STARTING to consider long gun. S&W M&P 15 a good choice for an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I have had my M&P for several years with no problems. I see no reason that it wouldn't serve your stated purpose extremely well.

Good luck and ENJOY!

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    piston is the most over rated system to add to an ar 15...a youtube video or some ingo help will help you replace a gas tube or clean the port after a couple thousand rounds..someone accurately said that a piston system is a $300 fix to a $15 problem to paraphase..also there is little to no difference between certain lowers and others and the difference exists only in some people's minds so i say buy a 12 punch and build it yourself...you will be happy you did and you will see how an ar works and how to repair and build it yourself....i have built a bunch of lowers and if u have a vice then you can even piece together the upper....for cheap!!!...i once saw two guys at atterbury who were so proud of the rock rivers but they had no idea how to oil/access the bolt carrier group...i cracked open their 1200 dollar rilfes and pointed out the buffer retaining spring and pin was missing...so even the 'pros" get it wrong so build it yourself and become a "pro"...

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    OP, to answer your question, YES an M&P15 Sport is an EXCELLENT rifle for $600! Besides, it probably wont be your last so you can go a different route later if you choose. Don't be scared of the DI gas system. It's not a big deal if you clean the rifle once in awhile.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    m and p is good to go...the differences between sone of these ar 15 rifles exist only in he iwners mind..i have a palmetto with 1000 rds through it that has bever been cleaned lol...shot wolf federal hornady...no issues..shoots one two inch group at 100 yards..i would hesitate to buy that smith...

Top Bottom