• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this...

I've always thought if you're old enough to fight for, defend, and die for your country, then you're old enough to drink...

After reading this article it makes me think, if a bunch of drunk and disorderly soldiers and sailors are being a nuisance to a town to the point that they need to be baby sat by a senior officer to tell them to get back to base before they needlessly and senselessly get into a fight... Maybe drinking underage isn't such a good thing... Especially when we're pouring it into guys who've been trained to fight and kill.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Back in the day, the MPs and Shore Patrol (SPs) routinely harassed...er..uh..violated the rights of...ummm....uhhh...helped police the carousing military personnel in military towns.

Hell...remember the old movies where the MPs raided clubs when huge brawls broke out, then it was a mad panic for the exits? Whores. Night sticks flying. Chairs being broken on heads. What could be romantic? What could be more fun and American than all that?

Nothing. That's what.

Doing stupid crap and trying to avoid the MPs was a right of passage.

That's the kinda thing I was looking to get into when I enlisted, and every red-blooded American male who has ever served better damn well admit it also.

:patriot:

Oh, this brings back memories of Jacksonville, NC!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Understood, I was mistaken with my initial interpretation.

That said, Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen make fine police officers in my opinion. Largely due to the discipline the military instills along with a good understanding of chain of command, respect and tact.

I think the number of combat MOS soldiers that would make good police are few. just my opinion

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this...

I've always thought if you're old enough to fight for, defend, and die for your country, then you're old enough to drink...

After reading this article it makes me think, if a bunch of drunk and disorderly soldiers and sailors are being a nuisance to a town to the point that they need to be baby sat by a senior officer to tell them to get back to base before they needlessly and senselessly get into a fight... Maybe drinking underage isn't such a good thing... Especially when we're pouring it into guys who've been trained to fight and kill.

I dont think anyone here is gonna flame you for that one :): bunch of drunks :laugh:

i agree with what you said about drinking. I dont think there should be any age for drinking.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    4) Troops in the streets to protect people and their belongings would be welcomed if you were the ones that were unable to provide for that yourselves. I did forget that we do have so many well prepared people in Indiana that it would be unthinkable.
    Rant off:twocents:

I will never welcome Martial Law.

My dad retired from the Army in '85 after 25+ years. I can remember from way back that almost every military town that we lived in, including Columbus Ga had MPs working in unison with the local LEOS. They were paired off together, one of each for the various patrols they ran whether on foot or in a squad car. Nothing sinister about it then

Alright, that concerns me. I am opposed to local police integrating with Federal troops. That's different from people saying Courtesy Patrols are going to wait inside bars and babysit drunks soldiers.

Doesn't befront me any. Well, that is as long as they don't get told by Obama to start collecting up the guns.

I don't want them to be used to do any police duties. Then when the proverbial gun confiscation orders come, it won't feel so natural for soldiers to be used on the public. Might help them think twice about what they are doing.

I think the number of combat MOS soldiers that would make good police are few. just my opinion

I'm going to have to agree.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I wonder if Courtesy Patrol would ever be tempted to confront an Open Carrier.

Cops have a hard enough time knowing the actual laws. I can only imagine.

Lets hope that these Courtesy Patrolmen get a little better explanation about their mission than the public has been given.

I might be totally wrong here, but you've never served in the military have you? Any military patrol has a VERY clear understanding of their mission before they begin their patrol. Did you read the whole article or just start freaking out when you got to the part where there were uniforms amongst civilians? Because the article seemed clear to me as to the purpose of the CP's.
    Unless, they are National Guard, and called out by the governor to do so, they won't have anything to do with civilians.
    Let's give our soldiers a little credit here. They joined the ranks to defend our great nation, not indescriminately pound the snot of it's citezens. Yeah, you're going to have a few that are full of **** and vinegar. That's what the CP's are for...
    If push came to shove, I truly believe our boys in uniform would do the right thing if they were ordered by a "higher authority" to do something heinous. Let's check a little of that paranoia at the door...
    :soapbox:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I might be totally wrong here, but you've never served in the military have you? Any military patrol has a VERY clear understanding of their mission before they begin their patrol. Did you read the whole article or just start freaking out when you got to the part where there were uniforms amongst civilians? Because the article seemed clear to me as to the purpose of the CP's.

No, I have not been in the military. Yes, it freaks me out having uniformed military patrolling amongst the public.

Let's check a little of that paranoia at the door...
    :soapbox:

We could use a little less complacency and a little more skepticism when it comes to this stuff.

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Back in the day... carousing military personnel in military towns.

... Whores. Night sticks flying. Chairs being broken on heads. What could be more romantic? What could be more fun and American than all that?
    :lmfao:

Nothing. That's what.
    :laugh: :rockwoot: :patriot:

Doing stupid crap and trying to avoid the MPs was a right of passage.

That's the kinda thing I was looking to get into when I enlisted, and every red-blooded American male who has ever served better damn well admit it also.

:patriot:
    Successfully avoided trouble with the MPs and no Article 15/never flagged. Not so much a goal, rather a form of recreation. Didn't look at it so much as a crime of moral turpitude (as some might call it), but - when on foreign soil - a form of diplomacy by conducting pubic ...erm, I mean public relations with the local female population. Not that I ever *****ed about it, but if I admit to any of the above, will I have to go on the Sergeant Major's detail again? :):

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think I may have to think twice before wearing my uniform in public now....

You shouldn't feel that way. I just would like to see cops to remain cops, and soldiers to remain soldiers.

I didn't think it was such a stretch to hold the opinion that babysitting drunks is not a soldier's duty. And frankly, following what Hornadylnl said, maybe they should stop slapping these guys on the wrist and we wouldn't be having this conversation. A guy I knew in High School escaped a DUI because he was in the Marine Corps. I guess a Courtesy Patrol guy intervened, and all was forgiven. I'm not much of a fan of double standards.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The E7-9's getting tasked with this will complain about having to give up their evenings to babysit but the reality is they're the one who are calling for these patrols. When I first got to Germany, we had no CQ in the barracks and nobody hated that fact more than the senior enlisted. They loved playing the role of daddy to all of the little children. Why? Because that's the way it was when they were young soldiers. Welcome to the Army. 200+ years of tradition unhampered by change. The leadership has the military they've perpetuated.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The E7-9's getting tasked with this will complain about having to give up their evenings to babysit but the reality is they're the one who are calling for these patrols. When I first got to Germany, we had no CQ in the barracks and nobody hated that fact more than the senior enlisted. They loved playing the role of daddy to all of the little children. Why? Because that's the way it was when they were young soldiers. Welcome to the Army. 200+ years of tradition unhampered by change. The leadership has the military they've perpetuated.

Not all units are that way...

All the Units I was stationed in were the opposite of your descriptions of your time in service. You just had the luck to be in Units with DB's... :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Not all units are that way...

All the Units I was stationed in were the opposite of your descriptions of your time in service. You just had the luck to be in Units with DB's... :dunno:

Maybe so. But in my civilian job, I'm expected to be and am treated like an adult. My boss doesn't come to my door and make sure I get up and to work on time. My boss doesn't come inspect my house. My boss doesn't tell me how much beer I'm allowed in my fridge. If I show up to work drunk, my boss fires me. In my world, going out on the town all night and racing back to throw your pt's on and make it to formation is not a manly thing to do.

The military needs to raise the bar of expectations and give real world consequences to those who don't meet them. I still say that the lifestyle that warrants these patrols is expected and glorified. My companies supervision don't put armbands on and patrol the local hotshots after hours. College professors don't put on armbands and patrol the campus bars. Why do we treat our soldiers like children?

Top Bottom