• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I'm going out hunting this weekend. Where is the best place to hit them? I'm seeing a lot of head and shoulder shots. I'll be using either a remington 121, or a winchester 75.

99% of your meat is in the shoulders and legs. A body shot will make it messy to dress them, so head is definately the best. Some people like to eat the brains though, so some won't. When us kids were kids if we ever happened to get a bad shot and miss the head my grandmother loved getting them :)

Be careful if they are stopped to eat it's easy to aim to far back and hit one of the front shoulders if they are quartered too far one way or the other.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    Been doing a quite a bit of squirrel hunting over the last month and a half. My son has come up from Indy several times to join me. Here are a few misc. pics of some of the hunts.

My son with one, early one morning. We've only shot about 4 grays between us, most of my woods contain fox squirrels.

The last supper.....so to speak.:):

Mad Dog

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sorry for the crappy pic but here's my new to me piney slayer.
    Ordered a Williams peep and taller front. Will slide a blank in where the original Lyman folding rear is missing.
    002.JPG

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    No pics but finally got out for the first time yesterday afternoon down in Brown County. After the morning rain, it turned out to be a nice afternoon in the woods. With the wind and the damp leaves you really had to keep your eyes looking because you certainly couldn't hear them. I saw quite a few moving about but was only able to shoot at 3 and I got those, so a rather enjoyable day. The neatest thing though was after I shot the second one, I left it where it fell so as not to disturb the woods as I was in a good spot. After about ten minutes, I caught some motion out of the corner of my eye. A big bird gliding through the trees. At first I thought it was a Pileated Woodpecker. It kept getting lower and was heading the direction I had just shot the squirrel at. I soon realized it was an owl and it landed just a couple feet from where the squirrel dropped. I don't know if it saw it drop from the tree of if it just saw it lying on the ground later, but it must not have seen me (all camo'd). It did finally see me when I started yelling and waving my arms! It took off without my squirrel thankfully. Something similar happened to my brother with a hawk many years ago and now I have my own story to tell.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    This may sound ignorant, but have any of you eaten black squirrels? A lot of people (take that with a grain of salt) say that they are tougher and have no flavor compared to the gray and fox.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With the change of weather and the first frost of the year happening this week it is time for me to stArt my season for tree rats.

i found my call. I found ammo that the pistol likes. I have my shooting stick. I am planning to have Friday off work. I know where they are going to be so that is always a plus. I also use this time to scout for deer. They should be off the summer pattern of feeding soon. Just got to find a carry bag and get my permission slip.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Forgot to get a picture, but I got my first squirrel, a grey, last monday. Learned to dress it as well. Hopefully going back out tomorrow to get some more. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Which tastes better? Grey or Fox squirrel?

Years ago, I watched old guys wanton waist greys on opening day to "make room" in their limits for fox. :xmad:
    Myself, I think all the difference is in preparation based on age rather than color. The fox are noticeably bigger, so there is certainly more yield.

Top Bottom