn't have insurance. You can guess what came next, I got a complaint for not checking the driver's license since the person also didn't have insurance. LEOs: Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

When someone's female relative is killed by an ex-lover, and relatives come to find out the ex was stopped by police, showed his revoked license, yet the cops didn't run him to find the protection order which prevented him from having guns, nor did they run the LTCH to see if it is still valid, you can bet the family will be up in arms "WHY DIDN'T THE COPS RUN THIS INFORMATION...THEY WOULD HAVE TAKEN HIS GUN HAD THEY KNOWN THIS!" Everyone seems to want cops to behave a certain way, until that behavior they so champion ends up negatively affecting them or a friend or family member. The checking info usually will take less than five minutes, at the most ten. I don't want these people being able to produce pieces of paper from five years ago and cops just have to take that information for granted. While there are many cops who do just that, there are some situations where maybe the ability to run the information through a computer system is warranted, and will help get a gun out of the hands of a person on his/her way to do harm or keep an unlicensed driver from driving a car.

A LTCH is easy enough to forge, it is nothing but black ink on pink paper. Maybe if we make it so cops can't check the status of LTCHs, we could just set-up a printing shop at the Indy 1500 and sell our own LTCHs? People could buy ours for $50.00 each, and just show them to cops when they are stopped. :D

I do not believe that the officers were "running" the LTCH, I don't think that is something they can do anyway.

They put the LTCH database on-line a few years back. If you have the right system, you can run the license. IMPD/IPD even had it set-up where they could run the info on their in-car computers, but after the switch to the new system, I guess that function no longer works.

Of course, if it is NOT a restricted location, then everything after confirming the LTCH, was against recent Indiana court rulings...

Actually, everything after confirming the LTCH is 100% legal if it is voluntary. Courts rule on this sort of stuff. Cops will usually argue the interaction was voluntary, defense attorneys may argue that two armed agents of the state put the fear of God in the person that they weren't free to go. Just how things go.

It may be that OCers need to need to "push back" by challenging LEO's who exceed their authority.

It will take legal court rulings to get things changed. I have stated this many times: Who here is willing to start a fund to pay a lawyer to start such a lawsuit? Fact remains that most courts give cops a lot of leeway, especially if there ends up being only slight detainment, no incarceration, etc.. Lawyers do their work to make money, so if they don't see winning a case, they will want to be paid a nice retainer to at least start the process.

I personally don't think cases like this are the ones to rally behind. I just don't see judges saying it is wrong for officers to take five to ten minutes to run a person's info to check for restraining orders and/or to see if the LTCH is suspended/revoked. If judges feel officers have the right to check to see if the license is valid, then I can see them ruling an officer has the right to secure the handgun until such time they have information the license is valid.

In the Richardson ruling, the court document states "And even if the facts were such that Officer Eastwood's questioning about the bulge was proper, the fact remains that Richardson's production of a valid gun permit should have resulted in the termination of any further questioning." Now, there are some issues in regards to this ruling, and why the court used the language they did:
    #1: The officer testified she always ran licenses, because she felt they could be easily faked.
    #2: The officer didn't run the license on her in car computer.
    #3: It is not stated if the officer ran the license through dispatch or not.
    #4: It is not known if the court had information from the previous trial where it was confirmed that the license was in fact "valid."

Basically, is the court saying the mere production of a pink piece of paper is enough validity the person has a "valid" license, or did they have other information available to them to make this assessment that the license was "valid"?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Why is it so unacceptable to check to see if the LTCH has been revoked or suspended? There have been many people who are out driving on suspended driver's licenses, with no insurance, no money, etc., yet their license has yet to be taken by a police officer. Should cops just automatically assume someone who has a driver's license is legit? Would you feel different if you had a female relative with a crazy ex boyfriend or husband who committed domestic battery against the relative, had his license suspended, but didn't turn it in? Say that person was on their way to visit the female relative, gun in possession, to do who knows what, wouldn't you be relieved an officer who stopped him was able to secure the pistol after finding out the license had been revoked or suspended?

