• ...and so much more!
  • aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Electromagnet. :yesway:

I was thinking one of those rare earth magnets. Keep working with the needle method until you get it pretty exposed and see if you can pull it out. My technique with needles is to get UNDER the splinter, like, really deep to make sure, then lever it out. Hurts, but as Dalton says, "pain don't hurt", and it usually works.

Also, hydrogen peroxide. The bubble action can lift it a bit, too.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Old Paramedic trick...Put elmers glue on it and wait for it to dry clear and peel the layer off. If it is out of the surface the glue will pick it up and out without pain. Works well on kids that are scared due to dazzling them by putting glue on it!

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    One very pointy pocket knife my friend.. My current Kershaw, and previous Kershaws all had a good enough tip that digging out any form of splinter was quick, and damn near painless.

Only exception is the numerous splinters I got down my leg from a fence post.. That took some digging, and a intense amount of pain.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Had this in my side a couple of years back. ..."the thorn in my side".

That thing looks like it qualifies as spear status...

Leave it. I've got a sliver of metal in my leg from a hammer that exploded on me.

Was that a Glock hammer by chance?

Metal splinters are some of the worst to try to remove. They do not give when pressure from tweezers are applied so it seems that you need more of the splinter exposed to get a good bite. Wire is somewhat challenging due to the lack of sloped sides for sure gripping. I would suggest the assistance of an unfeeling second party to go in with a utility safety blade and open up an area large enough to get a good hold on the splinter(If the unfeeling second party is particularly enthusiastic, the ensuing gusher may very well "wash" the splinter out.).

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    SNC00042.jpg

Had this in my side a couple of years back. Doc tried to grab it with some long skinny twezers. Could never get a grip on it. After about 2 1/2 weeks it finally came to the serface, where I could get some twizers and pull it out. It's what I call, "the thorn in my side". I keep it in my wallet as a souvenir.
    Have you tried draw salve?

Okay.....I'll bite since no one else has....how did you get a dime in your side? :dunno:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    If it festers up, it will come out, no real point in digging if you don't have to. The human body is an awesome machine. I still have shrapnel popping out of me, and it does not affect anything else.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    sharp pocket knife or xacto. get under it with the knife tip or tweezers and pry/pull until it releases. only metal splinter i got was in my eye (cleaning up a cut edge with an angle grinder and didn't have safety glasses). it worked out in a few days, but left a rust ring that had to be removed by a dr. with a small drill and abrasive brush. on the other hand, if it doesn't bother you, it probably won't ever do any damage. i've had a bb in my chest for the bast 25 years or so that still shows up on an x-ray.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    We use to have a bristle brush matt for the back porch, and one day last summer, I stepped out with my bare feet to call the dogs, and I must have gotten one of the slivers from the brush in my foot. It was very painful, and impossible to see, so I went to a dermatologist, and he cut a small core out of my foot, cauterized it, and it eventually filled in and healed up.

I still like the old fashioned way of being able to see the sliver, and my wife digging it out with a needle and peroxide.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sewing needle to slice the skin and dig the sliver out is the typical method.
    Xacto knife or new utility razor also works for larger items.
    Start digging.

Okay.....I'll bite since no one else has....how did you get a dime in your side? :dunno:

fdd.png

The dime is for scale.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I took a metal sliver out of Mr.Jet's hand before with a magnetized needle. Once I was able to make contact and sort of split the skin all around it, it stuck right to the needle and I extracted it with little effort.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This splinter is about an 1/8" deep and I'm just barely to the top of it. It looks like its going straight in so I can't get under it and lift it. I've got a pretty high pain tolerance and can tolerate a lot of digging for a wood splinter. I dug this one til I got to it and as soon as I touched the splinter with a needle, it was like a razor blade. Metal spinters make me feel like a little girl.

I'm going out on a ride in a little bit. I'll look for some of that draw salve while out. I'm also thinking that if I can keep the skin open to it for awhile, that it'll get some infection in there to help push it out.

Top Bottom