• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    A couple years ago, I noticed a black speck pretty deep in the palm of my hand. I dug and dug but couldn't get it out. Every once and awhile, I'd notice again but never gave it much thought. Today, I noticed that it didn't look as deep. I've got the skin opened up to it but can't get it out.

Seems to me, I've heard some home remedies that help pull a splinter out but I can't remember what they are. Any suggestions? I know it's metal by the way it feels.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've always dug them out with a sharp, pointy knife and it's never failed...

I've also heard that soaking it in hot water will make it easier to get, but if you've had it for that long, I don't know how well that will work.

Now that it's surfacing again, make sure to not put a lot of pressure right around where it is, otherwise you'll bury it again.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    Put bacon on it. That's what my grandmother always swore by. I myself would never do it or would I recommend it. It was a inside family joke for years. If it works, I don't know, but I would never waste bacon.

Good luck getting it out, things like that bug the heck out of me.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    If it has been a couple of years, I would say that it is no longer a splinter, but just a dark spot in your skin. Your body has a weird way of absorbing material, and with something such as wood it wouldn't take long to break it down and absorb completely.

-edit-
    Reading comprehension.. Didn't realize OP stated it was metal. Ouch... yeah, no help from me on that one. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Get help. Obviously you're going at it one handed. Let someone else work on it. I've always had success by giving it light pressure (like popping a zit) and working at it with a needle. If I were helping you I'd have some tweezers or use two needles like chopsticks and lift that sucker out of there.
    Seriously, get someone to help you. It's hard cause it might hurt a little.... ok a lot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't really have a secret method, but if it's metal, I wouldn't think it would be absorbed, plus you said you could still feel it.

A few years ago, my son got a deep wood splinter in his leg. I used a bag of ice to sort of numb it before digging it out. I can't vouch for how well it was numbed, but he let me dig it out without a whimper

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    A couple years ago, I noticed a black speck pretty deep in the palm of my hand. I dug and dug but couldn't get it out. Every once and awhile, I'd notice again but never gave it much thought. Today, I noticed that it didn't look as deep. I've got the skin opened up to it but can't get it out.

Seems to me, I've heard some home remedies that help pull a splinter out but I can't remember what they are. Any suggestions? I know it's metal by the way it feels.

I think you may want a "drawing salve".

http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Ichthammol_Salve

Also called black drawing salve, ichthammol salve contains derivatives of sulfur-rich shale, mixed into a paraffin or beeswax base, to create a skin preparation. Used for decades on humans and animals alike, it's widely considered a safe topical treatment for minor wounds.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    SNC00042.jpg

Had this in my side a couple of years back. Doc tried to grab it with some long skinny twezers. Could never get a grip on it. After about 2 1/2 weeks it finally came to the serface, where I could get some twizers and pull it out. It's what I call, "the thorn in my side". I keep it in my wallet as a souvenir.
    Have you tried draw salve?

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was a wood worker for many years. When I got a splinter I would grab some 120 grit sandpaper and sand the area lightly. If you can see the direction it's sitting move the paper to bring it out, not push it in. The grit will grab the splinter and pull it out. This only works with small splinters. Anything big will have to be removed with a side cutter and channel locks. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was a wood worker for many years. When I got a splinter I would grab some 120 grit sandpaper and sand the area lightly. If you can see the direction it's sitting move the paper to bring it out, not push it in. The grit will grab the splinter and pull it out. This only works with small splinters. Anything big will have to be removed with a side cutter and channel locks. :D

Channel locks? Do those splinters squeak like a rusty nail when you pull them out? Ouch!

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Old cure that works every time!

Wash the area and dry it well. Wrap a piece of white first aid "Bandage tape" over the area and leave it on for at least 24 hours. Remove the tape and check the tape closely for the splinter. If it still in the skin, put on a new piece of tape for another day and then remove it. If you can't find first aid tape, masking tape will work too. Do not use Duct tape! :twocents:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Leave it. I've got a sliver of metal in my leg (about 1/8 inch diameter and 3/8 inches long) from a hammer that exploded on me. Doctor said my body would absorb it over time.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I had a staple (can't really remember the size but I believe it was 1/4" t50) in my finger for about 2 weeks. It went in and hit the bone. I dug at it for a bit and nothing. Finally I got tired of the pain so I sliced it a bit and squeezed hard. It came out looking like a corkscrew. That was an interesting sight.

As far as splinter removal, if the skin is open I've always had the best luck with a needle or tweezers. If that doesn't work, I just dig at it with a sharp pocket knife.

Top Bottom