Stopped by Terre Haute PD for OC'ing -- On a Date!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    :wow:

There have been many, many posts that I've wanted to rep, but it would put me over the daily limit. I'll try to get people back as I can, but it may be a while.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    And on a personal level? I wonder why a gal would want to go out on a date/dates with someone who openly carries a handgun and who seems to enjoy and, indeed, invite his confrontations with law officers?
    It's a shame you are so quick to judge someone you have never met.
    I have met mk2ja and spoke with him in person on 2 different occasions.
    He is a good kid.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    CC / OC, there's nothing in the ordinance that I see treats one any different from the other.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 to OP you handled that extremely well. You were calm and cool under pressure and weren't a jerk to the cops. Maybe next time the cops will take it easy knowing that not everyone who carries has an attitude.

I agree with @Joe Williams, this should have never happened. But it did, you handled it well. I hope that I handle such a situation as well should it ever arise.

:cheers:

Also, congrats on date number two! Sounds like you have a smart new girlfriend. :yesway:

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Cop 2, to me now: We're gonna get you out of here, man. We're not taking your s**t, you're not getting a ticket. I think everybody outta have a gun personally, but, in the park, at an alcohol event, absolutely not. (I had no idea it was an alcohol event until he said that!)
    Doesn't matter what his personal opinion is on that, you can carry in places that serve alcohol.

Congrats on getting date #2!

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Since a city violation was committed, i'm seeing that the opinions of Unit308 are justified. The officers in this situation handled it well as did the OP thus the reason he was allowed to leave with no reprocussions. KUDOS to both sides.

I've read this thread from start to the current state and must say that i'm a bit disapointed in the way the round table went on this one BUT maybe that's cause i've always held INGO and it's members in the highest regard and still do.

Just sayin' I think we can do a little better .... :ingo: especially the comments about negative reps being given. REALLY ??? c'mon folks.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    CC / OC, there's nothing in the ordinance that I see treats one any different from the other.

No, no difference as far as the ordinance is concerned - just that one makes it obvious you're breaking the ordinance and the other means you can carry anyway and still not have troubles with the cops.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    His name is Unit.........
    hehehhhehehehhehehehheheeeeehehehehee
    Unit...hehhehhhehehehheheehe
    Beavis-Butthead-Returns.jpg

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I would like to offer a public apology to any LEO who I unintentionally offended with a phrase I used in an earlier post. I received a PM telling me that the term "tin shield" is taken as a derogatory comparison to a security guard or other, less-trained worker (similar in my field to calling a paramedic an "ambulance driver", a term from the very early days when and shortly after the ambulances were actually hearses.

I intended no insult but was attempting to show that a person's merits and demerits, his/her character or lack thereof, his worth as a human being, do not come from a piece of metal pinned to a uniform shirt but from within him/herself.

If I have given the impression, as I was told, that I am anti-LEO, I am not. I am anti-bad(/crooked)-LEO. Those who hold their oath sacred, I hold in high regard. Those who do not, who have neither integrity nor scruples have instead, my contempt.

The person who wrote me wrote a polite version of a rant. I appreciate very much his coming to me directly with the issues he brought, and I respect his opinions. It is through discussion and the sharing of opinions and perspectives that we learn things we did not know previously.

Once again, my apologies if my words have offended.

Blessings,
    Bill

why do we always have to jump through hoops when an LEO feels butt hurt? let them feel the burn. It might do some of them good to feel what they make us feel like. Not all but some. << have to always put that in there or they will feel butt hurt.

If they are a good cop and do their job by the law then they should have nothing to feel bad about for us calling out people in their proffession that SUCK at their jobs.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    No, no difference as far as the ordinance is concerned - just that one makes it obvious you're breaking the ordinance and the other means you can carry anyway and still not have troubles with the cops.

Do you mean now you'd just be more sneaky about it next time now that you know full well you are breaking the law and not wanted there? They cut you a break last time, what do you think they should they do next time?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since a city violation was committed, i'm seeing that the opinions of Unit308 are justified. The officers in this situation handled it well as did the OP thus the reason he was allowed to leave with no reprocussions. KUDOS to both sides.

I've read this thread from start to the current state and must say that i'm a bit disapointed in the way the round table went on this one BUT maybe that's cause i've always held INGO and it's members in the highest regard and still do.

Just sayin' I think we can do a little better .... :ingo: especially the comments about negative reps being given. REALLY ??? c'mon folks.

