STARTING to consider long gun. S&W M&P 15 a good choice for an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    yeah and lord knows the ones provided suck. I quit, get a crappy rifle and go with the pack. it's so much easier then making your own trail.

What a group. :rolleyes: All I did was state an opinion.

I never said the Ruger was a bad rifle. In fact I think I said I OWN one. I love the damn rifle and it is in my never to be sold pile. However I do not think it is the best place to start especially since he said HE WAS ON A BUDGET and a rifle with an MSRP between $1300 and $1900 is not exactly budget friendly. A good DI gun can be found now (post madness) for less than 1k. No reason he shouldn't get his feet wet with the basics.

You didn't jump straight into the deep end when you were learning to swim did you?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    There are some really good deals right now if you know where to look. I just got a Windham SRC 2 weeks ago new for $769 including the the FFL transfer.

That is a very good deal on a very nice rifle. I have been very happy with my WW SRC. For a basic AR I don't think there is much better out there.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Warthog, we are not against you. Yes you were just giving him options, but if you read his post, he states he is thinking about an entry level AR, and wants to know about the Smith Sport model.
    To the OP, I just recently sold one of the Sports on Armslist, I did have it completely up-graded with magpul furniture.
    For what you want to do with it, it is a solid rifle. The only reason I sold mine, is I have other AR's, and I have been buying handguns lately, I just needed to recoup some of the money I have been spending. I've always been a rifleman at heart, but my collection is light on handguns, so I've bought a couple over the past month.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    You will not be unhappy with the m&p. I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought mine. I was in the market, my step brother brought his when he came into town and it was an m&p. I liked it and bought one just like it. Never had an issue other than a couple fail to feed on a 10 degree day after about 2k rounds without cleaning just to see what it would do.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    How much money do you want to spend is the question? What level of quality do you want? You can build a nice good quality gun for a decent price. "its so easy a caveman can do it". You get what you pay for, for the most part.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow. Didn't really mean to start a battle here, folks. I appreciate the input, but we've all got our opinions - lets not kill any sacred cows?

My apologies, I did not mean to get carried away. And I did not mean to offend Warthog and I extend my apology to him as well.

From what I have seen and read S&W M&P is a solid starting point to get into the AR game. I think you will be very happy with it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    here is the difference I speak of: This is a basic AR below
    image.php

This is a Piston gun:
    image.php

make your choice yourself.

It's all good. :)

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    My local gun shop has a new Ruger 5.56 for $960.... not $1200. But the sport model is a great gun for the money. Same shop "had" a M&P Sport for $610 and more are on the way. I would definitly do the M&P over the DPMS sport model

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I'll admit what got me thinking was the latest sale from ZX where they were selling M&P 15 Sports for $599. At that price range I'd bite (maybe). Just too used to handgun prices?

That being said, aren't AK's less expensive for what you get, and, while not as polished, are a little less finicky about running with less than perfect maintanance? I keep my handguns clean but these rifles and tubes and pistons and everything...

Maybe I'll just get a Mossberg 590 and be done.

My local gun shop has a new Ruger 5.56 for $960.... not $1200. But the sport model is a great gun for the money. Same shop "had" a M&P Sport for $610 and more are on the way. I would definitly do the M&P over the DPMS sport model

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've GOT to learn how to put these GIFs in things!

Seriously, though, now I see your line of reasoning.

Which admittedly moves me more in the direction of something even simpler, like a scattergun.

Which system does an AK use?

here is the difference I speak of: This is a basic AR below
    image.php

This is a Piston gun:
    image.php

make your choice yourself.

It's all good. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'll admit what got me thinking was the latest sale from ZX where they were selling M&P 15 Sports for $599. At that price range I'd bite (maybe). Just too used to handgun prices?

That being said, aren't AK's less expensive for what you get, and, while not as polished, are a little less finicky about running with less than perfect maintanance? I keep my handguns clean but these rifles and tubes and pistons and everything...

Maybe I'll just get a Mossberg 590 and be done.

Don't get cold feet on the AR because some people say that they are high maintenance. Yes they are higher maintenance than an AK but with regular field stripping and cleaning they are very reliable guns.

AKs are no different. The only difference is cheap AKs tend to be a bit more of a gamble than higher dollar ones. Century arms is the largest importer of AKs here in the States and their reputation for quality isn't exactly stellar.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Which admittedly moves me more in the direction of something even simpler, like a scattergun.

AK is a long stroke gas piston system. In other words the piston is attached to the bolt carrier and the whole thing moves as a unit.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

a DI gun is extremely simple as well, ak are great too but, dont let all this gas stuff scare you from a rifle, most semi autos that are popular right now run on gas, unless you want a hk 91 you will most likely deal with a gas system. cleaning AR15s are very easy, rather its a piston or a DI gun ether gun will work well. Ive would go with smith personally. start simple and then decide if you need or want that piston system.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I personally prefer the AK over the AR, but that is just my own personal opinion. If you where thinking about an AK I would look at Norinco or a Yugo both a great starter AK's for the money

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a couple of friends that have the M&P 15 Sport. They are a good rifle. Do you really need a pistol driven AR to have a good reliable rifle, absolutely not. I'll trust my DI AR any day. The biggest thing with a DI AR is keeping it properly lubed. I don't mean soaking wet either. The bolt carrier group is designed so that you can easily lube it. Even a piston can seize up if there is enough carbon build up. Do not let anyone tell you that you need to spend $1,200 plus to have a good reliable rifle. Some people are just fan boys, and think that a is better than b. We all have our opinions, but the DI AR is a proven reliable rifle. Why do you think they are so popular? If they were so finicky, and hard to maintain. Well, they would not have the following that they do. The issue with the M16 when it was released in Vietnam. Was the ammo was ****, and the grunts were not shown how to properly maintain their rifles. The AR has come a long way over the years. If you are looking for a lower priced AR, you can't go wrong with the S&W.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Why does everyone refer to the problems with M-16s/ARs from the Vietnam era?? That was close to 50yrs ago and was due to fact that NO cleaning kits were provided with the rifle and the ammunition was using a very dirty powder. Are you really going to run 2,000rds without cleaning your rifle? Even after taking a 800rd carbine course, my AR wasn't cleaned(cleaned it afterwards). If you want a piston system, then go with the piston system but there is nothing wrong with DI. I'm tired of these debates always coming up about DI vs. Piston. It depends on what your needs are for this AR. If is just for a fun plinker, then the M&P Sport is the gun for you.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    An M&P sport would be a very nice choice for a first or entry level AR. Ive shot a couple of them an they are very nice shoot great an never missed a beat. Heck Id even take one now, LOL

Top Bottom