LEOs can always do the minimum, and if we want that, great, less work for the cops. However, there is no doubt in my mind that if we steer our cops towards doing the minimum, and taking everything a person says, and every document they give, as 100% legit, we will see more suspended driver's being sent on their way, more criminals with suspended/revoked LTCHs being sent on their way, etc.. If this has any bearing on future vehicle crashes or violent crimes committed with a handgun is all speculation. All I know is that I know of a case where a guy had a firearm, was under a restraining order for battery against his girlfriend, ended up beating another girlfriend, and had caused all sorts of damage going nuts outside one of the homes of a girlfriend....yet some folks want him to be able to produce his revoked LTCH and the cops just take that as "He is good to go!"

Fact is, you can't please everyone. I had a crash where both driver's produced driver's licenses. I did the exact same things folks here have desired: Don't run the info, take the license as legit since it is physically there. Come to find out, one person was suspended and didn't have insurance. You can guess what came next, I got a complaint for not checking the driver's license since the person also didn't have insurance. LEOs: Dammed if they do, dammed if they don't.

When someone's female relative is killed by an ex-lover, and relatives come to find out the ex was stopped by police, showed his revoked license, yet the cops didn't run him to find the protection order which prevented him from having guns, nor did they run the LTCH to see if it is still valid, you can bet the family will be up in arms "WHY DIDN'T THE COPS RUN THIS INFORMATION...THEY WOULD HAVE TAKEN HIS GUN HAD THEY KNOWN THIS!" Everyone seems to want cops to behave a certain way, until that behavior they so champion ends up negatively affecting them or a friend or family member. The checking info usually will take less than five minutes, at the most ten. I don't want these people being able to produce pieces of paper from five years ago and cops just have to take that information for granted. While there are many cops who do just that, there are some situations where maybe the ability to run the information through a computer system is warranted, and will help get a gun out of the hands of a person on his/her way to do harm or keep an unlicensed driver from driving a car.

A LTCH is easy enough to forge, it is nothing but black ink on pink paper. Maybe if we make it so cops can't check the status of LTCHs, we could just set-up a printing shop at the Indy 1500 and sell our own LTCHs? People could buy ours for $50.00 each, and just show them to cops when they are stopped. :D

They put the LTCH database on-line a few years back. If you have the right system, you can run the license. IMPD/IPD even had it set-up where they could run the info on their in-car computers, but after the switch to the new system, I guess that function no longer works.

Actually, everything after confirming the LTCH is 100% legal if it is voluntary. Courts rule on this sort of stuff. Cops will usually argue the interaction was voluntary, defense attorneys may argue that two armed agents of the state put the fear of God in the person that they weren't free to go. Just how things go.

It will take legal court rulings to get things changed. I have stated this many times: Who here is willing to start a fund to pay a lawyer to start such a lawsuit? Fact remains that most courts give cops a lot of leeway, especially if there ends up being only slight detainment, no incarceration, etc.. Lawyers do their work to make money, so if they don't see winning a case, they will want to be paid a nice retainer to at least start the process.

I personally don't think cases like this are the ones to rally behind. I just don't see judges saying it is wrong for officers to take five to ten minutes to run a person's info to check for restraining orders and/or to see if the LTCH is suspended/revoked. If judges feel officers have the right to check to see if the license is valid, then I can see them ruling an officer has the right to secure the handgun until such time they have information the license is valid.

In the Richardson ruling, the court document states "And even if the facts were such that Officer Eastwood's questioning about the bulge was proper, the fact remains that Richardson's production of a valid gun permit should have resulted in the termination of any further questioning." Now, there are some issues in regards to this ruling, and why the court used the language they did:
    #1: The officer testified she always ran licenses, because she felt they could be easily faked.
    #2: The officer didn't run the license on her in car computer.
    #3: It is not stated if the officer ran the license through dispatch or not.
    #4: It is not known if the court had information from the previous trial where it was confirmed that the license was in fact "valid."

