• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Nope, I was being serious. Never had need to investigate them and figured they were (like all legal paperwork) a long involved hassle.
    I would think your assumption that they're a PIA is probably accurate.

Ain't wez gotz duh lawyaz in duh hows to ansur?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    IANAL, but I'm very closely affiliated with (aka married to...) someone who is intimately familiar with ROs in my county. I can ONLY speak directly to that county, don't know that they're all the same, but in THESE parts, it certainly can happen very quickly "over your lunch hour", to borrow your words. You go in, fill out paperwork, hand it to the court secretary. The court secretary takes it to the judge. You might not even talk to the judge in person, at least for now. It can be granted immediately, if the circumstances seem to warrant it, or it can be "taken under advisement" and set for a hearing where both sides will have the opportunity to tell their side of the story. Or I imagine it can be put in the round file, though I've never heard that mentioned. I can ask for more details over lunch, and pose this exact situation, just to get a reaction.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    That makes sense. I could see in a domestic violence situation that a judge would issue it right away, given the volatile nature of DV situations and the likelihood of the abuser going nuclear. I'll be curious to see what feedback you get, given the particulars here.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    That makes sense. I could see in a domestic violence situation that a judge would issue it right away, given the volatile nature of DV situations and the likelihood of the abuser going nuclear. I'll be curious to see what feedback you get, given the particulars here.

I'm interested, as well, particularly if the guy has warrants. I've never heard her talk about that situation, so I'll ask.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Sooner or later you are going to have to man up and talk to him.

Do you want to teach your kids that the best way to deal with a bully is to run and hide? Are you going to spend your whole life feeling like a prisoner and hiding from your neighbor?

Worst case scenario -- you try to talk to him and he beats you to a pulp. He'll go back to jail and you don't have to be scared any more.

:noway:......Dude don' HAVE ta do a eF'n thing.......'cept stay in his own space.....an' mind his own bizz.......perty simple, really.....an' it'd be the other dudes bes' interest......ta do the same......:whistle:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    2507855-5801003767-kerr6.gif

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If his whereabouts were unknown, he probably got busted for not checking in with his parole officer. If he exists, that is....

OK... if you have outstanding warrants, why are you out and just "checking in"?
    Isn't a warrant some sort of document to bring you in? 'Splain this like I'm four.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    OK... if you have outstanding warrants, why are you out and just "checking in"?
    Isn't a warrant some sort of document to bring you in? 'Splain this like I'm four.

Parole is basically supervised release, so while on parole you usually (always?) have an officer with whom you are required to check in, and who regularly checks in on you. If you fail to check in(among tons of other things a parollee can do to violate parole), they can 'violate' you, triggering a warrant to be issued for your arrest.

So this guy gets released on parole, fails to contact his parole officer/check in, warrant gets issued, OP finds said warrant on the interwebz. Does that make a bit more sense?
    If he exists....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Parole is basically supervised release

So this guy gets released on parole, fails to contact his parole officer/check in, warrant gets issued, OP finds said warrant on the interwebz. Does that make a bit more sense?
    If he exists....
    I understand "parole", but I guess I thought "warrant" = hauled in. So when OP said he found warrants out for him, I figured now that they know where he is, he wouldn't be there long. Huh.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I understand "parole", but I guess I thought "warrant" = hauled in. So when OP said he found warrants out for him, I figured now that they know where he is, he wouldn't be there long. Huh.

Oh I get ya. Yeah, now that he's resurfaced, you'd think he would get picked up rather quickly. Ya know, if he exists.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I might have missed this... do we know he's on parole? The answer I got on warrants: Depends on what the warrants are for, mostly, but in general, when the Sheriff's office does the paperwork (or electronic paperwork) to serve the protective order, they "should" see any outstanding warrants. Depending on the nature of the warrants, they might serve the protective order and make an arrest for an outstanding warrant all in one trip. My source is not familiar with how that part would work on the law enforcement side, unfortunately.

I also asked about the chance of a protective order being just flat denied (vs. granted or set for a hearing), and was told that is rare. One example given was some bat**** crazy guy who came in and filed for a protective order against Obama. That one was not set for a hearing.

Top Bottom