• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Maybe just maybe she was saying she was surprised that it wasn't required not that she thought it should be required. (Correct me if I am wrong Snapdragon)

Yeah, just sort of thinking out loud that it's a little scary that someone can own such a deadly weapon without any training. Wasn't really taking a stand either way.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Another point of reference. Arizona started with a permit required for concealed carry with training requirement. Now as of 2010 no permit or training required for concealed carry. Training "requirement" is the wrong direction to go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you so sure that I haven't?
    Yes. You would not be asking such questions otherwise.
    Hence the suggestion again to search INGO on these topics. A wealth of information is here, especially if you can get by the need to discuss every tiny detail until you can have a slight understanding of the subject.

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Why? Every man is born knowing how to drive, have sex, and shoot. So it's pointless for the state to require training. Besides, we've given up too much of our manhood to modern sensibility, getting in touch with our feelings and such. Don't you dare take that away form us! Since you're a girl, naturally you just assume guys need tutoring. It's just not true.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    frustrated.gif

There is a B I G difference between saying that training is a great idea and making
    training MANDATORY to be able to exercise a RIGHT.

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    From a training perspective I have a few recommendations for you. If sounds like you already have the knowledge you would get in a basis NRA course. Being that you are in NWI, next I would suggest a the Fortress Defense 2 day handgun class. The owner - Frank Sharp has a great self defense mindset. He also has several female instructors and teaches some all female classes that you may be interested in. You could start with checking out there November news letter
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cw-shooting-equipment-failure-2014-sched.html

Also important is a legal class. The guy in Indy has a good reputation. Another option is to take Massad Ayoob's Mag 20 class. It is 2 days of legal training. It is $400 and well worth it. The next class in our area is in Aurora IL next November. MAG-20 / Classroom - Armed Citizen's Rules of Engagement | Massad Ayoob Group

Another legal education path is to join the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. With membership you get a set of CD's that cover the legal aspects of using a gun in a self defense situation. They also provide legal assistance if you are ever involved in a self defense shooting.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I would suggest a the Fortress Defense 2 day handgun class. The owner - Frank Sharp has a great self defense mindset. He also has several female instructors and teaches some all female classes that you may be interested in. You could start with checking out there November news letter
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cw-shooting-equipment-failure-2014-sched.html

I can second the Fortress Defense / Frank Sharp recommendation. I'm fortunate to have trained with him.
    (that newsletter link is bad though)

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Another type of training not yet mentioned is force on force training. Get the legal class on gun laws, get the basic safety classes taken if you haven't had that training, get some shooting basics down, then go take some force on force training at mindset labs. Yes, you could buy two or three guns with the money you would spend on all of this training, but you'd be better off with one gun and all of this training, than four or five guns and none of this training.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I can second the Fortress Defense / Frank Sharp recommendation. I'm fortunate to have trained with him.
    (that newsletter link is bad though)
    OMG, is that an actual constructive suggestion from bwframe? :faint: Too bad it was just a "me-too" post. You lose points there.

This course might be a nice complement to the NRA training I have already had.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...If anybody feels that someone should do a search instead of a post then don't take part in the thread.

Another important aspect of searching INGO is that it is much, much easier to learn when there is no felt obligation to reply to whatever might be thrown from the peanut gallery. :rolleyes: Separating the wheat from the chaff is much better when others have already done it for you. If not, take the good, leave the bad. You will quickly learn who has the solid advice and who posts just to hear themselves talk.

Reading what a consensus of experienced folks have posted on a subject over many threads can be an invaluable learning tool. A tool that can lead to better informed questions of your own. Again, it is very, very rare that a topic is completely unique on INGO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom