• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    When I was in basic at Ft. Jackson S.C. the D.I. 's would come in to town to check on the trainees that had a week end pass. I remember opening the door at the motel we were staying at and there was my smiling D.I. standing there. Sure surprised the heck out of me cause we had about 15 people crashed in the room!!!! The surprising thing is how our individual D.I.s seemed to know where "their" particular trainees were!!!! Heck, he just told me to tell everyone to stay out of trouble and left!!! Boy those D.I.s had superhuman powers that you couldn't excape!!!! LOL

:n00b:

And that's why it's called Relaxin' Jackson. :D

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Are they going to be armed:dunno:
    No, They will not be armed. They could be with commanders authorization under AR 190-14, but then once they cross of post they would need a Georga Permit. From what I have been told from my buddy who is actually at Benning right now is that they will not be armed. That was one of his first questions. Feeling that a armed military personal would give the wrong impressions just like a misinformed newspaper article.
    I'm sure they are just chomping at the bit to hit the streets and harass civilians. They're soldiers after all, not even human and barely Americans, right?
    I really hope your being sarcastic..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What the military is doing is providing Chaperones for the 18-26 year old Soldiers...

If soldiers need chaperoned, then why aren't their leadership doing their jobs and chapterimg them out? What came first, the chicken or the egg? What came first, soldiers being treated like children or acting the part expected of them?

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    If soldiers need chaperoned, then why aren't their leadership doing their jobs and chapterimg them out? What came first, the chicken or the egg? What came first, soldiers being treated like children or acting the part expected of them?

Ok, well lets hold formation at 1700 every Friday and march every soldier, dress right dress, down to the club..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ok, well lets hold formation at 1700 every Friday and march every soldier, dress right dress, down to the club..

Are you going to tell me the military doesn't glorify drunken idiocy as a culture? I was an active duty infantryman for 3 years.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would love to be able to Boot out every DB in the Military...
    The cuts are coming again...
    Are you going to tell me the military doesn't glorify drunken idiocy as a culture? I was an active duty infantryman for 3 years.
    Just like College...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've served with soldiers who weren't fit to wear the uniform or a badge. I've worked with officers who weren't fit to wear a military uniform or a badge. Wearing a military uniform or a badge says little about a person other than they met the minimum prerequisites.

You knew what I meant by my Comments...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I would love to be able to Boot out every DB in the Military...
    The cuts are coming again...

Just like College...

Why don't we treat our soldiers like we do people in the real world? If your private life proves to be detrimental to your work life, you get thrown out on your rear?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I must not have because it sounded like an insult to me. :dunno:

It was not meant as an insult.

Soldiers are Soldiers.
    Cops are Cops.

I spent my Life as a Soldier, do you think I would make a good Cop?!
    As a Soldier I understand I am the last chance at Peace. As a Cop, You are the front lines of maintaining the Peace. When LEAs start thinking that they can do what a Soldier does, You are know longer maintaining the Peace. You are theatening the Masses into being Peaceful. It will work for awhile, until they have had enough look around at the Other Police/ Military States around the World....

I have had my fill personally of being in Police Actions...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Understood, I was mistaken with my initial interpretation.

That said, Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen make fine police officers in my opinion. Largely due to the discipline the military instills along with a good understanding of chain of command, respect and tact.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Why don't we treat our soldiers like we do people in the real world? If your private life proves to be detrimental to your work life, you get thrown out on your rear?

Why not...

Cause the Real World does not work like that either...

You and I both know more than our fair shares of DB that have either moved up or are still employed and their "private" lives are Detrimental...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Understood, I was mistaken with my initial interpretation.

That said, Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen make fine police officers in my opinion. Largely due to the discipline the military instills along with a good understanding of chain of command, respect and tact.

Some make the Transition well...

I think it largely depends on how much time was spent in Harm's Way. I do NOT have the Patience to be an Cop. I know this. ;)

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    As a x-military policeman, I patrolled the streets of Junction City Kansas on payday weekends for years. The MP's only have jurisdiction over military personnel. They have NO authority over civilians. There is this little law called the Posse Comitatus Act.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why not...

Cause the Real World does not work like that either...

You and I both know more than our fair shares of DB that have either moved up or are still employed and their "private" lives are Detrimental...

I'm guessing if young soldiers saw the soldier to the left or rights chaptered out on other than honorable circumstances for stupidity, they might act a little better out in public. What's the penalty now, a company or field grade article 15?

Young soldiers act the way they do because it's glorified and encouraged by the military culture. I never once got arrested or a DUI in my off time. I even had my INFANTRY first sergeant comment that I should date his 19 yo daughter as he knew what type of person I was. Yet I had to stand in those same friday evening formations and be lectured to like a child on how to handle myself out on the town.

Maybe if military leadership and culture actually demanded maturity, they just might get it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    1) The amount of paranoia by some of the posters is just amazing. If you really feel the way you post then I don't see how you can still function in society.
    2) It seems that there are a lot of perfect people on the boards who have NEVER done ANYTHING that might be considered im-moral, un-lawful or just plain stupid while in the military or not.
    3) Being "in harms way" has little to do with patience and transitioning well. It has to do with the way a person was before the military as well as during. You don't just loose being patient. There are MANY different ways to handle "being in harms way" that will help transition.
    4) Troops in the streets to protect people and their belongings would be welcomed if you were the ones that were unable to provide for that yourselves. I did forget that we do have so many well prepared people in Indiana that it would be unthinkable.
    Rant off:twocents:

Bob

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm guessing if young soldiers saw the soldier to the left or rights chaptered out on other than honorable circumstances for stupidity, they might act a little better out in public. What's the penalty now, a company or field grade article 15?

Young soldiers act the way they do because it's glorified and encouraged by the military culture. I never once got arrested or a DUI in my off time. I even had my INFANTRY first sergeant comment that I should date his 19 yo daughter as he knew what type of person I was. Yet I had to stand in those same friday evening formations and be lectured to like a child on how to handle myself out on the town.

Maybe if military leadership and culture actually demanded maturity, they just might get it.

Once again, why treat the Soldiers to a Standard that most Civilians are unable to meet?!

How many People do you know at the Factory that have Multiple DWI/DUI/OWI offenses, yet still maintain their Jobs?!

How many People do you know with Drug Convictions that are still employed there?!

How many Felons?!

How many Illegal Immigrants?!

I have no problem making Soldiers and Servicemembers tote a line, however that line should be drawn fairly and honestly...

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Back in the day, the MPs and Shore Patrol (SPs) routinely harassed...er..uh..violated the rights of...ummm....uhhh...helped police the carousing military personnel in military towns.

Hell...remember the old movies where the MPs raided clubs when huge brawls broke out, then it was a mad panic for the exits? Whores. Night sticks flying. Chairs being broken on heads. What could be more romantic? What could be more fun and American than all that?

Nothing. That's what.

Doing stupid crap and trying to avoid the MPs was a rite of passage.

That's the kinda thing I was looking to get into when I enlisted, and every red-blooded American male who has ever served better damn well admit it also.

:patriot:

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My dad retired from the Army in '85 after 25+ years. I can remember from way back that almost every military town that we lived in, including Columbus Ga had MPs working in unison with the local LEOS. They were paired off together, one of each for the various patrols they ran whether on foot or in a squad car. Nothing sinister about it then, of course we didn't have a Kenyan president that was running late for his Oprah interview either!:laugh:

Top Bottom