• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, just sort of thinking out loud that it's a little scary that someone can own such a deadly weapon without any training. Wasn't really taking a stand either way.

I got my driver's license without any formal training.
    Car's have a lot more kinetic energy than a bullet.
    They kill a lot of people.
    Yet training was not required.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    It's scary that classes are not required.

That may sound like a good idea but please consider the implications of that statement. You are saying that it would be BEST if someone else, most likely a governmental agency or bureaucrat had the authority to say you are sufficiently qualified to purchase/own/carry/use a firearm to defend yourself.

But what about the test of this in practice. Do places where the government has decided that NOBODY except their own agents are qualified to own/carry/use a firearm? How's that working in Chicago or Los Angeles or New York City or DC? Some of the most dangerous places in the nation.

What about places where firearm carrying is unrestricted? Perhaps Vermont where they have "constitutional carry". Oddly, it's one of the safest places in the nation. In spite of being a liberal haven the anti-gunners have made no progress there disarming the people.

You raised an EMOTIONAL point and showed exactly why the anti's try to exploit emotion in their arguments all the time. It SEEMS like their proposals are sound. But, in fact, they don't work. Consider "gun free zones". How's that working at schools or airports?

Rather than say, "there ought to be a law" and rely on the government to solve your problem. Take PERSONAL responsibility to be a knowledgeable, safe, and proficient gun owner.

nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I've thought through the same things as you have and decided if I or my family were in fear for their lives that's when I would take action... I definitely recommend taking a class that's what me and my wife are gonna be doing come spring

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Below is the list of the guns I want. I can't afford them, and that means my gun rights are being infringed. The government's job is to protect my constitutional rights, so the government needs to get me the guns. I am ready to take them by FedEx:
    Because we all know the .gov is supposed to protect our rights :rolleyes:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's scary that classes are not required.

That may sound like a good idea but please consider the implications of that statement. You are saying that it would be BEST if someone else, most likely a governmental agency or bureaucrat had the authority to say you are sufficiently qualified to purchase/own/carry/use a firearm to defend yourself.

Never did I say what I thought would be best. Ever. Those words were assumed and put into my mouth, and then people started arguing against a position I never took. Do I think it's scary that people are walking around with guns and have no clue how or when to use them? Absolutely. Did I ever take a stand on whether training should be required? No.

I raised the comparison of getting a driver's license and getting a gun license out of curiosity because I didn't clearly see the difference. I did not take a stand either way. Again, most posters heard what they wanted to hear and started arguing against a position I never took rather than genuinely trying to enlighten me.

Apparently this is not the forum to ask questions if you truly want to learn something.

Maybe we need to separate the forums (uh oh, Bubba, there she goes talking about rules again...) into knowledge forums and argument forums.

Post in one forum if you have questions you want answered or if you are willing to take the time to answer someone else's questions. We could call it The Learning Forum.

Post in another forum if all you want to do is mock, chastise, patronize, and prove how obviously superior you are to those who are uncertain or feel differently than you. We could call it the Bottom-Feeders' Circle Jerk.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You know, this forum is a place to exhange ideas, make contacts (and possibly friends) and just have an opportunity to shoot the stuff with like minded people. The idea that you must search this forum (as if the search function actually worked that good) for answers is just plain stupid. Google is much better for that that this and you can actually find articles without all the sarcasm and rudeness.
    If an INGO member doesn' t like that idea that someone posts a tread about somehting that's already been covered they should simply not open up the tread and definitely they should not post their assinine comments.
    Better yet, just put everyone on your ignore list.
    That way you can bask in your own glory and we won't have to read your crap.
    Thank you.
    We now return to our regulalry scheduled program.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    "It's scary that classes aren't required" implies that it would be less scary if classes were required, which implies that it would be better if classes were required. So yeah, it seems like you're saying that you would prefer if classes were required.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why would a person not take it upon themselves to get training when faced with this scary realization?

