• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    The guns and ammo are ready to go. One .22LR and one 20 gauge shotgun, just to cover the bases. My youngest son and I will get up in the morning, take the 45 minute drive to the woods (with a stop for coffee and donuts of course) and be waiting in the hickory grove awaiting the cutting to commence! They're cutting hard down here on the hickories, and it should be a great opening morning!

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I killed four this morning and my father in law killed two. My shooting was terrible. Three headshots and one shoulder that needed finished off. Even one of my headshots needed a second shot once it was on the ground, little feller was still breathing.

They were cutting on hickory, it sounded like rain. I shot three out of the same tree over the course of an hour. Then it got hot and we were done by about 9:30.

A good morning, just not good shooting.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    too many bugs

The woods this time of year I find inhospitable with the chiggers and mosquitos. No thanks to early squirrel season for me. I will wait and let the rest enjoy themselves, if indeed they are enjoying it.

Good luck to you who are going.

Terry

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    Got three and partner got two, and we enjoyed it was outta the woods for the skeeters woke up or the bug dope wore off, one or the other going back tommorow. There will be squirrel gravy in the morning on the biscuits.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    Took the kid out with me yesterday. Windy as heck.. funny how the 9yo realizes "park squirrel's" are easier to hunt. Nothing better than being in the woods with the kids.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Went to the honey hole this AM. 5 in about an hour. Saw a ton more.... Im off Thursday..

Rilfe is a 17HMR
    PDOG09116.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We were out Saturday morning. Saw one big ole boy I was too slow to get a bead on. There were three running around about 15 yards to Cathy's right that none of us could shoot at. Cathy and I were carrying .22s, and shooting at them would have had us shooting out toward a lake with a bunch of boaters on it. Sean was carrying his 20 guage, but was set up to our left and couldn't get a safe shot past us. So, we enjoyed the show. There will be others :D Went back out in the evening, got way to hot and didn't see anything, critters were clearly smarter than we were.

We slept in Sunday with plans to head out in the evening, and changed our minds. Too yucky hot to have fun, and the critters wouldn't have been out anyway.

KRBushee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Wells County
    Went out this morning, shot a big fox squirrel in a hickory tree as soon as I stepped in the woods.
    Then I heard a lot of rumbling out in the corn field next to the woods, wish I had a camera with me. Four Does were just standing along the edge and pulling stocks of corn over and eating their fill. Watched them for about 45 minutes. They were so busy they didn't even know I was there.
    By the time they were done I had to head for the house, so a few squirrel get to live another day.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    First of the year

Went out to a friends farm this afternoon w/my son (who just got his license last Saturday). Walked 5 minutes into the woods & sonny heard nut clippings falling. Our rule is whoever sees the squirrel first has dibs... we'll my old eyes saw a little bushy tail hangin over a limb about 40 yards up & away on a shagbark. Waited for bushy to turn around & took the shot, went right through the bottom of her chin & up through the top of her head.

She fell like a stone & sonny was pretty impressed with pop's shooting. We waited around 10 minutes to hear some more clippings & then left before the rain set in again.

squirrel1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom