Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Cole,

The gun is the last line of defense, not the first. The gun is used if you have failed.

It is not fun to shoot a person.

You really should have talked to the guy. Now that's not an option as you will violate the protective order if you contact him.

You really need to

1. Talk to your lawyer. If you have a business, you should have a lawyer. Hell, if you have a carry license, you should have a lawyer on call. I'm relatively near you and would be happy to refer you to the guy I use.

2. Have a (legal) third party mediate a conversation between you two. I'm not sure "mediate" is the correct word. You need a proxy to talk to his proxy. In other words, have your attorney send his attorney a message. You MUST talk to him somehow. Past sins will be revisited until rectified.

3. Forget you have a gun unless you are forced to use it. If you need to shoot you'll know the time and place. Until/unless that happens, posturing will escalate the situation.

Remember, it takes two to move on. If you really didn't do anything, then that's fine. I reserve judgement and am of the opinion that it doesn't matter if you did or did not do anything, because

4. He has not moved on. You might have, but it's shortsighted to believe that because you have, you can force him to move on, also. Additionally, it doesn't matter a bit whether you did what he thinks you did. If he thinks you did, realize that for him, you did. It's real to him and there will be a reckoning.

You need to be scared, and should be. People who are not scared a little bit are placid and take no action. Fear is a strong emotion but it's also one of the strongest, or perhaps the strongest, motivator.

Talk to the guy. Talk through an attorney, but communicate. Remember, if he goes back to prison, you're the reason. Even if you didn't do anything to him before, you did do something now.

Josh

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, there was a chance of this ending without significant conflict before, but that's probably gone now. Not to mention there's probably enough dirt here to prove intent should any shots be fired.

I'd still like to know what the warrants are for, and if he's on parole, why his PO hasn't picked him up already.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That SnS is back?

No, that wouldn't get me in trouble. Speaking completely hypothetically, with no reference to any particular thread or poster, if someone chose to suggest that a thread must be trolling because NOBODY could be stupid enough to post this kind of stuff on the internet in a serious thread, that would violate INGO rules, as I understand them.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Cole,

The gun is the last line of defense, not the first. The gun is used if you have failed.

It is not fun to shoot a person.

You really should have talked to the guy. Now that's not an option as you will violate the protective order if you contact him.

You really need to

1. Talk to your lawyer. If you have a business, you should have a lawyer. Hell, if you have a carry license, you should have a lawyer on call. I'm relatively near you and would be happy to refer you to the guy I use.

2. Have a (legal) third party mediate a conversation between you two. I'm not sure "mediate" is the correct word. You need a proxy to talk to his proxy. In other words, have your attorney send his attorney a message. You MUST talk to him somehow. Past sins will be revisited until rectified.

3. Forget you have a gun unless you are forced to use it. If you need to shoot you'll know the time and place. Until/unless that happens, posturing will escalate the situation.

Remember, it takes two to move on. If you really didn't do anything, then that's fine. I reserve judgement and am of the opinion that it doesn't matter if you did or did not do anything, because

4. He has not moved on. You might have, but it's shortsighted to believe that because you have, you can force him to move on, also. Additionally, it doesn't matter a bit whether you did what he thinks you did. If he thinks you did, realize that for him, you did. It's real to him and there will be a reckoning.

You need to be scared, and should be. People who are not scared a little bit are placid and take no action. Fear is a strong emotion but it's also one of the strongest, or perhaps the strongest, motivator.

Talk to the guy. Talk through an attorney, but communicate. Remember, if he goes back to prison, you're the reason. Even if you didn't do anything to him before, you did do something now.

