• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    The stepdad may be in a deep hole. If I read correctly he has a criminal record. I am starting to think the gun was not legally posessed.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    The step dad is nutz,you know when he was young he probably did the same thing except with somone elses daughter. maybe he should of had the talk with the daughter about horny young boys. it takes 2 too tango

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    That is an interesting point, so lets play this one out a bit, in line with what Jack posted as well.

Consider a few facts (I don't know that these are actual facts from this case, but assume they are for the scenario).

1) The stepdad is the legal owner of the home - name is on the mortage, lease agreement, deed, etc.

2) He has explicitely warned the 18year old male not to step foot on his property.

Is the daughter's invitation enough to override the father's warning? If the 18year old refused to leave, what would be the next steps of elevation?

I would assume that the next step should have been calling the authorities and reporting a trespasser.

I'm sure that the stepfather was caught up in a moment of emotion and rage. It is no excuse for shooting the young man unless that young man made a real threat on the stepfather's life.

I was young and fueled by hormones once too, and know what teenage guys are thinking about doing with teenaged girls, and vice versa. But that still won't prevent me from doing all I can to make sure than nobody touches my daughter until she has a wedding ring on her finger. :drill:

I can vividly remember some real threats my dates' fathers gave me when picking up their daughter for a date. The one that stuck with me the most was "no hanky panky tonight, or I'll break your face."
    The article indicated that the sex consensual, so it's only logical that his presence in the house was consensual too. From the article:

"His relatives said Harp and the girl have been dating for over one year and it is the first known time there's been a confrontation involving the stepfather."

On those facts alone, you can't call him a trespasser - at least not logically or legally.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    May be Dad has paid to raise some other kid's "wild oats" already and knows where all the bills go. The kid was "tresspassing". He got off easy. The taxpayers should refund his expenses for the teachable moment he stepped up to his responsibilities.

:bs:

I cant believe how you spend so much time preaching personal accountability, and then defend attempted murder. Let's use a little logic here. Like it or not, trespassing or not, shooting this kid was entirely unnecessary. Murder is murder, whether or not you think it may be justified. Don't play the "threat" bs either. He's not a threat, he's there for fun :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    See, I've always pondered what I would do in this situation....and came up with a preventative "pep talk" that I'd have with the boy.

Have a disassembled AK on the kitchen table, and ask him "How quickly can you re-assemble that?" Regardless of his answer, simply state..."If you never want to see how quickly I can, keep your hands above the waist, pal."

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I could understand it if the kid fell up some stairs but shooting over this is crazy .

Yea, I'd throw the little SOB down the stairs and say OPPS! He musta tripped down the stairs while putting his pants on and being chased by me! :):

Shot placement is paramount, regardless of caliber.

Great point and thanks for pointing that out. Always aim for the head or heart! Never Mr. Winky....

I think the step dad was jealous......

:lmfao: You sick puppy! :):

The stepdad may be in a deep hole. If I read correctly he has a criminal record. I am starting to think the gun was not legally posessed.

DO NOT MAKE THIS ASSUMPTION! I take serious offense to that because I too have a criminal past and I legally own and carry a firearm. That's an attempt to paint a good portion of gun owners with a VERY broad brush and very incorrectly so.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Damn the consequences, I would have shot the punk dead. You come into my house, to lay my daughter (step or otherwise) after I told to you stay out??? bye, see ya in hell.:twocents:
    And you'd feel the same way if it was your son - visiting his girlfriend? (Not trying to be a smartass- just pointing out that there are two perspectives to consider.)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    He left the girl's bedroom and Harp quickly threw on his clothes fearing something bad might happen.

Clearly, the boy didn't have his priorities straight. In such a situation, pants can wait until AFTER you've run away!!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Stepdad had no business in this game! He should go to jail.
    He used his gun for offense, as opposed to defense. Quite simply, there was no threat to anyone involved. He has made all gun owners look bad.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is a good scenario for the INGO "Can you shoot him" series.

Specifically, WHEN is someone trespassing? Does the owner of the house have to invite you in? What about other residents, but non-owners?

Last edited:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    The stepdad was out of line with the shooting.....BUT I have a 15 year old girl...my only child....and if I came home from work and walked into this situation this fella would find himself waking up in a large pool of his own blood. No gun necessary.
    It's so black and white to some folks in this forum....you are younger and do not have kids. Wait till your little girl is a beautiful young woman and the horny boys start coming around. It will change your perspective.

Top Bottom