Basically, is the court saying the mere production of a pink piece of paper is enough validity the person has a "valid" license, or did they have other information available to them to make this assessment that the license was "valid"?

:+1: Very well said!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip
    I personally don't think cases like this are the ones to rally behind. I just don't see judges saying it is wrong for officers to take five to ten minutes to run a person's info to check for restraining orders and/or to see if the LTCH is suspended/revoked. snip

They've already issued such a ruling. You just don't appear to like it, and are stretching to find ways to break the law in order to hassle citizens.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They've already issued such a ruling. You just don't appear to like it, and are stretching to find ways to break the law in order to hassle citizens.

Friend, I think you do Indy317 a disservice. He presented a very valid, very reasonable argument—and presented it well. It merits serious consideration. There is no necessity for you assume he is trying to "hassle citizens."

You present here an attitude that I often see on posts on INGO, an attitude that concerns me. (I may have misread you, and if so i apologize in advance.) However, those who reflect this attitude give me the impression that they just do not want anyone to get in their way or tell them what to do. They prefer to handle things on their own. I find this attitude very immature and, potentially, dangerous.

We do not live in a "free country." We live in a republic where our freedom of action is limited by laws. These limitations are in place so as to allow the greatest degree of freedom and safety to all citizens. As we learned on the grade school playground, my "freedom ends at the tip of your nose." We appoint officials to adjudicate between us when there are violations of these agreed limits. Without these limitations and the officials to enforce them, no one is safe. We quickly descend to the law of "might makes right."

We need these LEOs. We need them to use their discretion in every case. The issue here is the reasonableness of an official detaining a citizen for a few minutes to ascertain if there is any reason for concern. We have extensive laws in place on probable cause; more laws regarding how long they can be detained; endless laws on what they can or cannot do during the period of detainment. I sometimes think we have so handcuffed these officials that it is impossible for them to maintain public order.

I personally do not want to live in a community where each individual handles things on their own. At some point, a disagreement will occur. If my neighbor disagrees with me, and decides to handle things on his own, I may find myself in danger. There must be properly constituted authority and officials to enforce the laws so that such disagreements are not settled as we all did things on the playground.

This reminds me that our Declaration of the Independence asserts that governments are instituted among men to secure our rights. It also asserts that when governments can no longer protect these rights it is the right of the people to alter or abolish that government and institute new governments that do provide for security of these rights. If we have reached the point that the LEOs can no longer enforce the laws, our government needs to be altered.

However, it seems to me that a reasonable balance can be achieved. Allowing an official to check on the legal status of a person found in violation of local laws is a reasonable limitation of freedom. (Please remember that the OP was in violation of a community law/ordinance/whatever regarding carrying a firearm in the park, so the officers had "probable cause" to detain and investigate his status.) The fact that these officers used their discretion to ascertain that he was an otherwise law-abiding citizen, advised him of the violation and then sent him on his way—all in less than ten minutes indicates to me these guys did their job well. What more could we ask of them?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You present here an attitude that I often see on posts on INGO, an attitude that concerns me. (I may have misread you, and if so i apologize in advance.) However, those who reflect this attitude give me the impression that they just do not want anyone to get in their way or tell them what to do. They prefer to handle things on their own. I find this attitude very immature and, potentially, dangerous.

And I find that attitude (that we can do what we wish) to be the cornerstone of a free (insert whatever word you like, liberal, enlightened, liberated) society. What you find potentially dangerous, I believe is what people have been fighting to preserve in this country for over 200 years.

If you think liberty is dangerous, don't exercise yours. But don't try to tell me that I don't have an expectation of liberty everywhere I go, because I will challenge authority anytime my liberty is restrained.

