• ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Looking at SB 13...

level.eleven, you're barking up the wrong tree, heck you're not even looking @ the right bill that was shot down.

If you would have read the entire thread you would have noticed this...
    Indiana House Bill 1146 would have allowed carry-out sales of alcohol at most retailers seven days a week. On Wednesday, House Public Policy Committee Chairman Bill Davis (R-Portland) said he will not allow the legislation to come up for a vote.[/I]

It specific's is allowing Sunday sales, no revisions to current laws.

PERIOD.

SB 013, has not even had a roll call vote. I can tell you why this is not going any where, the same people fighting for Sunday sales do not want this. It in itself defacto makes the Grocery, Drug and Convenience start adhering to the same licensing requirements and qualifications that Liquor Stores have to.

Perfect example of GS/CS and DS's wanting their cake, eating too and not wanting to share.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    level.eleven, you're barking up the wrong tree, heck you're not even looking @ the right bill that was shot down.

If you would have read the entire thread you would have noticed this...

It specific's is allowing Sunday sales, no revisions to current laws.

PERIOD.

SB 013, has not even had a roll call vote. I can tell you why this is not going any where, the same people fighting for Sunday sales do not want this. It in itself defacto makes the Grocery, Drug and Convenience start adhering to the same licensing requirements and qualifications that Liquor Stores have to.

Perfect example of GS/CS and DS's wanting their cake, eating too and not wanting to share.

Yes. I moved on. No reason to talk about a dead bill. I moved to SB 13 because it is supported by Change it Indiana and addresses some of the talking points you have been given.

Why do you oppose SB 13?

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yes. I moved on. No reason to talk about a dead bill. I moved to SB 13 because it is supported by Change it Indiana and addresses some of the talking points you have been given.

Why do you oppose SB 13?

I don't oppose, it, heck I did not even know about it.

I more than bet that the Grocery stores and such want no part of it because it opens up a pandora's box of them having to follow clerk licensing requirements, mandatory training and other requirements.

Heck the Indy Star does not bring SB013 up, all the focus was on HB1146.

See how the spin gets put on things.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I more than bet that the Grocery stores and such want no part of it because it opens up a pandora's box of them having to follow clerk licensing requirements, mandatory training and other requirements.

What? They are selling the beer 6 other days of the week. Doing the same thing on another day doesn't change the requirements.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What? They are selling the beer 6 other days of the week. Doing the same thing on another day doesn't change the requirements.
    You aren't going to win with that guy.

He has a monopoly that is enforced by government agents with guns. Liberty, freedom, free markets, his consumers be damned.

He is going to hold onto his ball and won't let anyone else play with it. If they try, he'll send guys with guns to kill them.

If he was a capable businessman, able to compete in a free market, he'd be in favor of repealing all the draconian laws.

It's like the welfare women with 8 kids screaming that someone has to "pay for this" and voting for politicians who will send men with guns out to get money to give to her. No difference. They vote and act 100% out of greed. To heck with liberty, freedom and other peoples rights.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Their selling requirements are already different then the liquor stores. Liquors store employes must go through training and they must card every single person, even their own parents and relatives. Grocery store employes do not have to go through any paid training and can sell to anyone that looks over 30-40 without looking at their ID

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

SB013 would lump GS/DS/CS's into the same category as a Liquor store, something that HB1146 did not.

That would mean that they would have to adhere to laws that they do not have to now.

Mandatory training for all clerks every two years
    Clerks would have to be licensed

Things like that, a expense that they don't want to have.

After seeing SB013, I favor it, like I said though, bet the grocery stores do not, otherwise they would be wanting it passed, but you don't hear them championing this bill. Only HB1146 that allowed them to sell on Sunday's with no other restrictions.

Like I said, they want their cake, but they want it their way and don't want it served with an exception to it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Matthew Tully lays it out pretty well.

Special Interest Politics.

Dozens of companies and organizations are registered to lobby in Indiana on alcohol issues, and liquor stores and alcohol-related trade groups alone spent nearly $1 million on reportable lobbying expenses in the 12-month period ending Oct. 31.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130202/NEWS08/302020319

The talking points aren't resonating with the public. Change will happen.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    SB013 would lump GS/DS/CS's into the same category as a Liquor store, something that HB1146 did not.

