• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In my day I have followed a few of the stop sign violators and gone full on churchmouse on them....cowards to the man.

I can't be too hard on them. I would imagine that encountering you in the ass beating frame of mind would bring out the cowardice in most people!

I once received a ticket in a school zone. . 67 in a 35. The issue I had with the ticket was it was the middle of July on a Saturday night about 200am. I believe the ticket was around $350.00 or $375.00. Did I deserve the ticket, yes I did. Did I deserve the extra cost of being in a school zone, I dont think so.

This is a fine example of government gone stupid. A law is enacted to address a particular problem issue which may or may not be needed or helpful, but 'it's for the children'. I would argue that aggravating circumstances could cover this nicely, and would be extremely difficult to apply to you at 02:00 on a weekend. The problem is that when handed a tool to deal with a specific problem, the government tends to promptly turn it into a club to use on anyone any time they can twist the circumstances into excusing its use.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I once received a ticket in a school zone. . 67 in a 35. The issue I had with the ticket was it was the middle of July on a Saturday night about 200am. I believe the ticket was around $350.00 or $375.00. Did I deserve the ticket, yes I did. Did I deserve the extra cost of being in a school zone, I dont think so.

When I was a young man driving in Maryland it was a instant revocation of your drivers license for going 25 over the speed limit. The LEO took your license and if no one was with you that could legally drive your car it was impounded. Then you would get a letter in the mail to appear at the main MV branch ( if it was 150+ miles that was too bad ) for a short meeting to determine if and when you got your license back.
    It's a shame its still not that way. 67 in a 35 is absurd. The ticket should have been 5 fold that.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When I was a young man driving in Maryland it was a instant revocation of your drivers license for going 25 over the speed limit. The LEO took your license and if no one was with you that could legally drive your car it was impounded. Then you would get a letter in the mail to appear at the main MV branch ( if it was 150+ miles that was too bad ) for a short meeting to determine if and when you got your license back.
    It's a shame its still not that way. 67 in a 35 is absurd. The ticket should have been 5 fold that.

Maybe. 67 in a 55 that drops to 35 in the school zone isn't nearly so 'absurd' and is entirely possible. After all, who would imagine enforcing school zone standards at 02:00 on a weekend?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    About a year ago I slowed down for a school zone and the guy behind me passed me on the right. There is no lane on the right, but he couldn't pass on the left because there was oncoming traffic. Sadly, no policeman around to see it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I don't believe it was ever that way in Indiana. Indiana generally does not allow cops to make determinations on who gets to keep their license. If the ticket really was at 2:00 am, then the speed limit wasn't the 35 mph school zone limit. Indiana's statute does not allow for a perpetual school zone, it can only be in effect when children are present. Look at IC 9-21-5-6(d).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't believe it was ever that way in Indiana. Indiana generally does not allow cops to make determinations on who gets to keep their license. If the ticket really was at 2:00 am, then the speed limit wasn't the 35 mph school zone limit. Indiana's statute does not allow for a perpetual school zone, it can only be in effect when children are present. Look at IC 9-21-5-6(d).[/QUOT

My understanding is , he was driving almost twice the speed limit ( of 35 mph )
    And since he was also driving through a school zone that in itself added to the cost of the ticket.
    And again blowing the speed limit by almost twice is absurd. Driving is a privilege not a right.
    So I should expect 140 mph on parts of I 69 ? Thank god for the move right laws.
    I've seen enough of speeding in my life / career and the end results.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Who takes your license in Indiana when you are pulled over and are under the influence of drugs or alcohol ? Jonny Law takes it I do believe.
    It was the same in MD for excessive speeding ( 25 ) over posted speed limit.
    Like drugs and or alcohol the judge /MVA decides if and when you get it back.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    My understanding is , he was driving almost twice the speed limit ( of 35 mph )
    And since he was also driving through a school zone that in itself added to the cost of the ticket.
    And again blowing the speed limit by almost twice is absurd. Driving is a privilege not a right.
    So I should expect 140 mph on parts of I 69 ? Thank god for the move right laws.
    I've seen enough of speeding in my life / career and the end results.

Your "understanding" is not consistent with Indiana's statutes on school zones. You need to read 9-21-5-6 and 9-21-5-13. You then need to read 34-28-5-4 and note the difference in fine caps for Class C and Class B infractions.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Who takes your license in Indiana when you are pulled over and are under the influence of drugs or alcohol ? Jonny Law takes it I do believe.
    It was the same in MD for excessive speeding ( 25 ) over posted speed limit.
    Like drugs and or alcohol the judge /MVA decides if and when you get it back.