I would like to say I am very sorry if I contributed to your disappointment in some way.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Wow this took forever to catch up on... Now it makes me want to figure out where I can find the city ordinance for our local parks...
    Columbus, Bartholomew County if anyone knows where there's a central repository...
    To the OP, I've always found in my experience, that being polite and courteous to an LEO can save you a LOT of hassle, if not at the time, at least later.
    I'll relate my story on that particular point...
    I was 16, driving my girlfriend home after a date on a semi-rural road in my parents' minivan. The vehicle in front of me was going probably 5+ mph UNDER the speed limit, so I passed. However, in mid-pass, my passing zone ran out and double yellow came up, so instead of coasting back, I completed the pass safely, and continued. The vehilce I passed lit up land pulled me over.
    The LEO that came up was known to me by reputation (was a town marshall), was in a t-shirt, but uniform pants, gunbelt, and had his badge out as he approached my window. To paraphrase the conversation, he felt I'd cut in a little close at the end of my pass. At this point, my girlfriend pops off with
    "I thought you had to be in uniform to pull someone over"
    in a rather nasty tone. I immediately tried to shut her up. He proceeeds to explain that since she felt we needed a uniform, he'd be happy to call one, and when the uniformed officer showed up, he'd have the officer write a ticket and he would sign it, since he witnessed the infraction, because he was going to let me off with a warning. We wait 25 minutes, uniform Sheriff's Deputy arrives, I get a ticket, take her home with her fuming about how she hates cops the whole way...
    Fast forward about 35 minutes... Roughly 10 minutes after I walk in the door at home (everyone else is asleep) the phone rings, and it's the officer asking for me. He proceeeds to explain that he's spoken with his supervisor (or whatever the proper term was) and at his discretion, he was going to give me his address, I was to mail the ticket back, and he would destroy it and my infraction would be noted as a verbal warning. He did that because he told me he didn't feel right holding what my date said against me, because I was courteous and polite, and repeatedly asked her to be quiet.

Courtesy can go a long way, and I bet was a major factor in you getting home without a ticket, and possibly a date #2 (look for how your date treats others, etc.)
    +1 to you.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only three things that I find wrong (annoying me, not possibly bad) done by the THPD;
    Tapping his Pistol with a light very unprofessional in my mind.
    Removing said Pistol For "everyone's" Safety.
    And calling his date Hun.
    -My wife would have gone into full thermal nuclear meltdown anger mode for someone calling here that...

The attitude displayed by Unit...
    I would have been very courteous to his face during any encounter that we would have. However I would probably be on the phone with his next higher supervisors before he finished driving away from the exchange...
    I learned it is counterproductive to disagree/argue with the LEO in front of you. However if you call his Supervisor, Chief, Sheriff, Mayor, etc. It is a lot more productive...

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Do you mean now you'd just be more sneaky about it next time now that you know full well you are breaking the law and not wanted there? They cut you a break last time, what do you think they should they do next time?

What I'm trying to put as delicately as possible is that IF I were to be in a Terre Haute park and IF I were to be armed at the time, I wouldn't make it obvious I was armed. And now, I wish to exercise my fifth amendment right and count on my fourth amendment rights to protect me in any future visits to a TH park.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    All 30 of my most recent reps are now from this thread. And I think there are something around 33-35 actually. I did get one negative rep, but the comment was supportive, so it was clearly a mistake! Haha. Thanks to everybody for your support. I was definitely not expecting this much of it!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    What I'm trying to put as delicately as possible is that IF I were to be in a Terre Haute park and IF I were to be armed at the time, I wouldn't make it obvious I was armed. And now, I wish to exercise my fifth amendment right and count on my fourth amendment rights to protect me in any future visits to a TH park.

What about all those laundry list of reasons for you to be OCing you were giving the officers on the scene and quoting here? Don't those matter any more? How will the sheeple be educated now? How will you achieve maximum comfort? What about those legalities you were talking about and all your rights?

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    What about all those laundry list of reasons for you to be OCing you were giving the officers on the scene and quoting here? Don't those matter any more? How will the sheeple be educated now? How will you achieve maximum comfort? What about those legalities you were talking about and all your rights?

I'm sure you're playing devil's advocate now... One of my reasons for OC'ing was that it is legal. OC'ing in a TH park is illegal, though, so of course I won't be OC'ing there any more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom