Stop Insulting My Vote (a libertarian rant)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It's up to you guys. My vote is not up for you to take. It is there for you to win. Why? Because my vote is far too valuable.

You said in another thread that you want to make adultery illegal, according to the libertarians here you'd be best served by R's, right? What's the problem buby?:dunno:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Too many Libertarians now stand for NO goverment, NO taxes, and NO rules instead of freedom.

As I said, the party has been taken over by anarchists among others, and no longer represents pragmatic, workable solutions to crafting and governing a viable society. "Ideals or nothing" isn't a feasible way of running a free society when not everybody shares those ideals. If Libertarians as now constituted got into power, their attempts to force their ideals on everybody else would create a tyranny greater than any that is threatened now.

Ah yes, the terrible tyranny of limited government.

On a serious note though, in case you weren't paying attention in the fall of 2008, a large bulk of libertarian-minded citizens supported one of your very own Republicans. Unfortunately, you guys wanted a pandering man, who doesn't understand (how do you say? sh!@ about fu!@?) anything, to represent you instead.

Oh, I do enjoy Republican surprise that stick-up-the-arse/political-stances-on-the-winds McCain was beaten in the R-vs-D popularity contest by a black man with the comfortable outward personality of Bill Cosby/Morgan Freeman & with the shining charisma of a rock star who was promising many free things & door prizes.

Yeah...didn't see that coming.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You said in another thread that you want to make adultery illegal, according to the libertarians here you'd be best served by R's, right? What's the problem buby?:dunno:

I said that it is best for everyone that my personal desires are left out of law. I fundamentally believe that it is best that your desires and all the "do it for the children" people's desires are also left out.

Otherwise we are doomed to expansion of government matched with a huge swinging pendulum. Imagine Noah's Ark on the end of a pendulum and you get where we are headed. More and more "pets" are getting jammed in and the only change is the direction of the pendulum swing.

That way only leads to the sound of snapping wood, screams, and bloody rubble.

So the only path to salvation, to emptying the ark, is for me to admit to myself that it is best that we all step back from cramming in pets. And while I might like the idea of adulterers prisons (as an example), it is better for the Republic itself that I do not get that wish or even wish it in a real way.

Make sense?

Now if you want to hear what my specific problems are with the republican party, I am happy to opine all day. But that might be considered a thread jack.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

I guess it depends on what kind of illegal he's talking about. Adultery is a breach of contract, and libertarians support the sanctity of contract. If this is what he meant, he's got no quarrel with libertarians.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I see a lot of complaints about anarchism, mostly from people who have no clue what they are talking about. Do any of you notice there is one common thread running through all of your arguments and bitching? GOVERNMENT. Shouldn't that tell you something?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I guess it depends on what kind of illegal he's talking about. Adultery is a breach of contract, and libertarians support the sanctity of contract. If this is what he meant, he's got no quarrel with libertarians.

I wish Libertarians would at least make sense. He said illegal as in "adulterers' prisons," I think that's pretty clearly put. Contracts are strictly interpreted by their terms, did you ever see a marriage license that spelled out expectations. No, neither have I, maybe in states with covenant marriages (all 3 of them) there are actual agreements but there are no penalties (contract law demands provable or contract damages). That's my problem with libertarians, they spend their days pronouncing grandiloquent non sequitors like that rather than trying to win elections. They invite the electorate to see them as pie-in-the-sky kooks and then are surprised when they do. As long as they don't try to win elections, they will be beat by the guys who do every time and will continue to maintain their irrelevance, even as a marginal party.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I wish Libertarians would at least make sense. He said illegal as in "adulterers' prisons," I think that's pretty clearly put. Contracts are strictly interpreted by their terms, did you ever see a marriage license that spelled out expectations. No, neither have I, maybe in states with covenant marriages (all 3 of them) there are actual agreements but there are no penalties (contract law demands provable or contract damages). That's my problem with libertarians, they spend their days pronouncing grandiloquent non sequitors like that rather than trying to win elections. They invite the electorate to see them as pie-in-the-sky kooks and then are surprised when they do. As long as they don't try to win elections, they will be beat by the guys who do every time and will continue to maintain their irrelevance, even as a marginal party.

No, you did not get what I said. I said that when we all get whatever our hearts desire we end up with a nanny state and all you get to decide is if it is a "green" nanny state or a "red white & blue" nanny state.

I don't want a nanny state.

I used adulterer's prisons as an example of something I would think is fair, and would implement if I were grand high poobah. But it is something I will never get, and gladly, because the social contract that is best is one that stays out of that area of affairs.

What do I want? Less intrusion by the left AND THE RIGHT into the liberties and privacies of the individual. I want a Republic that values its individuals rather than trying to control them with fear of this or that.

My comment was trying to be clear that I understand the temptation to drive my personal desires into law and then use them to shape my vision of the perfect America. And my comment was that I also am glad that neither I, nor you, nor anyone gets that chance.