Wrong. A cop may take your physical license on an OWI arrest but he is required by law to give you a receipt which functions as a valid license until a judge determines PC to suspend your driving privileges.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Wrong. A cop may take your physical license on an OWI arrest but he is required by law to give you a receipt which functions as a valid license until a judge determines PC to suspend your driving privileges.

Ok.. I'm good with that, now what happens if you decline the test ?
    Will the Officer not keep your license and give you a administrative suspension on the side of the road ?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Ok.. I'm good with that, now what happens if you decline the test ?
    Will the Officer not keep your license and give you a administrative suspension on the side of the road ?

No, a refusal suspension functions the same way as a certified test failure. There still has to be a judicial finding that there was PC to offer the test before the suspension is imposed. Look at 1(b) of the refusal statute below.
    9-30-6-7 said:
    Sec. 7. (a) If a person refuses to submit to a chemical test, the
    arresting officer shall inform the person that refusal will result in the suspension of the person’s driving privileges.
    (b) If a person refuses to submit to a chemical test after having been advised that the refusal will result in the suspension of driving privileges or submits to a chemical test that results in prima facie evidence of intoxication, the arresting officer shall do the following: (1) Obtain the person’s driver’s license or permit if the person is
    in possession of the document and issue a receipt valid until the initial hearing of the matter held under IC 35-33-7-1.
    (2) Submit a probable cause affidavit to the prosecuting attorney of the county in which the alleged offense occurred.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18. Amended by P.L.85-2013, SEC.93.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Run down 38th St. In the morning, at the school zone just east of High School, to just west of Moller. IPD doesn't even slow down through there! Every few weeks, IPS Po-Po run radar through there and tag a BUNCH, haven't seen any IPD cars pulled over though?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Indiana's statute does not allow for a perpetual school zone said:
    it can only be in effect when children are present.[/COLOR] Look at IC 9-21-5-6(d).

Tell that to The Powers That Be in Vincennes. I think the signs read: "School Zone Speed Limit 20 mph"

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Driving through Franklin (Johnson County), the Middle school is immediately off of US31, with a 40mph zone. The high school sits hundreds of yards off a county road, with a school zone posted.

Meanwhile, in the lovely village of New Whiteland, all the town streets are maxed at 30mph, even the congested house farm developments, where the per-acre kid census is higher than a school, and far more likely to be dashing across the street.

Just like most speed zones, there's not much science applied to how fast vehicles are allowed to travel.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm in my company car traveling for the most part of just about every day. School zones are not much of an inconvenience to me and the time it takes to slow down to the posted speed removes very little time out my day.

Exactly, how hard is it to slow down and lose 6 seconds out of your precious day, Jesus its a area that could have a high concentration of kids.
    Sign, Sign everywhere a sign. ...... Read the sign, slow the F down.

Wait..... what...... you agreed with one of my post :faint:

Unless you didn't comprehend that I was saying that I do slow down to the posted speed limit and while doing so it takes very little time out of my day.

Either way I got a laugh out of it so good job Squirrel :yesway:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i used to drive my daughters to school(harrison) after dropping them off, i had to drive down green river road, so between harrison, the catholic school, and caze, i passed 3 schools, and every day, i slowed down to 20...and got passed by everybody and their mother, and a few times i saw a person get pulled over, and i laughed every time!,all i could think of was your going to court!, your fine is double! and the judge is going to chew your ass so bad you wont be able to sit down for a week!

here(eville) most schools have flashing school zone signs, and if you look theres a light on the back of the sign too(small) so when you drive past that small ight on the other side of the street, the school zone has ended, and the speed limit go's back to what ever is posted.

NOW here's the kicker, the lights at fairlawn school were messed up last year! the light headed east was flashing and the one headed west was off!, i talked to a police officer about it(not some jbt in a patrol car, but our crime prevention officer at out neighbor hood watch) and he said that they knew about it, but they couldnt figure out how to fix it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Wait..... what...... you agreed with one of my post :faint:

Unless you didn't comprehend that I was saying that I do slow down to the posted speed limit and while doing so it takes very little time out of my day.

Either way I got a laugh out of it so good job Squirrel :yesway:

Well Jupiter aligned with Mars. So one day I'll explain to you the difference between Adhesives and Glue.. But if you're nice I'll tell you where to go and eat when your in OC,MD. Where are you staying ?

Top Bottom