• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What bugs me are the ones that say "on school days". Right. So I gotta carry around a schedule for each and every school district I travel through? What about those without kids or homeschoolers that dont have students in the system to know when this arbitrary (to outsiders at least) period begins and ends? Signs that require external knowledge to be enforceable just arent fair IMHO. Put up flashers to tell us when they are active please.

And balanced calendars are even worse... its one thing to be able to assume "labor day to memorial day, M-F" but totally another to try to figure out when each session begins/ends.

/rant

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's what we in the business call "a clue."

What if you cant see the parking lot until after you are WELL within the zone? For instance... Decatur Central Blue/Gold Academy. Officer likes to hide across the street in a farmer's driveway. Northbound, that advice works. Southbound however you will get nailed before you can see the parking lot due to trees and other obstructions. (about the time you can see the parking lot you have already been clocked for about 50', and are at least 100' past the school zone sign) Im sure there are other examples.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Most just say "when children present" around here.

Exactly, a very poorly-defined concept. Does 'present' mean that school is in session? Does it mean at times when you can actually see the little snots beating feet on or about the street? Does it mean at times nowhere near a time school is in session that a crumb cruncher or two happens to be walking near the school? Does it mean WTF-ever the police, prosecutor, or judge want it to mean at any given time?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Exactly, a very poorly-defined concept. Does 'present' mean that school is in session? Does it mean at times when you can actually see the little snots beating feet on or about the street? Does it mean at times nowhere near a time school is in session that a crumb cruncher or two happens to be walking near the school? Does it mean WTF-ever the police, prosecutor, or judge want it to mean at any given time?
    If memory serves, there is an appellate case that says "children present" means children outside and visible. I'll have to see if I can find it or if my memory has failed me again...

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm in my company car traveling for the most part of just about every day. School zones are not much of an inconvenience to me and the time it takes to slow down to the posted speed removes very little time out my day.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What if you cant see the parking lot until after you are WELL within the zone? For instance... Decatur Central Blue/Gold Academy. Officer likes to hide across the street in a farmer's driveway. Northbound, that advice works. Southbound however you will get nailed before you can see the parking lot due to trees and other obstructions. (about the time you can see the parking lot you have already been clocked for about 50', and are at least 100' past the school zone sign) Im sure there are other examples.

Slow until you verify?

I don't know the IPS schedule, but I just slow down until I see the lot is empty when it's about school time.

Flashing lights on the signs work for me, but if they aren't there and the goal is to avoid a ticket...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interestingly enough, our traffic prosecutor has been throwing local school zone tickets out since their opinion is they are not legal. There is a sign that STARTS the zone but there is nothing that marks the END. Without an END, there is no "zone".

Seems like there is usually a pedestrian crossing sign right about where the normal speed limit takes effect again. Maybe not always though. Just been my observation.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Seems like there is usually a pedestrian crossing sign right about where the normal speed limit takes effect again. Maybe not always though. Just been my observation.

I've noticed most have a speed limit sign at the end, usually 10-20' past the sign for traffic going the other way to slow down. There are a couple that actually have at least one "End school zone" sign. One is an IPS school on Raymond just west of Emerson, and I think Manuel High school has them too.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Slow until you verify?

I don't know the IPS schedule, but I just slow down until I see the lot is empty when it's about school time.

Flashing lights on the signs work for me, but if they aren't there and the goal is to avoid a ticket...

This.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I've noticed most have a speed limit sign at the end, usually 10-20' past the sign for traffic going the other way to slow down. There are a couple that actually have at least one "End school zone" sign. One is an IPS school on Raymond just west of Emerson, and I think Manuel High school has them too.

I haven't seen many "end school zone" signs but have seen many end with a speed limit sign stating it is back to the normal speed limit. I went on a mission trip one year and one of the drivers got a school zone speeding ticket from a radar gun. They weren't pulled over or anything, the owner of the van got it in the mail. Be glad those are not here in Indiana (this happened in New Orleans).

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm in my company car traveling for the most part of just about every day. School zones are not much of an inconvenience to me and the time it takes to slow down to the posted speed removes very little time out my day.

Exactly, how hard is it to slow down and lose 6 seconds out of your precious day, Jesus its a area that could have a high concentration of kids.
    Sign, Sign everywhere a sign. ...... Read the sign, slow the F down.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    School busses and zones......just slow down.

I know police/fire/medics see it, but man when people see a bus and get near it, they go full stupid. Someone was trying to pass me while I had my stop arm out the other day and a kid crossing in front of me. Thankfully they atleast stopped, child's mom came out yelling at them.

School zones are the same, can't count how many people I see pass a car going the 25mph.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know police/fire/medics see it, but man when people see a bus and get near it, they go full stupid. Someone was trying to pass me while I had my stop arm out the other day and a kid crossing in front of me. Thankfully they atleast stopped, child's mom came out yelling at them.

School zones are the same, can't count how many people I see pass a car going the 25mph.

In my day I have followed a few of the stop sign violators and gone full on churchmouse on them....cowards to the man.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    In my day I have followed a few of the stop sign violators and gone full on churchmouse on them....cowards to the man.
    I have to admit, I LOVE seeing them get nailed by the IMPD officer at 30th and Post.

Between the school, the church with the daycare, the apartment kids that are always running to the street I am shocked someone hasn't been hit already.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I once received a ticket in a school zone. . 67 in a 35. The issue I had with the ticket was it was the middle of July on a Saturday night about 200am. I believe the ticket was around $350.00 or $375.00. Did I deserve the ticket, yes I did. Did I deserve the extra cost of being in a school zone, I dont think so.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom