• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    So, in '93, I decided to take a year off after high school to get a job and put a little cash in my pocket before heading off to college... yeah, we all know how well that worked out. 21 years later, I FINALLY got an Associate's Degree in CINT. So, do I just stick with the associate's and make a "decent living", or do I get a job and continue on for my bachelor's (while getting as many certifications as I can..) at night school/online?

btw, if anyone knows of someone hiring around NWI, let me know...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    In the IT world, the only thing the degree is useful for is for getting you by H.R. Almost all of the actual worker drones and bosses don't care about a degree, they only care about what you know and/or how long you've known it. If you can bypass H.R. by making connections to the people actually doing the hiring, then I wouldn't bother with the bachelor's, unless the classes offer something that you want to learn, of course.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I am marching on Saturday for Ivy Tech... and thank you..

as for the bachelors, i'd probably be focusing on Java, C+ stuff... programming in and of itself doesn't interest me a ton, but I know that that's where the money is.. so, I want to make myself indispensable.. I also enjoy networking (but truly DESPISE Cisco)... there's something calming about running cat5e and routing the networks... yeah, I'm a little weird.. I know it..

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I can tell you from my perspective (Software Engineer), we'd rather have people with Certifications that know what they're doing over a degree any day.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My 4 year degree thus far has not gotten me anything. My lifetime interest in EMS, caving, and electronics has in one form or another gotten me every job I have ever done, including the business I owned for 12 years and 7 years as a networks technician.

I don't doubt at some point a bachelors may come to be useful, but it hasn't happened yet 15 years after I got it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Congratulations!

That's all I have to say. I know nothing about your filed, but I wish you well in your further pursuits.

I have the most useless BA known to man- Prelaw with a History minor. That qualified me to do exactly one (1) thing, go back to school....so I sold cars for 3 years.

nate724

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bourbon
    I graduated with an IT degree and like the above post, just gets u past HR. Unfortunately most companies want you to have the degree now. I've seen a lot of guys get turned away, they had a lot of experience but no piece of paper.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    I will tell you I have been in IT for almost 30 years. The certs were a big deal, but a degree is required for fortune 500 companies especially if you want to move up.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I teach fully online at a state college under the University System of Georgia. Only a few of our IT people have an Associate degree. In fact the head of our IT division received his AA in Graphic Art last Spring semester. When faculty complained to our Ex-president about not having a raise in 6 years and the IT people getting a COL raise every year, his reply was "out of work faculty are lined up to take your job. Good IT techs are worth their weight in gold."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When faculty complained to our Ex-president about not having a raise in 6 years and the IT people getting a COL raise every year, his reply was "out of work faculty are lined up to take your job. Good IT techs are worth their weight in gold."

That's pretty freaking cold, man. If you're doing your job, you deserve regular raises regardless of how easy it is to replace you.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    You noticed I said ex-president.. But we have a great bunch of IT people and the only time one leaves, it's for a better job.
    Administration is the weakest link. They fall all over each other inventing extra work for faculty and IT so they (Admin) can justify their jobs. It's that way at most colleges.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's pretty freaking cold, man. If you're doing your job, you deserve regular raises regardless of how easy it is to replace you.

...one "deserves" to make what one agreed to work for and any pay rate changes should be according to what the market will bear....but I digress.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    BAhahahaha!

When I worked in higher ed, my last several years where:
    - no raise
    - 0.5% raise
    - 1.5% raise
    - flat $65 raise (not per check. for the YEAR)

I got out of that hot mess. Higher Ed has its perks, but competitive pay is NOT one of them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ...one "deserves" to make what one agreed to work for and any pay rate changes should be according to what the market will bear....but I digress.

If the cost of living increases and the value of your purchasing dollar drops over time, then I'd argue that while the dollar amount is the same, you're actually getting paid less than what you agreed to work for. However, your point is valid. You should negotiate those terms at the time that you agree to accept the job. That said, it doesn't make the employer any less of a d-bag for denying employees regular merit and incentive raises (and especially if other employees are given them). We're not serfs.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    ...If you're doing your job, you deserve regular raises regardless of how easy it is to replace you.

What a cute sentiment. I wonder how many large company managers agree with it.

We're not serfs.

Indeed. Indiana is an At-Will employment state. Unless you have a contractual agreement, you are free to see seek employment elsewhere at any time.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Shadow, I wish you the best in your future endeavors. JMO, updated certification in your respective field or area will open up more opportunities than a BA or BS that starts becoming obsolete the day after you receive it. I agree that it will get you past HR, but knowledge of the latest technology will get you the job and help you keep it..
    When I received my BS in graphic art, I was proficient in Photoshop 2.5 and Illustrator 2.0. LOL When I received my M.F.A in studio art, digital camera prices started at $20,000. for a 2MP body. My PhD in Art History was exactly that history, but that was a minimum requirement for my first teaching job. My teaching promotions were based more on research and certification than teaching.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I do agree that many jobs shouldn't need a Bachelor's if the knowledge, experience, and willingness are present. I've seen management in orthopaedics with a degree and experience that maybe should have gotten them a day shift manager position at Taco Bell. He didn't last long and the company lost a handful of very good machinists and grinders while he was trying to figure out what his job duties included.

I'm filing this away for the day I end up using my degree in a job (Human Resource Management). It'll be a nice addition to the crushing dreams, hopes, and souls toolbox.

Top Bottom