• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Crazy really. Like most things in life, it's about being prepared. I've only lived here since 1993 from Nevada and I never really felt the effect of not being able to buy one day a week. It really is not a big deal that people make it out to be.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Crazy really. Like most things in life, it's about being prepared. I've only lived here since 1993 from Nevada and I never really felt the effect of not being able to buy one day a week. It really is not a big deal that people make it out to be.

Why ride in the front of the bus when you can ride in the back... :rolleyes:

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Because for a lot of the "Mom & Pop" liqour stores that is their only day off. Not saying I agree with the prohibition, just giving the reasoning why the Liquor store lobby is not pulling for sunday sales.

It doesn't have anything to do with a "day off." Liquor stores do not want Sunday sales at grocery stores because it is the #1 grocery shopping day of the week. An alcohol purchase you can make on Sunday while grocery shopping is a purchase that you won't make on Monday at their liquor store because you couldn't make it on Sunday while grocery shopping. For those of us who work in statistical probability, there is some credence to their concern.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indiana House of Representatives Republican Caucus: State Representative Bill Davis - Home

I am very excited to serve the citizens!

The very first sentence in his greeting. I don't think that refusing to let this bill be brought to the floor for a vote is a service to the citizens!
    Let the vote happen and the chips fall where they may.

Would be interesting to find the money trail that follows this guy.

The way things go we will probably read about this guy arrested for DUI on a Sunday later down the road.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It is not that liquor store owners want Sundays off. The reason they oppose lifting the prohibition is that they realize more than half of the population does their weekly grocery shopping on Sunday. If they are able to stock up on booze at the same time, those shoppers are less likely to visit a liquor store during the rest of the week.

Likely to be true. But the salient question is: so what?

Heaven forbid a small business should have to compete!

Where are the small carpet cleaning businesses that are being protected by preventing a Rug Doctor rental at Kroger on Sunday? Oh, that's right. They aren't. They don't have enough clout, apparently.

Gee, why can't we protect Chik-fil-a by forcing other fast food places to close on Sunday? Except the dining room. Just close the drive-through. Because it's OK if you stuff your face silly with an eat-in, but don't you dare get it to go!

I'm not a drinker, but even I can see this Sunday Closing policy is just asinine.

JMO

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    What if your LGS could only hire certified persons 21 and over? Wal-Mart does not.

What if the only people that could shop in a LGS could only be 21+? Wal-Mart customers do not need to be.

What if the government said you can only have a gun store for every 8000 people a town has and a big box store selling guns for every 1500 people in a town?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What if your LGS could only hire certified persons 21 and over? Wal-Mart does not.

What if the only people that could shop in a LGS could only be 21+? Wal-Mart customers do not need to be.

What if the government said you can only have a gun store for every 8000 people a town has and a big box store selling guns for every 1500 people in a town?

Justify it. Go on. "but mommy why can't I have a ribbon like Timmy!?"

Instead of justifying and enabling draconian laws, what if they were all repealed?

What if apologists for big brother and the nanny state weren't statist petty tyrants looking to protect their monopoly?

What if liberty... was legalized?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

I'm confused. Are you saying that because the government heavily restricts liquor stores that it makes it right for liquor stores to want restrictions that favor them as well?

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    What ticks me off most about this is that ONE man can make the decision whether or not this is brought to the legislature floor for a vote. How the hell does that work?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It is not that liquor store owners want Sundays off. The reason they oppose lifting the prohibition is that they realize more than half of the population does their weekly grocery shopping on Sunday. If they are able to stock up on booze at the same time, those shoppers are less likely to visit a liquor store during the rest of the week.

THIS ^

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So while no one agrees with the laws original premise, they keep it around to suit one group of businessmen?

What a crock of .......

Can we at least get the damn blue law that prohibits ANY sales of alcohol on Election Day repealed? THAT ONE IS STILL ON THE BOOKS.

musicmonkey317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'd need to see the data on how it would impact the mom&pop shops before I make a conclusion. I can't believe the impact would be that destructive to them if they chose to remain closed on Sunday's.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    :dunno:

I'm not sure where one has anything to do with the other. IMO both should be repealed. As should laws prohibiting minors into 'bars'. It's absurd.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone try and claim that because minors can walk into a grocery store, no one should be allowed to sell alcohol on Sundays.

That's one heck of a stretch there.

No it's not one heck of a stretch.

Liquor Stores are vastly prohibited on what they can and can not do.
    Grocery/Drug and Convenience stores are not.

If a bill was introduce upon the House floor that forced Grocery stores adhere to the same laws as Liquor stores, then there would not be a problem.

Make everybody play to the same set of rules, not one for Liquor stores and another set for GS/CS/DS like there is now.

You think Grocery Stores and Drug stores would throw a fit if liquor stores was allowed to dispense prescription drugs?

Heck ya they would, that's their #1 money maker, and the one reason that they are allowed to sell alcohol, because of being able to purchase a very cheap pharmacy liquor license compared to a more expensive liquor store license which is based on population numbers.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Beer man,

Can you come up with one single reason of why Sunday sales shouldn't be made legal that isn't predicated upon bogus monopoly laws and protectionism enforced over the barrel of a government gun?

It's painfully obvious you hate the free markets. Repealing this law would be a step in removing those impediments and tearing down the monopoly on alcohol sales.

You know you could find another job if you couldn't compete in alcohol sales anymore right?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    We used to live in Highland. Every once in a while I would drive by the liquor store on Ridge road in Lansing Illinois. People we waiting in line for it to open at noon on a Sunday. Most of them from Indiana.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    No it's not one heck of a stretch.

Liquor Stores are vastly prohibited on what they can and can not do.
    Grocery/Drug and Convenience stores are not.

If a bill was introduce upon the House floor that forced Grocery stores adhere to the same laws as Liquor stores, then there would not be a problem.

Make everybody play to the same set of rules, not one for Liquor stores and another set for GS/CS/DS like there is now.

You think Grocery Stores and Drug stores would throw a fit if liquor stores was allowed to dispense prescription drugs?

Heck ya they would, that's their #1 money maker, and the one reason that they are allowed to sell alcohol, because of being able to purchase a very cheap pharmacy liquor license compared to a more expensive liquor store license which is based on population numbers.

Then why aren't the liquor stores trying to repeal the idiotic requirements placed upon them instead of trying to restrict other people...

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just make it legal to sell alcohol 7 days a week. If the liquor store wants to stay closed on Sunday; that's their business. Chick-Fil-A closes on Sunday. Not hurting them one bit.

Top Bottom