That would mean that they would have to adhere to laws that they do not have to now.

Mandatory training for all clerks every two years
    Clerks would have to be licensed

Things like that, a expense that they don't want to have.

After seeing SB013, I favor it, like I said though, bet the grocery stores do not, otherwise they would be wanting it passed, but you don't hear them championing this bill. Only HB1146 that allowed them to sell on Sunday's with no other restrictions.

Like I said, they want their cake, but they want it their way and don't want it served with an exception to it.

I missed the part that changes licensing requirements. What section are you reading? Perhaps I misread something.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You aren't going to win with that guy.

He has a monopoly that is enforced by government agents with guns. Liberty, freedom, free markets, his consumers be damned.

He is going to hold onto his ball and won't let anyone else play with it. If they try, he'll send guys with guns to kill them.

If he was a capable businessman, able to compete in a free market, he'd be in favor of repealing all the draconian laws.

It's like the welfare women with 8 kids screaming that someone has to "pay for this" and voting for politicians who will send men with guns out to get money to give to her. No difference. They vote and act 100% out of greed. To heck with liberty, freedom and other peoples rights.

Know what little smart ***, Me and my sister owned a Pizza shop 30 years ago until our silent partner stole us blind. I ran a capable business, I just don't want to deal with having to baby sit one 14/7/365 again.

If I owned a Liquor store I'd support SB013, it puts everyone on the same footing.

Your problem is that you don't want a single law, and that's beyond my, yours and every Joe Six Pack's pay grade and job classification.

So unless you have a brilliant idea of how to reboot the system, then we are stuck with it. Get it, get over it, get a life.

SB013 is a fair all around and would satisfy all who would want Sunday sales in my eyes.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Matthew Tully lays it out pretty well.

Special Interest Politics.

Dozens of companies and organizations are registered to lobby in Indiana on alcohol issues, and liquor stores and alcohol-related trade groups alone spent nearly $1 million on reportable lobbying expenses in the 12-month period ending Oct. 31.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130202/NEWS08/302020319

The talking points aren't resonating with the public. Change will happen.

How about Tully doing some real reporting and throwing some stats out there stating how much the Indiana Retail Grocer's Association has delved out. You don't see that number because it would make that 1 Million look small.

All one sided reporting, just like he has on gun issues.

I missed the part that changes licensing requirements. What section are you reading? Perhaps I misread something.

If I'm not mistaken, having to acquire the "supplemental dealer's permit", would now lump them in the same class as a Liquor store and they would be force to. Bet $$$'s that would be the exact interpretation of the Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Commission of it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    It's good to know that the propaganda by the Indiana Petroleum Council, the Indiana Petroleum Marketers & Convenience Store Association, and the Indiana Retail Council is having it's intended effect

Still not as powerful as the Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers and the $1 Million they tossed around last year.

What is your point?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The most frustrating thing about this arguement is that if a bill for full deregulation came about, all of us here would support it

I thought the number 1 complaint was the cost of being open on Sunday and the loss to grocery stores on the second busiest day of the year?

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    What ticks me off most about this is that ONE man can make the decision whether or not this is brought to the legislature floor for a vote. How the hell does that work?

The same way that Harry Reid can do the same thing in the U.S. Senate and B. Pat Bauer in the IN. House used to and get away with it. Because DA':rules: say that he can. Not saying it is right, just answering the question of
    How the hell does that work?
    ;)

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I thought the number 1 complaint was the cost of being open on Sunday and the loss to grocery stores on the second busiest day of the year?

when the rules are eliminated and/or everybody has to play by the same ones, what's left to complain about? That would be a free market and if the package stores couldnt make it then....bye bye

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Still not as powerful as the Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers and the $1 Million they tossed around last year.

What is your point?

you think thos 3 are less powerful? the lobby groups that sell EVERYTHING, gas, food, clothes, and ALCOHOL, are somehow less powerful than 1 lobby group whos members only sell alcohol?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    when the rules are eliminated and/or everybody has to play by the same ones, what's left to complain about? That would be a free market and if the package stores couldnt make it then....bye bye

So then the extra day of being open and additional costs are strawmen. Got it.

Top Bottom