• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Not going to whine, I'm guilty as charged. Didn't know school was back in session and apparently was doing 40 in a 20 school zone. The violation is not online yet and there is no fine on the ticket. Any idea what the fine might be? I think a deferral program is in my future.

ETA: Well poop, looks like $169 (not bad), no deferral allowed and required court appearance.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They're cracking down up here too. I hate the way school zones are regulated. I have no children, and since there is no uniform start and end date, even within the same county, I don't know how we are supposed to know which schools are in session and which are not. They should have flashing yellow lights on the signs when they're in effect. I also don't see why they're in effect ALL day. A couple hours in the morning for arrivals and a couple hours in the afternoons for departures should be it. In between those times, the kids should be in the building and not out in the street.

P.S. Stay offa my lawn!! :oldwise:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not going to whine, I'm guilty as charged. Didn't know school was back in session and apparently was doing 40 in a 20 school zone. The violation is not online yet and there is no fine on the ticket. Any idea what the fine might be? I think a deferral program is in my future.

ETA: Well poop, looks like $169 (not bad), no deferral allowed and required court appearance.

What time of day and what exactly does the school zone speed limit sign say as to when it is in effect?

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    They're cracking down up here too. I hate the way school zones are regulated. I have no children, and since there is no uniform start and end date, even within the same county, I don't know how we are supposed to know which schools are in session and which are not. They should have flashing yellow lights on the signs when they're in effect. I also don't see why they're in effect ALL day. A couple hours in the morning for arrivals and a couple hours in the afternoons for departures should be it. In between those times, the kids should be in the building and not out in the street.

P.S. Stay offa my lawn!! :oldwise:

most schools have mentally impaired children that escape frequently, Most don't reasoning capabilities, they will run in front of your car, teachers call them runners

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    most schools have mentally impaired children that escape frequently, Most don't reasoning capabilities, they will run in front of your car

Well I've seen a few with the split enforcement times, so it can be done. Again, there's just no consistency (why can some split their times, while others can't?). If they truly need to have the "all day" times, that's fine, but again, flashing lights on the sign would leave no doubt as to when they're in force. Honestly I don't know why there aren't consistent start and end times statewide, at least for public schools. If the state can regulate their testing, they should be able to regulate start and end dates, breaks, etc..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Heh...When I was about 16-17, I had this Tennessee State Trooper tell me in his best, mirrored sun-glass, Boss Hogg, impression, one time that speeding in a school zone was prima-facia evidence of reckless driving. At the time, I didn't know what that meant, but bless his heart, he went on to educate me. The bad thing was, by the time he pulled me over, I was past the opposite school zone flashing light.............and it was off. *Sounding like Maxwell Smart*---missed it by that much.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I don't know about now, but in Vincennes the school zone 20mph limit was in effect 24/7, weekends included. Before I moved out of there, it seemed people were driving 20mph all over town.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That's much cheaper than Marion Co. A regular speeding ticket was $150 and school zone was $350, IIRC. Been awhile since I had a ticket book.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear about your financial pain, OP. I sympathize!!

Seems to me that the vast majority of school zones are put in place simply as revenue generation zones and have nothing to do with safety for any children whatsoever. Rarely do I ever even see children outside of the fenced in playground areas of elementary schools, and many schools are several hundred feet--even hundreds of yards--away from the road.

I can fully understand low speed limits in neighborhoods, where kids often play in yards obviously close to the road and dart after balls/play in the streets/whatever. I have never understood why school zones exist on roads where you can't even see the school because it's so far back from the road.

And just to finish my little rant and open up a can of worms at the same time, I'll finish with this: I've never yet seen a lower speed limit close to a school magically save any lives. Distracted drivers do things just as stupidly at 20 as they do at 40 (or whatever the normal limit is). If they're distracted to the point of stupidity, then they're just as likely to not notice kids regardless of speed...and 5mph or 50mph, a kid run over doesn't stand a great chance of not being messed up.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've watched many people get pulled over around 30th and Post for not slowing down, always wondered how bad it stung. I've watched many in a hurry to get around my bus wish they had waited.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    That's much cheaper than Marion Co. A regular speeding ticket was $150 and school zone was $350, IIRC. Been awhile since I had a ticket book.
    Interestingly enough, our traffic prosecutor has been throwing local school zone tickets out since their opinion is they are not legal. There is a sign that STARTS the zone but there is nothing that marks the END. Without an END, there is no "zone".

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Interestingly enough, our traffic prosecutor has been throwing local school zone tickets out since their opinion is they are not legal. There is a sign that STARTS the zone but there is nothing that marks the END. Without an END, there is no "zone".

In our CDL training for the bus, we were told it is where the School zone speed limit sign is for the oncoming traffic but as you said, it's not marked "end".

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Was the school zone demarcated?

Demarcated, Reparkable, I have no idea what party it votes for. To be clear, this school zone has signs at both ends, I am well aware of its existence. In fact my mother taught there for 10 years or so. The street I was travelling on runs along the side of the school. So no activity was visible, etc. Of course when I turned off the road to pull over on a quieter street, I could see the front of the school and a line of buses getting ready to load.

I simply didn'tknow school had started and was travelling apace with traffic. I won the ticket lottery, I guess. Maybe I should have tried for sympathy as I had just left the hospital after an echocardiogram.

Top Bottom