I used "adulterer's prisons" as an example of a desire, not as a political platform.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

I find it amazing that, with your much higher post count than mine, you are apparently unfamiliar with the concept of cross-posting, something which any handy 12-year-old would probably be happy to explain to you.

You also apparently have some trouble with the word "if", a conditional qualifier that indicates uncertainty on the part of the speaker. Trust me, it's a real word. You can find it in the dictionary.

Given your handicaps, I guess it's no real surprise that you vote Republican.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I am for OPEN Immigration and am ANTI-English as the national language./rant

As I laid off construction worker , I can't tell you on this site how much this attitude annoys the CRAP outta me !

As I see it , when you flood the country with immigrants who don't share your countries values and customs , you wind up DESTROYING your country .

I invite you to take a drive with me on W. Washington St , between Holt Rd. & White river PKWY. . Then explain to me what freakin value did they add to the community by being here .

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As I laid off construction worker , I can't tell you on this site how much this attitude annoys the CRAP outta me !

As I see it , when you flood the country with immigrants who don't share your countries values and customs , you wind up DESTROYING your country .

I invite you to take a drive with me on W. Washington St , between Holt Rd. & White river PKWY. . Then explain to me what freakin value did they add to the community by being here .

Ask yourself WHY the immigrants are coming here.

If you answered "because of government handouts", then I don't think you have a firm base from which to argue against The Meach's point*S*. He's not saying that's the only thing he'd change. He would end the reason that the worst & least bright choose to immigrate to the US.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Ask yourself WHY the immigrants are coming here.If you answered "because of government handouts", then I don't think you have a firm base from which to argue against The Meach's point*S*. He's not saying that's the only thing he'd change. He would end the reason that the worst & least bright choose to immigrate to the US.

I wasn't thinking of "handouts" , I was thinking more along the lines of stealing work .

Why pay an American $1,200 to lay your tile when you can get a Hecho in mexico to do it for $500 ?

Why pay an American IT person $60,000 when you can sub it out to someone in india for $25,000 ?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    That's the other thing about libertarians, they think personal attacks constitute "debate."

Yeah, I apologize for that one. It was written in anger and completely unnecessary. I tend to get pissy when people willfully disregard the clear meaning of my posts; it's a personal failing.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I wasn't thinking of "handouts" , I was thinking more along the lines of stealing work .

Why pay an American $1,200 to lay your tile when you can get a Hecho in mexico to do it for $500 ?

Why pay an American IT person $60,000 when you can sub it out to someone in india for $25,000 ?

Why pay $3.00 a gallon for gas when you can go down the street and get it for $2.50?

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Ask yourself WHY the immigrants are coming here.

If you answered "because of government handouts", then I don't think you have a firm base from which to argue against The Meach's point*S*. He's not saying that's the only thing he'd change. He would end the reason that the worst & least bright choose to immigrate to the US.

Why do you think? There's a whole lot of illegals in jail too, why are they here. A lot of them want to work, sure, I agree, you saying none of them are here for free healthcare and welfare and wic and.......

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I would suggest that everyone go back and read the viceral threads from right around election day last year. At its peak, I was told that if I just voted Republican this one time in order to stop Obama, then afterwards we could talk and make needed changes to bring my type into the Republican party by choice and not threat.

One poster even offered (jokingly I am sure) to vote 3rd party next time if I just went Republican "this one time".

So what happens now?

Those same Republicans are not making the changes, but instead are rolling out the same threats and blame that they seem to think will win them the next election. Oh, wait, they aren't really thinking of "how to win", they are really thinking "how not to lose".

So, to be clear, Republicans will not win over the 3rd party people through threat, shame, name calling, and so forth. Frankly, they will not win over the 3rd party people until they decide to treat them like equals and talk to them rather than deciding that we are just a bunch of voters that have "gone full retard".

It's up to you guys. My vote is not up for you to take. It is there for you to win. Why? Because my vote is far too valuable.

Will someone please respond to this post?! Everyone wants to nit pick name calling and whatever else and don't respond to intelligent posts.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Why pay $3.00 a gallon for gas when you can go down the street and get it for $2.50?

Thats not the same thing. I pay more for American goods when I can just because an American has a job because of it. Unfortunately manufacturing is all but destroyed in this country which is why we notice the large cost of illegals on the system. There's not enough of these jobs for us and them, just that simple. I don't work in maufacturing or construction, I have a degree and work in a hospital so this is not real real personal issue.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thats not the same thing. I pay more for American goods when I can just because an American has a job because of it. Unfortunately manufacturing is all but destroyed in this country which is why we notice the large cost of illegals on the system. There's not enough of these jobs for us and them, just that simple. I don't work in maufacturing or construction, I have a degree and work in a hospital so this is not real real personal issue.

Well, I do work in a field that competes with foreign labor. I'm a computer programmer. I compete against thousands of people willing to make half my salary. I beat them by being a better employee who does demonstrably better work, and charge a premium for my services because of it. All competition has done is force me to be better at my job, so I don't really see the problem.

Top Bottom