• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Christmas starts earlier every year, even for thieves.

More unintended consequences, GFZs help put more guns in criminals hands. When will the Anti's learn their laws are stupid?

Im sorry, but its in a locked car. It is secure. Its not a high level of security but is still secure.

I generally agree with you.

However, location can help. Hidden rather than just stuffing under your seat. I have a small safe in my trunk that makes a smash and grab of my gun harder. If I know I am going to have to stop at a GFZ (school, courthouse...) I will stop a few blocks before I get there to hide/secure my gun. That way someone is not watching me hide something that might be valuable and walk away.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If anyone actually believes that a "locked" car is secure then they need to study up on how ridiculously easy it is to pick locks - especially the locks used on automobiles. The type of locks commonly found on car doors and consoles and glove boxes (wafer locks) are just about the easiest to pick or bypass (next to file cabinets and desks). Considering how many stories I have read about guns being stolen from Federal and other law enforcement vehicles they should read up on it too. I understand that your gun has to be somewhere since we have so many places you cannot take it but don't believe for one minute that it is "secure" in a vehicle.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If anyone actually believes that a "locked" car is secure then they need to study up on how ridiculously easy it is to pick locks - especially the locks used on automobiles. The type of locks commonly found on car doors and consoles and glove boxes (wafer locks) are just about the easiest to pick or bypass (next to file cabinets and desks). Considering how many stories I have read about guns being stolen from Federal and other law enforcement vehicles they should read up on it too. I understand that your gun has to be somewhere since we have so many places you cannot take it but don't believe for one minute that it is "secure" in a vehicle.

dont forget how easy it is to simply bust the glass. Who needs to bother picking a lock when you just need one of these. (or in the case of my last break in, a pellet pistol)
    31Zvt8bilEL._SX355_.jpg

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

So kick in my back door vs bust the glass out of my truck window, what's the difference?

MikeOrtiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    East Chicago
    Well, I can say. I have been a victim to gun car theft. I had come home from dinner with my old lady and we were very tired. I had left my Glock 30 .45 in the car. Poof. It vanished. I woke up had breakfast and went off about my day. When I opened the car door and it was unlocked I just knew it was gone. Silly mistake I will not try to repeat.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I think the OP was just saying if you are going to leave them, make sure they are secure. I have a lock box in each of my cars that is out of sight and would take some doing to get it open or out. I advise that if you have to leave it in your car, buy one of these and mount it directly to the vehicle in an out of sight place. Then you have eliminated the risk of grab and dash. IMHO

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So kick in my back door vs bust the glass out of my truck window, what's the difference?

Smashing a window and grabbing things laying inside is MUCH faster and takes exponentially less effort. Plus, they can LOOK inside your car and know you arent there. (and sometimes know exactly whether there is anything worth grabbing) Not so at home.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Curious how many are opportunists?(read insurance fraud)

Mostly none. What's your deductible? Is it worth reporting $600-ish stuff stolen?

Car break-ins are WAY more common than burglaries. It's also often fairly organized. They will scout a parking lot looking for exposed backpacks, purses, laptop bags, etc. and then hit multiple cars very quickly and then roll to the next parking lot. It's especially common during Christmas shopping season, but gyms and the like have the issue year round.

As far as "victim blaming" sometimes the victim contributes to the crime. When I was on the street I had a gym on my last beat that was getting eaten up with car break-ins. I started putting big yellow "tickets" on cars that had exposed valuables with an explanation of what I saw from outside the vehicle (your purse, your $600 cell phone, your backpack, your laptop, your $20 bills, etc.) and that if I was a thief instead of a cop I would have broken their window and had their things in just a few seconds and been gone, secure and hide your stuff. The gym agreed to put a flier I made in the locker rooms and at the front desk. After a few weeks of this...car break ins dropped to zero for quite awhile. If I got a new one there, I'd yellow ticket again for a bit, and it would return to zero. The same plan at places with high turnover, like a grocery store, didn't work because too many people only come occasionally and don't get the message until it's too late. Lesson: "victim" actions matter.

This fatalistic "if it's going to happen, it's going to happen" is BS. People do things based on perceived risk vs perceived reward. Reduce the reward, and lower your chances of being victimized. Increase the risk, lower your chances of being victimized. Slowing the thief down increases the risk, so those little safes that attach via wire to the seat frame can help. Not leaving other valuables in plain view is a giant step in not being broken into. Locking your doors, having a car alarm, etc. all of these things layer security and reduce your odds of being victimized.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

There are no guns besides the one on my hip in my house that is not locked in a safe. I take every precaution as a responsible gun owner to secure my firearms. First off I paid too much to lose them and keeping them out of the hands of thieves is even more important.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I think the two things we should take away from this is
    A: Don't leave ANYTHING valuable in plain sight in your car. A clean, boring looking car is a safer car.
    B: This is why God gave us Hi Points. Once verified to be dependable, they are the ideal car or truck gun.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I want that, but it won't work in my Jeep, the gear shift is in the way. :(

Maybe one like this will work in you Jeep

Thieves are lazy. Even a $20 lock box will help to secure you gun. If they have to spend much effort they will just move along or possibly be there long enough or be loud enough to get caught.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This is why I had a MagnaVolt security system installed in my car.

[video=youtube;uRNVxHPJ0hM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRNVxHPJ0hM[/video]

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Locks are for honest people, it is a deterrent that is all. As said before if they want it, then they will take it. Your house is about as secure as your vehicle. The only difference is that your neighbors are an added layer of security. So leaving firearms and valuables anywhere unsecured is asking for trouble.

Why are we playing the blame game? It's the victims fault because he should have prepared better for someone to break into his vehicle. Complete BS, criminals just shouldn't be ****ing criminals. Why is it so hard to be a good person? Mostly because the pay sucks for the amount of work involved I guess.

Realistically, we probably should prepare for break ins and it's sad that we live in a place where that is an expectation. I have most of my firearms locked in a safe as they should be.

As for leaving guns in vehicles, sometimes it's a necessity. Maybe we should have more secured parking where it is a necessity ie the workplace.
    As for the gym, use a locker WITH your own lock instead of hiding it in your car.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Locks are for honest people, it is a deterrent that is all. As said before if they want it, then they will take it. Your house is about as secure as your vehicle. The only difference is that your neighbors are an added layer of security. So leaving firearms and valuables anywhere unsecured is asking for trouble.

Why are we playing the blame game? It's the victims fault because he should have prepared better for someone to break into his vehicle. Complete BS, criminals just shouldn't be ****ing criminals. Why is it so hard to be a good person? Mostly because the pay sucks for the amount of work involved I guess.

Realistically, we probably should prepare for break ins and it's sad that we live in a place where that is an expectation. I have most of my firearms locked in a safe as they should be.

As for leaving guns in vehicles, sometimes it's a necessity. Maybe we should have more secured parking where it is a necessity ie the workplace.
    As for the gym, use a locker WITH your own lock instead of hiding it in your car.

Instead of getting wrapped around the axle about "fault" just look at it as reducing your own risk. WTF carry firearms if we're just going to say "if they are going to victimize us, they are going to victimize us."

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    And THERE lies the actual problem. "Variable/limited/selective" Constitutional rights. I'm just sure that's what the Founders had in mind........

Top Bottom