• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I just wish this convo would get real, and by real I mean talking about things REALISTICALLY. Every thread on here ends as a litmus test. If your not "pure" than somebody sitting naked in a Ron Paul fleece blanket points at you as the problems with the world...Think meth is bad and should be illegal?...musta voted for obama...think that selling children is bad....must not listen to the same 0200hrs. A.M. radio I do.
    The package store lobby is NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH to the lobby of Walmart, Costco, Kroger, Marsh etc.... so stop misleading people
    Package stores simply want the SAME rules as everyone else, and NOT FURTHER preferred treatment to those with big $$$ to buy their way into the market.
    Since there are NO bills, none, not any, that would make the market fair, they are fighting AGAINST laws that negatively affect them.
    I would love to talk seriously about the issue, but if my status of an American is going to be called into question with regards to alcohol deregulation, im not going to waste any more time....Maybe I'll start my own package store lobby and retire down south since they have so much $$$

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What percentage of the liquor store lobbying dollars are being spent fighting to maintain the status quor or more protectionism for themselves vs ending all protectionism?

Maybe if we can get enough people to boycott the liquor stores, they'll quit fighting to allow Sunday alcohol sales. I'm for ending all regulations on it for all parties involved.

How about less that what you pay for groceries for the month.

The profit margin of a liquor store would knock your socks off if your really knew it.

The only $$$'s being thrown around are the big box grocery stores whose corporate offices are located out of the state of Indiana.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just wish this convo would get real, and by real I mean talking about things REALISTICALLY. Every thread on here ends as a litmus test. If your not "pure" than somebody sitting naked in a Ron Paul fleece blanket points at you as the problems with the world...Think meth is bad and should be illegal?...musta voted for obama...think that selling children is bad....must not listen to the same 0200hrs. A.M. radio I do.
    The package store lobby is NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH to the lobby of Walmart, Costco, Kroger, Marsh etc.... so stop misleading people
    Package stores simply want the SAME rules as everyone else, and NOT FURTHER preferred treatment to those with big $$$ to buy their way into the market.
    Since there are NO bills, none, not any, that would make the market fair, they are fighting AGAINST laws that negatively affect them.
    I would love to talk seriously about the issue, but if my status of an American is going to be called into question with regards to alcohol deregulation, im not going to waste any more time....Maybe I'll start my own package store lobby and retire down south since they have so much $$$

There is no realism in the political thread.

There's more than a handful of people who thinks the world would be all roses and lollipops if it operated the way they thought it should.

I'm able to see both sides of the issue because I'm in the business, and until the greedy GS/DS/CS's (and I do mean greedy), are willing to adhere to some common ground laws, everyone looses.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The profit margin of a liquor store would knock your socks off if your really knew it.

Then why would anyone waste their time running one?

Serious question. Why?

Back on topic, try to justify it all you want but protectionist big brother nanny state laws that destroy a free market and rail against capitalism are evil.

Pretenders. Not just a band.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    When businesses can't compete they do go under. This benefits the consumer and is the way the free market works like it or not. Government interference in the free market always raises costs to the consumer. Bigger stores make bigger purchases and can sell for lower prices and still make a profit. When and if any Liquor stores go under it will be because their prices are higher. I don't understand what their competitive advantage is now or how they manage to stay open but not being able to sell alcohol on Sunday is just plain silly.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then why would anyone waste their time running one?

Serious question. Why?

Back on topic, try to justify it all you want but protectionist big brother nanny state laws that destroy a free market and rail against capitalism are evil.

Pretenders. Not just a band.

Please explain to me how not allowing Sunday sales is destroying the free market and railing against capitalism?

What protectionist nanny state law?

Enlighten me on the economic principles of this.

Also what part have you missed me stating that the liquor stores want fair and equal laws so that Grocery/Drug and Convenience stores do not gain a even more unfair advantage.

Because right now, all GS/DS and CS's want is to be able to use it as a selling tool to get you into their store and drive business towards items that Liquor stores are prohibited to sell. Plain and simple bottom line to it, they use it as a loss leader to draw you into the store.