Josh

Very well said. I'd rep you if I had any to give. Some suggest this is a troll, would it hurt anyone to offer usable advice to what may or may not be a real situation? This is very good advice, and OP should take it. I don't know if he will know what put him in jail or not. If he has warrants out on him, then going around threatening people is not the way to keep a low profile. Once in jail, if you or your representative talks to him and lets him know you did not steal his things, and will not be paying extortion for something you did not do. As mentioned in this post you can't think that he thinks rationally or will react rationally. You should not have to live in fear and at least making sure he knows that you are stating that you had nothing to do with theft of his things and if someone said you did, they are lying to cover something for their self or someone else. If you don't clear it up somehow with him, you will not sleep well, you will live wondering what will happen when he gets out, and if anyone else will do you or yours harm on his behalf. Fixing the problem is the solution. If he will not accept it or threatens you make it very clear that you are trying to resolve it peacefully, but will not tolerate violence against you, or those around you. Remember all conversations at a jail are recorded and would be used against you or him in a future case, so don't make any obvious threats. If he threatens you, saying you will do whatever you need to do to protect your family is one thing, threatening to put one between his eyes on site is another. You are being recorded so choose your words carefully. Like Joshua said, talk to a lawyer before doing anything, and maybe take him up on his offer to use his.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Honestly, I did learn something from this thread... BS or not.
    I had no idea getting restraining orders were that fast & easy.

Depends on the judge and the situation... and probably the day of the week and time of day. Friday afternoon? I'm out of here, taken under advisement and set for hearing. See ya.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Honestly, I did learn something from this thread... BS or not. I had no idea getting restraining orders were that fast & easy.
    Yeah, fairly sure it isn't. If it were, people would be taking them out all the time for no reason. I'm sure that at the very least, you don't just walk in, file the paperwork, stand before a judge to make your argument, and walk out with the order during your lunch hour.Judges take restraining/protective orders incredibly seriously, and there are serious repercussions for a parolee violating one. As I write this it occurs to me that may have been tongue in cheek. If I missed that, you should probably take a protective order out against me.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Doesn't sound as stupid as being shot for some money. If you're willing to take a bullet for a few hundred bucks then God be with you. At any rate, it should be considered. OP got himself in a bad situation by knowingly working for a shady boss for multiple years, now he's paying for it.
    Like I said.....IF.... I don't OWE ya any......you'd be hard-press'd take'n it from me.....:whistle:

I have been walking through this life for a really long time. There is so much more to this.
    Inclined ta agree, but........from git'n ta know ya on'is board......don't think you'd be 1 ta intimidate, or bully on yer own property, neither.....would'ja?....:):
    ('long with few others in here......an' not discount'n the women-folk, neither......:): )

I think Harleyrider_50 should talk to him. He'll be so confused after that he won't even remember Cole46845 or even what he was mad at him about.

Exactly this! He might not even remember who HE is after HD splains things to him.

Dude can stand 'cross the road......an' do all'a spew'n/spout'n he wants.......but when he enters MY property, an' tells me..."You gonna do this....an' ya better do 'at"......much less threat'n my azz......he's GONNA have pro'lem......don' care how gawda*n big he is.....:whistle:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah, fairly sure it isn't. If it were, people would be taking them out all the time for no reason. I'm sure that at the very least, you don't just walk in, file the paperwork, stand before a judge to make your argument, and walk out with the order during your lunch hour.Judges take restraining/protective orders incredibly seriously, and there are serious repercussions for a parolee violating one. As I write this it occurs to me that may have been tongue in cheek. If I missed that, you should probably take a protective order out against me.
    Nope, I was being serious. Never had need to investigate them and figured they were (like all legal paperwork) a long involved hassle.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    ****UPDATE**** Well after weeks of feeling like a prisoner and dodging my neighbor it has come to a head. I own a landscape company and had some of my employees working at my home today. The neighbor came over and puffed up on my employee asking them where I was at, he was on my property, threatening my employees that I need to contact him. Tomorrow I am going to get a restraining order bc I feel like this guy is a threat to me and my family or friends even! I will keep this thread updated

Sooner or later you are going to have to man up and talk to him.

Do you want to teach your kids that the best way to deal with a bully is to run and hide? Are you going to spend your whole life feeling like a prisoner and hiding from your neighbor?

Worst case scenario -- you try to talk to him and he beats you to a pulp. He'll go back to jail and you don't have to be scared any more.

Top Bottom