We do not live in a "free country." We live in a republic where our freedom of action is limited by laws. These limitations are in place so as to allow the greatest degree of freedom and safety to all citizens. As we learned on the grade school playground, my "freedom ends at the tip of your nose." We appoint officials to adjudicate between us when there are violations of these agreed limits. Without these limitations and the officials to enforce them, no one is safe. We quickly descend to the law of "might makes right."
    I agree, somewhat, with these statements. But they must be understood in light of the fact that we have constitutional limits on what government may do in any circumstance. Basically, what I'm saying, is that you're making an argument that doesn't pertain to the discussion we're having. Yes, we have a government. Yes, it makes laws. But there are some things that can't be legislated. Government cannot prefer religion over irreligion. Government cannot segregate the schools based on skin color. Government cannot invade my bedroom and decide which adult can sleep there. Government cannot tell me what I can write on my blog, or where I can travel, or what I can wear.

Government (and laws) don't exist to proscribe orthodoxy. That is why we have a constitution that greatly limits the circumstances in which government officials may proscribe our actions, and hold a very high standard for reviewing those incidents after they do so.

We need these LEOs. We need them to use their discretion in every case.
    Even within the context it was written, this sentence is terrifying. Giving police officers discretion in "every case" would result in a police state--a society in which the executive branch makes the laws. This isn't one of those societies, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in one.

The issue here is the reasonableness of an official detaining a citizen for a few minutes to ascertain if there is any reason for concern. We have extensive laws in place on probable cause; more laws regarding how long they can be detained; endless laws on what they can or cannot do during the period of detainment. I sometimes think we have so handcuffed these officials that it is impossible for them to maintain public order.
    We actually don't have many "laws" on this subject. We have, so far as I know, one. It's the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Even good cops are notoriously hostile to it. My ex girlfriend's father used to work on a gang unit. He told me to my face that he had arrested and detained people for "thinking gang thoughts." There are plenty of good reasons why courts review the "reasonableness" of a police officer's choice to detain someone. False imprisionment is a serious tort. We shouldn't take it so lightly.
    I personally do not want to live in a community where each individual handles things on their own. At some point, a disagreement will occur. If my neighbor disagrees with me, and decides to handle things on his own, I may find myself in danger. There must be properly constituted authority and officials to enforce the laws so that such disagreements are not settled as we all did things on the playground.
    This is the same kind of nanny state reasoning that our enemies use to say that we shouldn't be able to own guns, or carry guns, or that government must regulate (insert word here). This type of thought is antithetical to a free society. If you have a disagreement with your neighbor, talk to him like a decent human being. If it's so bad that you can't work it out, there's a civil process for that. There is no reason to involve any executive office in a dispute between two individuals unless it also constitutes a crime.

This reminds me that our Declaration of the Independence asserts that governments are instituted among men to secure our rights. It also asserts that when governments can no longer protect these rights it is the right of the people to alter or abolish that government and institute new governments that do provide for security of these rights. If we have reached the point that the LEOs can no longer enforce the laws, our government needs to be altered.
    I agree that government needs to be drastically altered. I don't think it's necessary to engage in violence to get what we want, however. The last century has shown great strides in the courts' willingness to defend our rights against government actors. There's still plenty of ground to gain, though.

However, it seems to me that a reasonable balance can be achieved. Allowing an official to check on the legal status of a person found in violation of local laws is a reasonable limitation of freedom. (Please remember that the OP was in violation of a community law/ordinance/whatever regarding carrying a firearm in the park, so the officers had "probable cause" to detain and investigate his status.) The fact that these officers used their discretion to ascertain that he was an otherwise law-abiding citizen, advised him of the violation and then sent him on his way—all in less than ten minutes indicates to me these guys did their job well. What more could we ask of them?
    I don't want violations of my freedom to merely be "reasonable." The Fourth Amendment, unfortunately, uses the word reasonable. But other parts of the Constitution don't use language so flexible. Think of the strong language in the First, Second, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments. "Congress shall make no law..." and "...shall not be infringed" and "No person shall be deprived..." etc. The kind of society I want to live in takes these statements seriously. And for the most part, our society does take these phrases seriously. You're right in pointing out that the Fourth Amendment isn't broad enough--especially in a world of electronic surveillance, GPS, and, perhaps the place where no privacy exists--the Internet.

