• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    :noway:......Dude don' HAVE ta do a eF'n thing.......'cept stay in his own space.....an' mind his own bizz.......perty simple, really.....an' it'd be the other dudes bes' interest......ta do the same......:whistle:

Yeah, he also doesn't HAVE to hide behind the trash cans and crap his pants every time he thinks about confronting the guy...but he still does.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    it certainly can happen very quickly "over your lunch hour"

You go in, fill out paperwork,... It can be granted immediately

So what's to stop anyone from filing falsely and forever creating a flag in your NICS background check that gets a proper person denied? (We all know how easy and quick that legal paperwork crap is to undo...)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    So what's to stop anyone from filing falsely and forever creating a flag in your NICS background check that gets a proper person denied? (We all know how easy and quick that legal paperwork crap is to undo...)

My source does not know how that happens or what would be found in the NICS check. She is very clear that at least in THIS county, removing someone's firearms is EXTREMELY rare (twice that she knows of), but has no knowledge of the NICS process.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My source does not know how that happens or what would be found in the NICS check.

but has no knowledge of the NICS process.
    4473 form question "H" asks, "Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?" (Granted it doesn't say "neighbor across the street", but I'm sure any RO in the system would pop up with your name/birthday/SSN regardless who it is keeping you from harassing...)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    4473 form question "H" asks, "Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?" (Granted it doesn't say "neighbor across the street", but I'm sure any RO in the system would pop up with your name/birthday/SSN regardless who it is keeping you from harassing...)

I'll have to double-check, but I *think* there's something on the protective order "paperwork" that designates that it was "domestic". I think you're correct, though, with the possible exception of something like that preventing the NICS check from pinging on a non-domestic, if that makes sense.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    It probably also depends on how quickly/efficiently local PD actually reports these things to the central database keepers, and how quickly the federal gubmint updates their system.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Once again, the correct term is "Guano-psychotic".

33867819.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash

I believe you can just challenge this in court, JG, but the wording (as you note) is specific and could be a defense.

If my wife got really mad at me, I'm sure she could go file a protective/restraining order to keep me from buying guns.

On the other hand, she'd have to give a reason. A false reason is perjury. Keep in mind that I don't know the exact process and am not a lawyer.

Josh

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

You have 30 days to ask for a hearing if one isn't required by the judge before they sign the order, IIRC the court has to set a hearing within 30 days of your request for a hearing

truthfully nothing can stop someone from filing falsely but they can get in trouble for filing after the fact if they lie on the request for a protective order

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This protective order stuff is crazy to me. It seems like something so open for abuse. Generally speaking (special circumstances aside), someone must be officially served with the order before they can violate it, right?

Definitely learning a lot from today's exchange, fake perp notwithstanding.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Just to clear a couple things up. One he has a VERY common name so it was hard to narrow down if the warrant was his or not and it is NOT his and 2 I appreciate all the opinions but the restraining order is the best I feel like in my situation. Ive been on this site awhile and appreciate all the opinions and know whole hearted that my weapon would be a LAST resort, I would turn and run if possible and not be afraid to say so! Also the protective order was speedy and professional, it took about a hour and half. He also has 30 days to contest it, so if he does we will be in front of a judge together. If he doesnt contest then its a two year order.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Just to clear a couple things up. One he has a VERY common name so it was hard to narrow down if the warrant was his or not and it is NOT his and 2 I appreciate all the opinions but the restraining order is the best I feel like in my situation. Ive been on this site awhile and appreciate all the opinions and know whole hearted that my weapon would be a LAST resort, I would turn and run if possible and not be afraid to say so! Also the protective order was speedy and professional, it took about a hour and half. He also has 30 days to contest it, so if he does we will be in front of a judge together. If he doesnt contest then its a two year order.
    Good luck, hope it works out for you . Since he's a career criminal let's just hope he doesn't find other ways to "contest" it.

Top Bottom