So I'm a moron and now there are things stuck in my M44 barrel ....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    AGI Gun Course $1000
    AGI Gun Course bill from Collection Agency after non completion and non-payment $3500
    Mosin Nagant victim $150
    Case of beer and Misc. hard Liquor $45
    Carbon Arrow and half of cleaning kit(stuck in barrel) $25

Admitting all this on INGO-----Priceless! :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would pull the rifle out of the stock. Then if you have an idea of where the patch is stuck, I would take a propane torch (shop torch) and heat the barrel in the general area of the patch. Dont heat it cherry red or anything, just enough to start the patch smoldering and see once it smolders a bit if thats enough to loosen everything up.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    tried the break free ......didn't work

I suggest you contact an INGO mod and have them remove the title of "expert" from below your name. :ingo:
    agreed, I know I am far far from an expert, i would settle for moron at the moment, i keep frustrating myself the more i think about it

Maybe OP should just stay away from firearms and take up sewing? :dunno:

did I not mention the crochet needle stuck in there as well

AGI Gun Course $1000
    AGI Gun Course bill from Collection Agency after non completion and non-payment $3500
    Mosin Nagant victim $150
    Case of beer and Misc. hard Liquor $45
    Carbon Arrow and half of cleaning kit(stuck in barrel) $25

Admitting all this on INGO-----Priceless! :rockwoot:

I am not classy enough for $45 in beer and liquor , more like $11 a case Hamms and $12 bottle of everclear = $23

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Soooooooo .........let the flaming begin ...

I recently purchased a Mosin M44 , outside is nice numbers matching serial starts with serial " *TXXX" .....i thought the funny 6 pointed star and T was different and I am always good for "different" . Anyway , externals looked great but the rifling looked like a sewer pipe. But I am a sucker for mosins.

I took her home and began with bore cleaner over and over and over some more ...... still awful,

(mistake #1) I started putting full size swatches down the barrel trying to speed up the process. After a few one gets lodged in the barrel approx 8" from the muzzle tip. I broke both of my cleaning rods trying to get it out and looked for something to force it out

(mistake #2). I found a round metal rod (12", diameter about 1/2 of the bore size) and proceeded to pound it in muzzle end, it broke off about 1" inside the muzzle.

(mistake #3) I was concerned about damaging threads and put a carbon fiber arrow shaft in the breech end and plunged it in. I put a 3' steel rod inside the arrow shaft and began pounding away trying to free the whole mess....... well that didn't happen

now i have a M44 with a arrow shaft/3ft steel rod sticking out the breech and a swatch and broken rod in the muzzle end. I am unable to remove any of it at this time , i figure tomorrow i will put some vise-grips on the 3ft rod and use a mallet to hammer the opposite direction (away from the rifle). I imagine the arrow shaft is very stuck now as well along with the other rod and swatch.

The reason I'm posting this is for all of you new and old to take a step back and don't make the bad worse (and more worse). I take some satisfaction is that my mistake is only a $150 mistake , it could have been more. I understand what i SHOULD HAVE DONE, such as an air compressor etc. I guess I could have claimed that a family member did this or something else but I am going to learn from my mistake as I hope others do as well.

sooooo, Im thinking of lightly heating the barrel till the patch turns to cinders ? does that even make sense ? any suggestions ?

and yes I know , I'm a moron

Jackie-Chan-WTF-meme-face-70958233396.jpeg

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    This is driving me crazy for some reason.
    Clamp that arrow in a vise and pull it out. Lube the inside of the barrel and take the largest wooden oak dowel that will fit down the barrel and pound that clog out. Surely it can not be that tight.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Clamp that arrow in a vise and pull it out. Lube the inside of the barrel and take the largest wooden oak dowel that will fit down the barrel and pound that clog out. Surely it can not be that tight.

He broke a STEEL rod off trying to pound it out... surely it IS that tight...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom

He broke a STEEL rod off trying to pound it out... surely it IS that tight...

I literally have soaked the barrel and beat on the steel rod so much that its begun to "mushroom" on the end. Im pretty sure a wooden dowel would not survive.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    I literally have soaked the barrel and beat on the steel rod so much that its begun to "mushroom" on the end. Im pretty sure a wooden dowel would not survive.

No kidding....That stuck huh...... If you don't get it out, I would like to take a crack at it. I don't live too far from Freedom. Around Solsberry just off 45.

In the past, I had gotten a ramrod stuck in a 50 cal. muzzle loader with a large cleaning patch wrapped around it. Would not budge either direction. Had to take the nipple out and trickle some black powder in. Replaced the nipple and fired it out..... worked great and even retrieved the ramrod.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    In the past, I had gotten a ramrod stuck in a 50 cal. muzzle loader with a large cleaning patch wrapped around it. Would not budge either direction. Had to take the nipple out and trickle some black powder in. Replaced the nipple and fired it out..... worked great and even retrieved the ramrod.
    One of my first adventures in muzzeloading - I stuck a dry patch wrapped around a cleaning jag down a recently fired T/C inline barrel..... boy was that thing stuck. Didn't really know what to do (no INGO for me at that point :() after breaking the stock ramrod in the barrel trying to pull/beat it out. So I completey dissassembled it and soaked the barrelforever in water till the patch pounded out. Lesson learned for me, and real lucky it didn't ruin my gun.

Good luck with the mosin williamnewman1. Sounds like you're well past my limited experience.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    No, your first mistake is cleaning with rods / brushes /patches at all.

Unless you are shooting many hundreds of rounds in a setting, you are simply not building up enough of anything to justify such an agressive cleaning tool. A squirt of bore cleaner and a single pass with a bore snake likely would have been sufficient.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No, your first mistake is cleaning with rods / brushes /patches at all.

Unless you are shooting many hundreds of rounds in a setting, you are simply not building up enough of anything to justify such an agressive cleaning tool. A squirt of bore cleaner and a single pass with a bore snake likely would have been sufficient.

Never bought a Mosin huh? The bores are usually caked with cosmoline, the rifling is caked with all sorts of stuff- cosmoline ,rust, twigs you name it.

Top Bottom