• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Precisely what does an incident that occurred thousands of miles from here have to do with Indiana, or Indiana Police Officers, for that matter???

Indiana sets up sobriety checkpoints too. And I think our U.S. Constitution should be a part of this debate. We are still part of the same republic and should have the same rights.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    MLK jr

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    While I don't like the Sobriety Checkpoints, I hardly believe that DUI is a "victimless" crime.
    I have lost friends to drunk drivers.
    Their families consider themselves victims.

Sorry about your loss, but the individual is responsible, not the alcohol...no different than blaming the gun for a criminals behavior!:twocents:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just another method to generate funds...from one of the many victimless crimes.

Actually drunk driving, or any otherwise impaired driving is in no way a victimless crime. I can show you several grave stones of friends who were put their by drunk drivers. Don't tell me or their families that driving while not sober is victimless.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    While I don't like the Sobriety Checkpoints, I hardly believe that DUI is a "victimless" crime.

Terrorism is not a victimless crime either. Shall we search the insides of everyone's home for WMDs?

How many rights need to be destroyed to provide people with adequate safety? All of them?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    So DUI is a victimless crime? I'd like to be present when you tell that to anyone who has ever had a friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.

Walking around with a gun could be stated the very same way...what about those that have been shot by a gun? Is walking around with a gun is also a victimless crime? I think so!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Actually drunk driving, or any otherwise impaired driving is in no way a victimless crime. I can show you several grave stones of friends who were put their by drunk drivers. Don't tell me or their families that driving while not sober is victimless.

I could show you many gravestones of those shot by a gun too...

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Driving under the influence is a victimless crime.

Running someone over while under the influence is not a victimless crime.

Can you really not see the distinction?

One crime has a victim and the other does not....

What am I missing here?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

The individual that killed them is the criminal, not the alcohol.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

What am I missing here?

Exactly...the alcohol has nothing to do with it...the driver runs someone over, what does it matter the amount he had to drink? Killing is killing, regardless of consumption...

This is far too related to the stupid Hate Crime laws...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

What am I missing here?

Nope. He can't. Had friends hurt/killed by morons that chose to drink and drive. But I am in no way saying that sobriety check points are right either.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    So DUI is a victimless crime? I'd like to be present when you tell that to anyone who has ever had a friend or family member killed by a drunk driver.

YUP!!
    There's nothing more gut wrenching than having to tell a parent that their child will not be home tonight because a drunk crossed the centerline and hit them head on.
    Except being there when they have to identify the mangled body. :noway:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Nope. He can't. Had friends hurt/killed by morons that chose to drink and drive. But I am in no way saying that sobriety check points are right either.

YUP!!
    There's nothing more gut wrenching than having to tell a parent that their child will not be home tonight because a drunk crossed the centerline and hit them head on.
    Except being there when they have to identify the mangled body. :noway:

I'm glad you clarified for me.

Now I know that liberties should always be restricted based on what is "gut wrenching" for UncleMike.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Here's how you end this debate. Quit taking the lazy, unconstitutional way of catching drunks... by setting up checkpoints that treat everyone like they are guilty.

Instead, get out there and pull over people swerving.

Wow, what a concept.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    [devils advocate] What about the 100,000s of people who drive while legally intoxicated everyday that don't kill someone? Wouldn't that technically be a victimless crime?[/devils advocate]

disclaimer: this post is not to be construed as a condonement of driving while intoxicated. Nor should it preclude the perfectly valid contention that someone is driving home from a party right now after having had a few too many and won't kill someone. Not valid in Alaska, Hawaii or Nevada/. Some restrictions may apply. Consult an attorney if you have questions. In rare and unusual cases serious side effects have been reported including tears, pepper spray, sleepiness, headache and death.

Top Bottom