Step by Step Guide: How to Steal, Lie, and Get Off the Hook.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    level.eleven:

As a police officer and veteran of the American Armed Forces I am also appauled by the actions revealed in this news report. I would however, ask that you refrain from placing everyone who wears a badge as a criminal or bad individual.

You might as well ask Rambone to vote for Romney or ask Serpicostraight to get a life, lol.

Rep for trying though ;)

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Did neck boy actually say when asked if he confiscated the money without evidence that the driver didn't have any evidence to prove it wasn't being used for drugs?

Yes. As you will notice later in the interview, the victim had to produce records, what our father's knew as check stubs, that proved he had a job and came upon his treasure via taxable employment.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Additionally, that officer is doing what he has been directed to do. I am not saying that it is right, I am just saying that he is enforcing or seizing that which the Tennessee state law allows or mandates him to do.

So, you are saying Tennessee law allows an officer to seize items without a fair probability that it is used in a crime?

I'd like to see that statute.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would however, ask that you refrain from placing everyone who wears a badge as a criminal or bad individual.

I agree with you in principle. Where the problem set in for me is that in my personal experiences, between five and ten percent of police deserve a raise somewhere between 100% and 300%, between ten and fifteen percent are acceptable, and at least 75% AT MINIMUM should never be permitted within 100 yards of a badge or a gun. I will keep my actual feelings to myself on this one.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    level.eleven:

As a police officer and veteran of the American Armed Forces I am also appauled by the actions revealed in this news report. I would however, ask that you refrain from placing everyone who wears a badge as a criminal or bad individual.

As for forfeitures, Indiana also allows for these to occur; however, Indiana is much more strict on how and when it can occur. Indiana also dictates how that money can be spent. As an example: Indiana police officers are required to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the money being possessed was actually used for the purchase or was gained by the sale of controlled substances. The police department only gets to keep that amount of money that it gained from the investigation (i.e.: if they confiscated $10,000.00 and it cost the police agency $2,000.00 for the investigation then the only get $2,000.00), the rest of the money then goes to the school district when the police agency is located.

The only other way, in Indiana, for law enforcement to get a forfeiture is through the Federal Judicial system, and that is equally as difficult.

I, as well, could not believe that they could use something from that long ago to establish anything more than suspicion - but that is Tennessee. Additionally, that officer is doing what he has been directed to do. I am not saying that it is right, I am just saying that he is enforcing or seizing that which the Tennessee state law allows or mandates him to do.

I guess an analogy would be that every factory worker that built either a Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Toyota, etc is a crook because of his wages or because (insert person here) bought one and had problems with it.

Maybe I am asking too much, but just a little civility towards catagorizing all based on the actions of one.
    I was just following orders. This officer knew what he was doing. He is one that believes everyone is guilty. I had a reserve officer the other day tell me that if I was speeding and I had a gun he would have reason to believe I would use it on him as I had already broken one law why not another. Good police would not do this even if ordered to do. That officer (term used loosely) knew damn well the money was not going for anything wrong and figured the guy would not fight.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    level.eleven:

As for forfeitures, Indiana also allows for these to occur; however, Indiana is much more strict on how and when it can occur. Indiana also dictates how that money can be spent. As an example: Indiana police officers are required to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the money being possessed was actually used for the purchase or was gained by the sale of controlled substances. The police department only gets to keep that amount of money that it gained from the investigation (i.e.: if they confiscated $10,000.00 and it cost the police agency $2,000.00 for the investigation then the only get $2,000.00), the rest of the money then goes to the school district when the police agency is located.

The only other way, in Indiana, for law enforcement to get a forfeiture is through the Federal Judicial system, and that is equally as difficult.

I, as well, could not believe that they could use something from that long ago to establish anything more than suspicion - but that is Tennessee. Additionally, that officer is doing what he has been directed to do. I am not saying that it is right, I am just saying that he is enforcing or seizing that which the Tennessee state law allows or mandates him to do.

I guess an analogy would be that every factory worker that built either a Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Toyota, etc is a crook because of his wages or because (insert person here) bought one and had problems with it.

Maybe I am asking too much, but just a little civility towards catagorizing all based on the actions of one.

Guys, the reason you are catching this grief is because all the rest of us out here are tired of seeing the boys in blue living by a different set of rules than the rest of us live by. Do you always drive the speed limit or are you one of the guys whizzing by me on 70 doing 20 over the limit? Have you ever got a buddy out of a ticket? Have you ever used your badge to infuence a situation when you are not on duty? Its not just the really big things like the OP, but the litte things primarily that irks most of us. The big things are what push us over the top on here. From the citizens perspective we see LEOs as having a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude and you cannot expect for the citizenry to respect LE when that kind of attitude appears to be the norm as opposed to the exception. LEO should be held to a higher standard, but that never seems to happen. With more power should come more resposibility.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    In the Star Trek video and this video the officers rely on past arrests, but no convictions, as a reason to escalate. This guy says 20 years. The officer says 1-15 is fair game. I remember the Star Trek incident being just as dated. What is the point of a system like this? You were arrested at a party 20 years ago so now your $20K is suspect?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In the Star Trek video and this video the officers rely on past arrests, but no convictions, as a reason to escalate. This guy says 20 years. The officer says 1-15 is fair game. I remember the Star Trek incident being just as dated. What is the point of a system like this? You were arrested at a party 20 years ago so now your $20K is suspect?

