• ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Get a job, ya bum!

This from someone who only just got her NIMS Level I's for CNC Milling and CNC Lathe (Do those expire?) and has at least three more semesters to go.

I went out and got a job with my BA. I went from studying about labor relations and how to babysit adults in the workplace to running a CNC mill (a variety of different mills) and lathe everyday. I did have the IVY Tech Machine Tool (CNC Programming) program in my background so it didn't take much studying to get back into it. Wouldn't mind working my way up and getting into a management role in a machine shop some day.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    The Masters degree is 'the new Bachelors', meaning 'just' having a Bachelors degree gets you nothing any more, except for your own satisfaction. The college 'grind mills' have ground out so many people with degrees in this or that, that having a basic, 4 year degree is now virtually meaningless.

I still take classes, but only because I enjoy doing so, not that I'm in the least 'hoping' it'd help further my career. Networking has done way more good than the 'sheepskin', which now sets in a manila envelope in the very bottom of a filing cabinet.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking to save myself some time and money by just studying on my own and taking the NIMS exams associated with MTTC 101, 102, & 103 and then paying the $50 ea. for those course credits. In about a month, I'll start taking the MTTC 208 CNC Programming I course, but between now and then, I'm already writing a G code compiler in Bash using my MS in CS. I'm gonna be a total nightmare to whoever's teaching 208 at Terre Haute this summer.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hey, Shadow, you walked right past me today, but I didn't know which one you were. (I led the students out and then sat in the front row of faculty right near the stage.) We should have flashed INGO swag.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I tend to agree with whomever said that a degree with a skill attached is best. I always thought that education was time well spent, as well as, more training. I don't know about IT, but I would set my sights on a degree in engineering in the specific field or business management. If possible, you don't want to always be the one being told what to do or how to do it. You may not realize it, but that piece of paper might pay off in ways you may not personally know about. Sometimes, if you aren't a person with connections, i.e. frat brother, bosses son-in-law, etc., that degree might get your foot in the door or that better job. If you can swing it financially, I'd say keep working and working for that higher degree. It shows that you are a self-starter and can stick with something for the long haul, if nothing else.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Hey, Shadow, you walked right past me today, but I didn't know which one you were. (I led the students out and then sat in the front row of faculty right near the stage.) We should have flashed INGO swag.
    School of Business, 4th row from the front, 4th from the right... (not that you can just bring up your insta-photographic memory or anything.. Goatee and glasses if that helps..) It was a pretty nice ceremony... until what sounded like a swap meet in the bleachers started picking up volume... I wanted to start drop-kicking every single person that was yelling people's names during the commencement speeches...

Top Bottom