Training will work towards the mechanics of proper use. It will not clarify every situation.
    Muscle memory and active use can be taught. When to use can be discussed. Until you are actually put in this situation no one.......again, no one can say what they will do.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Training will work towards the mechanics of proper use. It will not clarify every situation.
    Muscle memory and active use can be taught. When to use can be discussed. Until you are actually put in this situation no one.......again, no one can say what they will do.

You get it, CM. My original question was almost a rhetorical one-- a thinking-out-loud realization that **** just got real. I know training is necessary. I have had training and plan to continue it. (Not that anyone even asked.) But as you say, nothing can truly prepare you for every situation where you may have to pull that trigger.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You get it, CM. My original question was almost a rhetorical one-- a thinking-out-loud realization that **** just got real. I know training is necessary. I have had training and plan to continue it. (Not that anyone even asked.) But as you say, nothing can truly prepare you for every situation where you may have to pull that trigger.

Training will take care of half the equation. If you use the gun enough as you are trained to, you will find that no real thought is required. It will be in your hand at the ready and you then have to decide if using it is the end all.
    Muscle memory will surprise you. I or my son can have our side arm out, up and on target in a blink. It will be automatic with practice. One fluid movement. Sometimes just that efficient operation will disarm a near violent situation. Bring a weapon to bear is one thing.....Using it is another thing. Pulling the trigger escalates you into a whole new realm of paper work and legal involvement.

Train....practice and train some more. Get comfortable with your EDC. Know every aspect of it. Every gun has different quirks or requirements. Get you grip right for you. Know what to expect from it.

After all of that.....pray you never have to use it outside of enjoyment.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Indiana doesn't have drivers ed? Ah, to live in a free state.

Indiana has Driver's Ed.

I had it when I was in HS. I'm on the back end of my "mid 30s"

I'm not sure how old actaeon277 is, however.

Could be that certain folks would be approved for an IN DL by having had x-years farm experience or .mil experience. I have no idea.

I don't think driver's education is mandatory, however. But I know that if you didn't have it - you had to wait longer to get your DL.

-J-

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    You said your question was rhetorical, and almost "thinking out loud," but it still describes your thoughts on the matter. I gave an explanation as to why people assumed you thought mandatory training is a good thing, yet you completely ignored it. Does the logic below make sense to you?
    "It's scary that classes aren't required" implies that it would be less scary if classes were required, which implies that it would be better if classes were required. So yeah, it seems like you're saying that you would prefer if classes were required.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You said your question was rhetorical, and almost "thinking out loud," but it still describes your thoughts on the matter. I gave an explanation as to why people assumed you thought mandatory training is a good thing, yet you completely ignored it. Does the logic below make sense to you?

That's a lot of 'implying' and 'seeming like' and 'preferring', all of which are vague. If anyone had asked rather than assuming they knew what I thought, I would have told them that I am undecided about whether handgun training should be "required" or just more strongly promoted and encouraged. I was able to buy two guns and secure my LTCH without any mention whatsoever of the necessity of training or practicing. I took it upon myself to A) join this forum to become better educated B) take an NRA class and C) go to the range weekly to practice firing my guns. But not everyone knows what is available or feels the same level of responsibility, and yes, I think that's scary.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...The idea that you must search this forum (as if the search function actually worked that good) for answers is just plain stupid...
    If an INGO member doesn' t like that idea that someone posts a tread about somehting that's already been covered they should simply not open up the tread and definitely they should not post their assinine comments.

;)
    Let me google that for you

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    OMG, is that an actual constructive suggestion from bwframe? :faint: Too bad it was just a "me-too" post. You lose points there.

This course might be a nice complement to the NRA training I have already had.

Dragon lady seems you can dish it out purty good.

There was no sarcasm about your original question. There were 3 or 4 serious posts afterwards. Your Next post set off some on a sarcastic bent. Even after there were some good suggestions. But all you could do was wine about your feelings being hurt. Then the PCers glomed on.

You said it was scary training wasn't required (statism).

You were asked if you had any training and didn't answer.

Later you asked how do we know you don't. Well, it's obvious.

Why if it is scary that training is not required, do you have no training and we would suppose (since you are here) own and possibly carry a fire arm.

Yeah, seems you can dish it out, too bad you have such a thin skin.

Top Bottom