• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, indeed. My old stomping grounds. Also known as "Mexicondido" to some

What is the racial atmosphere in that city?

I note that all the cops are white and the driver is not. As a one time resident, do you think racial motivations played any part in the police behavior?

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I started looking at checkpoint videos on youtube and they devolved all the way down to (sigh) "hot cop booty" I've only seen hot cop booty one time in real life when I reported a theft down in Greenwood...thanks for the memories welding lead thief, thanks again.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    im still waiting for an answer if the courts or legislature make checkpoints mandatory. or do the police decide when and if there will be checkpoints? if they are not required by law and the cops do them on a whim then there goes thier excuse of i was just following orders.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    What is the racial atmosphere in that city?

I note that all the cops are white and the driver is not. As a one time resident, do you think racial motivations played any part in the police behavior?

I actually didn't live there, but just a bit west of there. I did work there though. I had little contact with the police there, so I don't have a bead on their culture. There is a high Mexican population in the city. (This makes me miss Lourdes' Chicken soup.....mouth watering--best Mexican chicken soup in the world! ahem.. 'scuse me... anyway...) I have seen a number of Latino officers on the EPD though. I think the Lt. that the guys in the video were asking for had a Latino name.There is also a significant amount of gang activity, so I am guessing things can get tense at times.

This was the scenic route to: "Gee, Kirk, I just don't know." :n00b:

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Driving under the influence is a victimless crime.

Running someone over while under the influence is not a victimless crime.

Can you really not see the distinction?

One crime has a victim and the other does not....

What am I missing here?

^^^ this...positive reps heading your way.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Drunk driving victimless? Not so certain I can agree.

Cannot a drunk driver be seen as a reckless act in of itself.

Say I climb to the top of a parking garage, take out a pistol and shoot into a rush hour crowd, no one and no property is damaged. Is this not like drunk driving?

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    just one bad apple and another one of the 10,000 or so isolated incidents. but im sure according to the cops he had it coming. he had the nerve to use his rights. that will not be tolerated anymore.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Drunk driving victimless? Not so certain I can agree.

Cannot a drunk driver be seen as a reckless act in of itself.

Say I climb to the top of a parking garage, take out a pistol and shoot into a rush hour crowd, no one and no property is damaged. Is this not like drunk driving?
    kirk the problem with drunk driving is they arrest you for what you might do not what you did do. using that logic anybody who touches a gun should be arrested for what they might do. or anybody who drives a car should be arrested for what they might do.

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    What is the outcome?

What happened to the guys from the video? Were the charges dropped?

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    These guys got exactly what they deserve. the checkpoints save many lives. Get one of your family memebers of loved ones hit and killed or even injured by a drunk driver and I bet your outlook will change. If these men where not under the influence all the would have had to do is show ID and they would have been on there way instead they had to be arrogant *********$ and ended up in cuffs. At no point did these cops step out of there boundries. They were assigned to work the check point and they were doing their jobs.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    If these men where not under the influence all the would have had to do is show ID and they would have been on there way instead they had to be arrogant *********$ and ended up in cuffs. At no point did these cops step out of there boundries. They were assigned to work the check point and they were doing their jobs.

The issue is not with the DUI check. The issue for these gentleman was that the checkpoint was not being conducted according to state law. California allows the police to request ID only if they are arresting the driver. There is no support for "Driver's license checks" in California law, so adding the Driver's license check to the DUI check is what folks are pissed about. If you watch the video again you will see that they purposely drove to the checkpoint with the camera ready. They were not a couple drunks, they were engaged in an act of civil disobedience to challenge what many see as illegal police action.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    These guys got exactly what they deserve. the checkpoints save many lives. Get one of your family memebers of loved ones hit and killed or even injured by a drunk driver and I bet your outlook will change. If these men where not under the influence all the would have had to do is show ID and they would have been on there way instead they had to be arrogant *********$ and ended up in cuffs. At no point did these cops step out of there boundries. They were assigned to work the check point and they were doing their jobs.
    your probably one of the people who speed,run red lights, cut people off and do everything else stupid behind the wheel. but as long as your sober its ok if you kill someone.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    YUP!!
    There's nothing more gut wrenching than having to tell a parent that their child will not be home tonight because a drunk crossed the centerline and hit them head on.
    Except being there when they have to identify the mangled body. :noway:

Been there and done that way to many times. One of if not the hardest part of this job. Nothing you say or do helps. I get birthday cards and xmass cards from two family's every year and a call out of the blue a few times. I gave them the worst news they will ever get and yet they treat you as almost family. Depressing and all over someone wanting to go out and have some fun.:xmad: DRUNK DRIVERS SUCK!!!!

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Been there and done that way to many times. One of if not the hardest part of this job. Nothing you say or do helps. I get birthday cards and xmass cards from two family's every year and a call out of the blue a few times. I gave them the worst news they will ever get and yet they treat you as almost family. Depressing and all over someone wanting to go out and have some fun.:xmad: DRUNK DRIVERS SUCK!!!!
    drunk drivers do suck and so do stupid drivers. drunks can get sober stupid cant be fixed. and yet they still let stupid behind the wheel.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

I agree with that! lost close friends because of em. id like to see em all fry if they cause death. the ones who dont should never drive again.

Top Bottom