Indy317,

You would have a point if you expected the police to have a reason to stop someone before they engaged in this process. A cop can't pull you over to see if your driver's license is violated. Once you commit an infraction, they can stop you and gather that evidence. If the same standard were applied to the LTCH, I doubt most people would care. Then again, if I were a police officer and carrying openly, and a uniformed officer tried to stop me, I'd be willing to bet every dollar in my wallet that a flash of the badge would send me on my way.

Someone who is carrying a gun openly is most likely not a threat to anyone. There's not much society has to gain from having police officers stop them and "investigate" every time they observe it. It's really not that different than me, as a citizen, stopping every police officer to check their ID, call it in, and make sure they have the authority to be on the street and in that uniform, or driving the public's car, or whatever. We just have to have some confidence in our fellow man in a free society. We can't assume that everyone's a criminal or out to harm us, without further evidence.

Last edited:

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    As long as there are thugs illegally carrying firearms around in their wastebands I don't mind the police checking my ltch. I'm not talking about people on this site, I'm referring to criminals or gangbangers who illegally carry a gun. I usually don't want the questions/stares/mwag calls that occur where I live therefore I usually CC. If I do choose to OC, I don't cry bloody murder when a cop wants to check to see if I have any warrants. I understand that everyone has the right to OC and I fully support that right but crying like a baby when you are asked to show your ltch and MAYBE your driver's license is getting old. Props to the OP on handling the situation well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

You present here an attitude that I often see on posts on INGO, an attitude that concerns me. (I may have misread you, and if so i apologize in advance.) snip

You have not misread me. The attitude you perceive is that of a free citizen.

Freedom frightens many people.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    As long as there are thugs illegally carrying firearms around in their wastebands I don't mind the police checking my ltch. I'm not talking about people on this site, I'm referring to criminals or gangbangers who illegally carry a gun. I usually don't want the questions/stares/mwag calls that occur where I live therefore I usually CC. If I do choose to OC, I don't cry bloody murder when a cop wants to check to see if I have any warrants. I understand that everyone has the right to OC and I fully support that right but crying like a baby when you are asked to show your ltch and MAYBE your driver's license is getting old. Props to the OP on handling the situation well.

I don't see anyone "crying like a baby". I would suggest you educate yourself on the laws regarding the carry of a firearm as well as the 4th AMENDMENT before you make posts such as this. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    SIGH...

It was not that long ago a Man's word was his bond...
    I think that is the largest rub for me. My Honor and Integrity being treated like it is non-existent. Respect is a 2 way street. When I am treated like an Adult, I tend to treat the others I am engaged with in a similar fashion.

I find it amazing that people, expect so much from Service Members in the way we treat everyone to include Non-Uniformed Combatants. But, yet LEOs tend to have a lot more leeway in how they are allowed to interact with the very Citizens they are paid to oversee (SCOTUS, says it is no longer Serve and Protect so I feel oversee is appropriate).

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    SIGH...

It was not that long ago a Man's word was his bond...
    I think that is the largest rub for me. My Honor and Integrity being treated like it is non-existent. Respect is a 2 way street. When I am treated like an Adult, I tend to treat the others I am engaged with in a similar fashion.

I find it amazing that people, expect so much from Service Members in the way we treat everyone to include Non-Uniformed Combatants. But, yet LEOs tend to have a lot more leeway in how they are allowed to interact with the very Citizens they are paid to oversee (SCOTUS, says it is no longer Serve and Protect so I feel oversee is appropriate).

I agree. Badged :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom