• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To all: I've posted this link before. If you want to see what is probably the best study on marriage ever, check out this link. You can order a DVD set of it and it's about 8-10 hours. It's pricey but well worth it.
    Love and Respect Ministries

To the op: if I were a gambling man, I'd say your girlfriend views your mom as competition for your love and attention.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Give them all to her at once with a do not open until on each one

trust me, I could make a guy suffer for doing this..."You didn't really put any thought into these. You just grabbed whatever didn't you?" Nope, the answer is a service to mail you the cards about a week before hand so you can then deliver them to her...yep

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I wish some INGO ladies would jump in on this one.
    Meh, it's just another day to spend money out of a fund better used for Starbucks.
    This year was the first time in probably...oh, I dunno...maybe close to 20 years now that I got a card from Mr.Jet. Which was nice, but I felt bad (for about three seconds) because I didn't have the foresight to reciprocate. I got MiniJet a gianormous coffee mug with a sock monkey in it though...not really because of Valentine's Day - she just likes sock monkeys and didn't have a gianormous mug (we're kind of coffee drinkers if you hadn't clued in on that).

As for the OP, it's good that this happened.
    NOW, they each know what the other expects in a given situation. Think of it as "free pre-marital counseling". This is why dating is SO important before jumping of the pier into the deep. Little things become bigger things. Bigger things end you. Good luck figuring out what's important to the both of you and coming to some sort of understanding and agreement.

I've actually been kicking this idea around for a few weeks now. Going to the store and buying enough birthday, anniversary, and vd cards for the next 5 years. That way I don't have to waste a trip to walmart for each day. Would that make me an insensitive jerk?
    I have a kitchen drawer full of random cards, just for this purpose. No Valentines, though. Mostly birthday, "get well", sympathy, and thank yous. There's a few other oddballs in there, blank ones, congrats, "thinking of you", stuff like that.
    In NO way does that make you insensitive. It makes you a GENIUS (said the one who did it first :-P ).
    P.S. Also, you need to have a roll of little pre-sticky address labels in there next to a sheet of stamps. Your welcome. ;)

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Meh, it's just another day to spend money out of a fund better used for Starbucks....

I have a kitchen drawer full of random cards, just for this purpose. No Valentines, though. Mostly birthday, "get well", sympathy, and thank yous. There's a few other oddballs in there, blank ones, congrats, "thinking of you", stuff like that....

+1 to all this, especially the Starbucks fund! :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Meh, it's just another day to spend money out of a fund better used for Starbucks.
    This year was the first time in probably...oh, I dunno...maybe close to 20 years now that I got a card from Mr.Jet. Which was nice, but I felt bad (for about three seconds) because I didn't have the foresight to reciprocate. I got MiniJet a gianormous coffee mug with a sock monkey in it though...not really because of Valentine's Day - she just likes sock monkeys and didn't have a gianormous mug (we're kind of coffee drinkers if you hadn't clued in on that).

As for the OP, it's good that this happened.
    NOW, they each know what the other expects in a given situation. Think of it as "free pre-marital counseling". This is why dating is SO important before jumping of the pier into the deep. Little things become bigger things. Bigger things end you. Good luck figuring out what's important to the both of you and coming to some sort of understanding and agreement.

I have a kitchen drawer full of random cards, just for this purpose. No Valentines, though. Mostly birthday, "get well", sympathy, and thank yous. There's a few other oddballs in there, blank ones, congrats, "thinking of you", stuff like that.
    In NO way does that make you insensitive. It makes you a GENIUS (said the one who did it first :-P ).
    P.S. Also, you need to have a roll of little pre-sticky address labels in there next to a sheet of stamps. Your welcome. ;)

dont feel bad. I never get crap other than on christmas usualy and I dont even care. getting gifts for manufactured holidays are not important to me. I like to buy myself gifts though :D :ar15:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    dont feel bad. I never get crap other than on christmas usualy and I dont even care. getting gifts for manufactured holidays are not important to me. I like to buy myself gifts though :D :ar15:

Seriously, we don't really "do up" birthdays, Valentines, or even Christmas so much (not like the masses do). We do kind of pay attention to our Anniversary though.
    Not so much "gift giving" as "prank playing". It's on April Fool's day, sooo...that's just how we roll.
    Next year is our 25th, though, and I think we're actually going to save up for a trip. It was a weird conversation we had about it. You people might not understand it. So I'm not even going to try. :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Seriously, we don't really "do up" birthdays, Valentines, or even Christmas so much (not like the masses do). We do kind of pay attention to our Anniversary though.
    Not so much "gift giving" as "prank playing". It's on April Fool's day, sooo...that's just how we roll.
    Next year is our 25th, though, and I think we're actually going to save up for a trip. It was a weird conversation we had about it. You people might not understand it. So I'm not even going to try. :D

WOW! 25 years congrats!!! I imagine after being together that long you could think up some pretty fun things, lol.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    WOW! 25 years congrats!!! I imagine after being together that long you could think up some pretty fun things, lol.

Gotta get past 24 first! :D But thanks in advance.
    And really, I haven't had to hone the pranks much... he falls for the same ones repeatedly. A year is a lot of time to 'forget' in-between. ;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    "I'm really sorry you had to spend Valentine's Day the way you did. I missed you and wish we were together. When you get your parents squared away and come home, let's do something fun."

This is how you maintain a successful marriage or any relationship for that matter.

I hope everyone can see the difference between this and what the OPs G/F said.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    So last week my mother fell down on some ice and broke her left patella (knee cap) in 2 pieces. Both my mother and father are elderly so I traveled to Chicago to help them out. She has to have surgery. So I was talking to my GF yesterday and totaly spaced out and forgot it was Valentines Day. I check my email today and there is a message from her saying how dissapointed she is that I forgot. I feel really bad about forgetting and expressed my apologizes to her but she is still upset, but at least, not yelling made. I know I forgot but man, I would think I could get a pass at this one because of the situation with my mother..Sucks.. Gonna have to make it up to her when I get back.

valentine's day is a stupid hallmark holiday. as a recovering catholic, the actual "feast' it's so low down the ladder not even the clergy give a ****. :laugh:

the fact that she is willing to give you grief about forgetting a stupid card because of a family emergency says a great deal about her. Time to move on to greener pastures, my friend.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    trust me, I could make a guy suffer for doing this..."You didn't really put any thought into these. You just grabbed whatever didn't you?" Nope, the answer is a service to mail you the cards about a week before hand so you can then deliver them to her...yep

My response? You won't know for sure for another five years, so HA!

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Well, for the past six years I have bought my wife a handgun for Valentine's. This year it was a Ruger 22/45. "She" has a nice collection of handguns started :D! We shoot thousands of rounds of 22's, so it is a good opportunity to buy a gun when guns aren't normally "sought after". Funny to see and hear people's reactions to her valentine's gift. We will celebrate 28 years this year, so something must be going right.
    To the OP, communication is the key to a long successful relationship. Before you dump her, maybe ask her why it sounded like she cared more about herself than your mom's situation. You evidently have invested time in this relationship, her answer will give you more clues on the validity of keeping her or leaving now for the hunt for mrs right. Just my :twocents:.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well, for the past six years I have bought my wife a handgun for Valentine's. This year it was a Ruger 22/45. "She" has a nice collection of handguns started :D! We shoot thousands of rounds of 22's, so it is a good opportunity to buy a gun when guns aren't normally "sought after". Funny to see and hear people's reactions to her valentine's gift. We will celebrate 28 years this year, so something must be going right.
    To the OP, communication is the key to a long successful relationship. Before you dump her, maybe ask her why it sounded like she cared more about herself than your mom's situation. You evidently have invested time in this relationship, her answer will give you more clues on the validity of keeping her or leaving now for the hunt for mrs right. Just my :twocents:.

I don't know about that whole communication thing...

Seems like every argument is started by something I say. So, by my logic, we'd never get in a fight if I never said anything.

Top Bottom