Lastly before I leave this thread is this.....

What part of this sentence have you not understood, because it's really simple......

A law that lumps every business that sells liquor under the same umbrella and does not favor one over the other.

Which means they all have to follow the same regulations imposed on them for retail sales. It's a very simple solution, but the IRGA (Independent Retail Grocers Association) would never want that.
    God forbid the GC/CS/DS's having to adhere to a law that has been imposed on another class of business for decades.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    When businesses can't compete they do go under. This benefits the consumer and is the way the free market works like it or not. Government interference in the free market always raises costs to the consumer. Bigger stores make bigger purchases and can sell for lower prices and still make a profit. When and if any Liquor stores go under it will be because their prices are higher. I don't understand what their competitive advantage is now or how they manage to stay open but not being able to sell alcohol on Sunday is just plain silly.

Bulk price purchases went by the way side about 20 years ago in the beer business because of over buying and product going out of date and the distributor having to go back and pick it up and eat the cost of the outdated beer.

Grocery stores sell it cheap because they use it as a loss leader to get you into the store and buy other more expensive marked up items.

Less outlets='s less competition=higher prices.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What protectionist nanny state law?

The one you keep demanding to keep your monopoly, as you put it:
    A law that lumps every business that sells liquor under the same umbrella and does not favor one over the other.

You can't spin your way out of this one, because you say exactly what law(s) you want later on-

You want government men with guns to to keep your happy little monopoly in place, as you put it, it's very simple:
    Which means they all have to follow the same regulations imposed on them for retail sales. It's a very simple solution, but the IRGA (Independent Retail Grocers Association) would never want that.
    God forbid the GC/CS/DS's having to adhere to a law that has been imposed on another class of business for decades.
    See, there you have it, keep the protectionist laws in place. F the free markets. F the people. You get yours and no one else can play because you've got your licenses locked up.

Less outlets='s less competition=higher prices.

Your solutions, as quoted above, limits outlets under protectionist laws to keep retailers at a minimum.

Only in your bizzaro statist world does less sellers equal more competition.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My :twocents:.

The law to not sale on Sunday came many years ago.

The law was meant to get drunks sober enough to attend church on Sunday with the family.

If your not wealthy enough to buy your Sunday supply on Saturday, then you should not be buying it in the first place.

Red Herrings.

I've got gallons and gallons of alcohol, yet I still manage to make it to church every Sunday. But, sometimes I'm traveling and want to pick up something on Sunday that I can't get at home (rare beer, etc.) or I want a particular bottle of wine for cooking a meal.

But alas, in Indiana I'm screwed.

If package stores want a change in their favor, then they should start proposing laws instead of blocking what the people want.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    If package stores want a change in their favor, then they should start proposing laws instead of blocking what the people want.

And we have a winner folks.

49/50 states figured it out. They all have a form of package stores. They all have Wal-Marts. They all have grocery stores. The only people who don't want change are the package stores.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The one you keep demanding to keep your monopoly, as you put it:

You can't spin your way out of this one, because you say exactly what law(s) you want later on-

You want government men with guns to to keep your happy little monopoly in place, as you put it, it's very simple:
    See, there you have it, keep the protectionist laws in place. F the free markets. F the people. You get yours and no one else can play because you've got your licenses locked up.

Your solutions, as quoted above, limits outlets under protectionist laws to keep retailers at a minimum.

Only in your bizzaro statist world does less sellers equal more competition.

Do you only know how to answer your own self created narratives?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    And we have a winner folks.

49/50 states figured it out. They all have a form of package stores. They all have Wal-Marts. They all have grocery stores. The only people who don't want change are the package stores.

Yes, those states all have the above, plus those states laws do not discriminate, they all must follow the same law.

Unlike here in Indiana, Liquor Stores must adhere to a much more restrictive sales law and licensing requirements than Grocery Stores, Drug Stores and Convenience stores.

Indiana Retail Liquor Store have long fought to have the law changed so they may sell other items, but you never see or hear that.

Top Bottom