So I'm a moron and now there are things stuck in my M44 barrel ....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've got kind of a kick out of this thread. I'm not ready to tell on myself for my antics. (Already told the story about the rifle grenade blank in the basement). Those things got some power.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    update :
    literally took a come-a-long to get the steel rod out , wrapped the rod up and put a rag around the bayonet lug and hooked a chain around that and pulled the rod free...

I was going to suggest a cable winch and a truck bumper but it seemed a little extreme. Apparently not so extreme after all. Glad you are making progress. It has been an entertaining thread.

2ndAMEND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Northern
    These should not be used for cleaning barrels. I think I found your problem.

(mistake #1) I started putting full size swatches down the barrel trying to speed up the process. After a few one gets lodged in the barrel approx 8" from the muzzle tip. I broke both of my cleaning rods trying to get it out and looked for something to force it out

Swatch_watches.jpg

Yup, that'll do it! Haha

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is an awesome thread! Who would EVER want it to die. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the sudden progress. Somehow reading about someone else's incurable mishaps make mine seem more curable. I can empathize though. I once got a wooden dowel stuck down the barrel. But in my defense, it was a BB gun and I was 11.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I once got irritated and beat a brand new coated Dewey cleaning rod to death with a hammer, trying to pop a Cerrosafe chamber cast out of an eroded bore. Fancy ball bearing handle is locked in place place since that day. Had to melt the chamber cast to get it out and bought another cleaning rod, but I still have it and have found some uses for a cleaning rod that doesn't turn!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    update #2:
    used a homemade worm to get debree out of the barrel (a normal one was too large in diameter). Most of the carbon fiber arrow shaft turned to ash and fibers, took about 2 1/2 hours but worked a little bit of fibers out at a time. All that is left at this moment in time is about 10inches of uncooked arrow shaft. So tonight I will take the torch to it again and cook the rest of the arrow shaft and will proceed to get that out a little at a time. The brightside is all this working, heating, soaking in bore cleaner etc has made that bore look bright and shiney inside. I estimate that i have 10-11 hours in this at this point (most was unproductive), alot of time for what i hope to be a 3-4MOA rifle. Dare I say I have come to "enjoy" this project in an odd way, have learned my lesson and a great lesson in patience since then.

This rifle will have a special place in the safe and tell my kids about doing stupid crap just to attempt to save a little time.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    update #2:
    used a homemade worm to get debree out of the barrel (a normal one was too large in diameter). Most of the carbon fiber arrow shaft turned to ash and fibers, took about 2 1/2 hours but worked a little bit of fibers out at a time. All that is left at this moment in time is about 10inches of uncooked arrow shaft. So tonight I will take the torch to it again and cook the rest of the arrow shaft and will proceed to get that out a little at a time. The brightside is all this working, heating, soaking in bore cleaner etc has made that bore look bright and shiney inside. I estimate that i have 10-11 hours in this at this point (most was unproductive), alot of time for what i hope to be a 3-4MOA rifle. Dare I say I have come to "enjoy" this project in an odd way, have learned my lesson and a great lesson in patience since then.

This rifle will have a special place in the safe and tell my kids about doing stupid crap just to attempt to save a little time.

I did enjoy perusing this thread. :)

Glad progress has been made! Would love to see a pic of all the stuff that WAS stuck in the bore. Maybe the rifle will turn out to be a great shooter!

Top Bottom