I would say that it is all a matter of perspective. Is is the purpose and measure of a prosecutor to correctly discern those who are guilty of a crime which establishes them as a danger to society and vigorously prosecute them or merely to put warm bodies behind bars every chance he gets? Is it the function of the police officer to similarly discern threats to society and arrest them or is it his function to squeeze alternative revenue out of forfeiture, fines, 'fees', and 'costs'?

My perspective is that if there is not an individual identifiable victim, a crime has not occurred, and the fact that I pissed my pants when I was 3 years old has nothing to do with the circumstances of any incident in the present.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I will say that the time will come in this country,when officers of the law,indeed public officials in many positions,will have to decide whether to do what is RIGHT,or what their job may ask of them.It is amazing to me that police officers would intimidate and presume to confiscate personal property in this manner.I certainly hope that 75% of our LEOs are not in the mindset that this young fool seemed to be in.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    He "could" use that money to purchase drugs...or a car, or, or, or....

I would have liked to see that guy go, cash the check (hope it was a cashiers check) put the money back in the same bag and then drive home after driving by the Police station holding it up to the window.

This is a larger scale version of a traffic stop where the cop offers to write a ticket that will go away in six months if you pay the fine. That is another form of legal extortion that is all to prevalent in our communities.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    nothing illegal in here sir/ma'am. No, I do not consent to a search. Am I being detained? Am I free to go?

I hope I have the fortitude to say ONLY the above if I'm ever in one of these situations. Sometimes muscle memory takes over and one wants to be "helpful" due to officer safety and all. Stay strong and remember your rights! They will exploit your nervousness/fear of ticket, or whatever. don't forget your recorder on your phone.

I was surprised how much "am i being detained" was chiming in my head during my encounter with LEO recently.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I agree with you in principle. Where the problem set in for me is that in my personal experiences, between five and ten percent of police deserve a raise somewhere between 100% and 300%, between ten and fifteen percent are acceptable, and at least 75% AT MINIMUM should never be permitted within 100 yards of a badge or a gun. I will keep my actual feelings to myself on this one.

or expect cops to to be honest and do the job the right way and not end up on the news.
    Generalization, painting with a broad brush, being uninformed, or just plain lying, are things that indicate a lack of knowledge of the subject matter.
    There are approximately 800,000 Law Enforcement Personnel in this country.
    If you can find 80,000 individual Officers (Just 10%) that have been convicted of, or even arrested for, committing a crime this year I'll believe your ridiculous claims.
    Otherwise,
    I call bull :poop:.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    That story is unreal. The cop couldn't even make himself sound legit in the interview and he looked like he came straight from prison himself. This is really starting to become a very scary world we live in.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckstopshere
    Did neck boy actually say when asked if he confiscated the money without evidence that the driver didn't have any evidence to prove it wasn't being used for drugs?

Yes. As you will notice later in the interview, the victim had to produce records, what our father's knew as check stubs, that proved he had a job and came upon his treasure via taxable employment.

Things are a little backwards.
    When I read my copy of the Bill of Rights, it looks like the government has to PROVE the money was from ill gotten gain.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    What fools we have been to tolerate the oversight of the IRS, the centralized banking system,and to allow them knowledge of our assets.What a shame that Y2K did not totally disrupt our computer systems.WHOSE BUSINESS IS IT IF YOU OR I HAVE THOUSANDS IN CASH OR OTHER ASSETS HIDDEN?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What fools we have been to tolerate the oversight of the IRS, the centralized banking system,and to allow them knowledge of our assets.What a shame that Y2K did not totally disrupt our computer systems.WHOSE BUSINESS IS IT IF YOU OR I HAVE THOUSANDS IN CASH OR OTHER ASSETS HIDDEN?

Hey, they printed it, they own it. Just ask them.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    There are approximately 800,000 Law Enforcement Personnel in this country.
    If you can find 80,000 individual Officers (Just 10%) that have been convicted of, or even arrested for, committing a crime this year I'll believe your ridiculous claims.
    Otherwise,
    I call bull :poop:.
    The most flagrant abuses are often deemed to be "justified uses of force" or "within standard operating procedures." Over and over again we see this. Maybe some paid administrative leave, and then they are back on patrol.

I agree with you about not generalizing.

But you must admit that plenty of bad apples get excused and never face charges or convictions.

There are systemic problems at hand here and it does nobody any good to put on the rose-colored glasses and pretend like the system is flushing out the trash in any reliable fashion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom