• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Well done. Even if neither party was absolutely correct, you both went home ok and free. With that said. I Always CC, once in a while I OC as well. Very rarely. I Believe you may carry however you like so long as you practice the same way. I prefer to CC because Heaven forbid some BG's show up, I have an element of surprise. Also Were they to come up behind me I would not be putting a target on my back by announcing that I had a gun. If they are serious about their mischief, A OC er is the first one shot be it LEO or Citizen. IMHO

The Few times I have OC is because Of a gut feeling. The presence of an armed person can straighten out unruly and NOT hard core BG's. So go with your gut!

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    However, I've given it some thought and would respond that they should show me in writing where the state (or their business policy states in writing...and which they need to have it posted publically) that I need to CC rather than OC on their premises. Put the burden of proof on them...not their words!

Nothing in the trespassing code requires that they have the notification in writing. If the property owner or an agent of the owner requests that you leave (for any reason other then a protected status) and you refuse for it not being in writing you have a very good chance of being removed from the property in handcuffs. The owner is not required to publicly post their policies. A verbal notification is sufficient under the law.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I thought at one time there was a list of anti-gun business listed on a thread here?

It would be nice to have a data base spreadsheet that can be up-dated so we can spend our money at gun friendly business. However I must admit that I haven't been to a mall in years.....

Apparently we also need a list of anti gun members...... :D

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Nothing in the trespassing code requires that they have the notification in writing. If the property owner or an agent of the owner requests that you leave (for any reason other then a protected status) and you refuse for it not being in writing you have a very good chance of being removed from the property in handcuffs. The owner is not required to publicly post their policies. A verbal notification is sufficient under the law.
    If they ask you to leave, correct. If they ask you to take the gun to the car, or cover it up, that's not exactly the same thing.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can understand why Simon may want to ban guns from their malls. There was a ND at Eastland Mall in Evansville a couple years ago. I don't think the guy/gal was OCing but somehow managed to screw up. If this has happened at different places they are justifiably jumpy. Beside, their insurance underwriter probably has made it clear that guns are a no no.

I've been there several times in the last year. There are no signs when entering the mall from the J.C. Penny store. I just belt carried and had a loose over shirt. No problems. I'm not there to make a statement but be prepared if something happens.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For supporting a charge of trespassing in the moment, you are right, but the criminal trespass statute does make provision for preemptory charges of criminal trespassing, if the property owner/proprietor or their agent places a notice on the main entrance in a place likely to come to the notice of the public, then they don't have to confront you for you to already be guilty of criminal trespass.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Two thoughts for you.

1. There is no excuse for open carry in a mall. None.

2. Circle Center recently installed a credit card reader in one exit lane of all garages. In the one attached to the Convention Center, it's the one on the far right to exit onto Georgia St.

Please shut up.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well done. Even if neither party was absolutely correct, you both went home ok and free. With that said. I Always CC, once in a while I OC as well. Very rarely. I Believe you may carry however you like so long as you practice the same way. I prefer to CC because Heaven forbid some BG's show up, I have an element of surprise. Also Were they to come up behind me I would not be putting a target on my back by announcing that I had a gun. If they are serious about their mischief, A OC er is the first one shot be it LEO or Citizen. IMHO

The Few times I have OC is because Of a gut feeling. The presence of an armed person can straighten out unruly and NOT hard core BG's. So go with your gut!

128736629770803705.jpg

Sorry, but your opinion has ZERO verifiable basis in fact. Yours is a mantra spread by the anti-OC crowd that is taken as truth, where there is no such truth to be found..

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can understand why Simon may want to ban guns from their malls. There was a ND at Eastland Mall in Evansville a couple years ago. I don't think the guy/gal was OCing but somehow managed to screw up. If this has happened at different places they are justifiably jumpy. Beside, their insurance underwriter probably has made it clear that guns are a no no.

I've been there several times in the last year. There are no signs when entering the mall from the J.C. Penny store. I just belt carried and had a loose over shirt. No problems. I'm not there to make a statement but be prepared if something happens.
    I doubt the ND had anything to do with their policy. Simon properties have been victim disarmament zones for at least the last 10 years that I can recall. Probably longer. I just CC and avoid any hassle. Of course I usually print like the devil, so it all evens out. :D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    For supporting a charge of trespassing in the moment, you are right, but the criminal trespass statute does make provision for preemptory charges of criminal trespassing, if the property owner/proprietor or their agent places a notice on the main entrance in a place likely to come to the notice of the public, then they don't have to confront you for you to already be guilty of criminal trespass.

This has been argued many time here, and IIRC correctly our resident attorneys disagree with you.

The consensus that there is a difference between a sign that says:

7396462-sign-indicating-no-guns-are-allowed.jpg

..and one that says:

latewinter2011+093.JPG

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    OP, while I certainly think you handled it properly all things considered (and a major +1 for trying to edumicate the ignorant!), it is also true that the property owner can say he doesn't want folks to carry on their premises. One of the reasons I avoid the mall.

Blart junior was ignorant of the law by his statements. What he should have said was "The owner of this private property has asked that no firearms be carried, please remove it and put it in your vehicle or leave." Then you could have made your decision and gone about your day. There SHOULD be signs posted, of course... but we all know how that goes.:rolleyes:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ND = Negligent Discharge a.k.a. Accidental Discharge (AD), but with the proper connotation of bad action on the carrier/owner's part.

Where's the sticky thread with the acronym guide in the first post?

@ Roadie:
    That falls to the "reasonable person" standard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom