So I'm a moron and now there are things stuck in my M44 barrel ....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    For the love of God man, get a worm.
    got one yesterday, but still can't get to the patch to use it
    we want pictures!!
    page 2 i think of this thread, ill get some more as thing progress, but they haven't
    No kidding....That stuck huh...... If you don't get it out, I would like to take a crack at it. I don't live too far from Freedom. Around Solsberry just off 45.

In the past, I had gotten a ramrod stuck in a 50 cal. muzzle loader with a large cleaning patch wrapped around it. Would not budge either direction. Had to take the nipple out and trickle some black powder in. Replaced the nipple and fired it out..... worked great and even retrieved the ramrod.
    im not beat yet, but before i throw it in the lake ill give you a crack at it
    No, your first mistake is cleaning with rods / brushes /patches at all.

Unless you are shooting many hundreds of rounds in a setting, you are simply not building up enough of anything to justify such an agressive cleaning tool. A squirt of bore cleaner and a single pass with a bore snake likely would have been sufficient.
    Never bought a Mosin huh? The bores are usually caked with cosmoline, the rifling is caked with all sorts of stuff- cosmoline ,rust, twigs you name it.
    what he said , it was a sewer pipe complete with all the goodies

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Wow. That definitely sucks. I think you might have luck with heat I don't have any experience like this but I have had luck breaking cylinders free using oil. Someone else mentioned this too. I really like the idea of soaking the area for a little while, run some power steering fluid or hydraulic oil down there and let it stand for a day or so. Maybe run a little more down there and let it stand. Then you might be able to get hold of something and twist away from the rifling. Maybe it screwed down on the swatches and tightened up? Also regarding the heat I would feel better trying to heat the stuff that is stuck and not the barrel. If you could get a metal rod down the tube and in contact with the patch you could heat the dowel and then heat the patch?

Keep the expert title and maybe add brave. At least you are sharing your boo boo. Most of look around to see who saw... :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I dont know if this is a good idea or not but if it is just the patches that are the problem how about pouring a little lighter fluid down the barrel and burn them out? Be sure to video tape it though just incase :)

I'm thinking it's bad when the resident gunsmith around these parts (who regularly puts cars back together that you would think would be totaled) says to put some lighter fluid in it, light it on fire and record it while you do it

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Never bought a Mosin huh? The bores are usually caked with cosmoline, the rifling is caked with all sorts of stuff- cosmoline ,rust, twigs you name it.

Own a 30's Tula 91/30, a late war Izhevsk 91/30 and a M38 carbine.

Pour some old gas down the barrel and run a bore snake down. Boil the smaller parts in an old pot that I keep just for cosmoline removal. Shoot the rifle.

Its a 2-4 MOA rifle meant for combat accuracy under field shooting conditions... Why are we treating it like its a bench rest gun with rods, solvents, and patches? They aren't meant to be plinkers or paper punchers. The sheer you would need to shoot an entire spam can at the least without cleaning before you saw any real world accuracy degradation.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    just because you like to abuse your rifle, doesn't mean everyone else does.

its an old surplus rifle. Its been through more **** in its life than anything you can buy, short of another milsurp rifle. Treat it well, clean it well, and it will last another 80 years.

or, shoot corrosive ammo through it, and occasionally pour some gas down the barrel.

Jeepster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the Sunday morning funnies, I'm actually picturing this entire thread as a comic strip! Thanks OP, this is priceless. Anxiously awaiting the outcome.

TNT5315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    Morgan county
    I would recommend a fifth of vodka, fill as much of the barrel as you can. After all it is a Russian rifle, then drink the rest of the bottle and you won't be so irritated anymore!!!
    No but seriously if you can get the arrow out go to your local hardware store and get a long drill bit like 1/8" and BY HAND spin the bit and slowly start to remove the patches.
    Goodluck!!!

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Something to consider.........Take a piece of brass or aluminum rod slightly smaller than the bore and have someone put it in a lathe and drill a hole for an 1/8" drill bit. Drill and tap a hole in the rod for a set screw to hold the drill bit in place. Slip it down the bore and carefully start drilling. You could go progressively bigger with the drill bits or attach a wood screw to the same rod and try to screw into the hole and pull out the obstruction. This method would prevent you from wrecking the rifling and if you break the drill bit you won't be in too much worse of shape than you are now.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    update :
    literally took a come-a-long to get the steel rod out , wrapped the rod up and put a rag around the bayonet lug and hooked a chain around that and pulled the rod free. Then heated the barrel with a torch and the patch broke down and the rod broken off in the muzzle end fell out easily enough. , so remnants of barrel corrosion, the patch and the carbon fiber arrow are coming out a little at a time. most of the arrow shaft is still in the barrel, but I have made progress ................. may heat the rest of the barrel as it seems to break down the carbon fiber arrow shaft to fibers and ash , not sure though as it seems that the heating process removes most of the bluing in the process

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the heat removes the oil which helps give the bluing its nice shiny color. Once your done oil it back up and it will go back to 'normal'.

Top Bottom