• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    So, I got stopped on the IN toll road today for doing "something" over 70. As I was getting up to speed on the toll road, a Toyota 4 runner with Ill plates passed me doing at least 80. As the Toyota was passing me (both headed east) we passed a trooper headed west.

Long boring story short, I got a warning, as I think the trooper zapped the Toyota and stopped me. My warning doesn't have a vehicle speed listed for my car so I don't know what the trooper thought I was doing. When asked by the trooper how fast I was going I let him know about 70 as I was getting ready to set my cruise control. When I asked the trooper if he may have gotten the Toyota, he let me know that he'd radioed ahead about them. They were long gone by the time he turned around and pulled me over.

As will always be the case I was 100% cooperative and courteous with the trooper -hands at 10 & 2 as he approached, seatbelt on, etc. Quick to get my license and registration to him when asked. These folks have extremely dangerous jobs, I am glad they're on my side. I have family both active and retired on the job.

My decision to be made was if I should let him know I had my LTCH and had 3 pistols in the car (one loaded and two in my range bag with stuff in the back seat)? I always carry but today I was going to stop by Midwest Gun Range in Elkhart to test out some new reloads in the Glocks. The trooper was very courteous, but didn't ask about weapons and I'll have to admit I didn't tell. The whole thing was wrapped up in about 5 min. with both of us on our respective ways.

I've often wondered what I would do if and when I got stopped. Thanks to previous post read on this site, I had at least thought about the issue and what I might do to react approprately. Had he asked, I would have informed him about the 3 pistols in the car. Since he didn’t ask, I didn’t think I had a responsibility to offer the information to him.

Just a strange way to start Friday the 13[SUP]th[/SUP]. Wildcatfan.62​

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My personal opinion: don't ask, don't tell. If he didn't ask if you have any weapons in the car then you don't need to tell him. If he did ask, then of course be honest with him and also inform him that you have your permit. It really depends on the officer as to how they react. I have been pulled over twice on my motorcycle not carrying a firearm, but had a pocket knife on me. One time the officer reached in my pocket and took it "for his safety" and the second time a different officer said he expected all guys to carry a pocket knife and didn't think twice about it.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Um, don't tell. I was t-boned a month ago. I called the police to the scene of the accident. I never even thought about telling them I was carrying. That fact is irrelevant to the issue at hand. Law doesn't force me to tell, so I don't.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Just asked my grandpa(retired cop) about this and this is his(summarized) response:

If it's a routine situation (meaning stops for speeding and the like), then you'll be fine if you don't inform the officer. If the situation has you on edge or you think it may have the officer a little edgy, inform the officer.

He then added that you should always be courteous and follow the officer's directions in a timely manner, but I should think that's more obvious.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    Be courteous and polite, follow directions, but offer nothing not requested or required! My LTCH and firearm and knife have nothing to do with a traffic infraction!

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I am still up in the air about this myself. I am eager to read what some others have to say.

Wait till you read where an officer took things to far when someone openly offered information they shouldn't have.

If they don't ask, I don't offer information freely which has nothing to do with the interaction at hand.

If they DO ask, I will always be honest. "I have a permit to carry and Yes sir, I do have weapons in the car or on me". Or simply a "yes, legally"

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Dont be a wuss! Next time tell the copper that yours is BIGGER than his! :bat:
    So, I got stopped on the IN toll road today for doing "something" over 70. As I was getting up to speed on the toll road, a Toyota 4 runner with Ill plates passed me doing at least 80. As the Toyota was passing me (both headed east) we passed a trooper headed west.

Long boring story short, I got a warning, as I think the trooper zapped the Toyota and stopped me. My warning doesn't have a vehicle speed listed for my car so I don't know what the trooper thought I was doing. When asked by the trooper how fast I was going I let him know about 70 as I was getting ready to set my cruise control. When I asked the trooper if he may have gotten the Toyota, he let me know that he'd radioed ahead about them. They were long gone by the time he turned around and pulled me over.

As will always be the case I was 100% cooperative and courteous with the trooper -hands at 10 & 2 as he approached, seatbelt on, etc. Quick to get my license and registration to him when asked. These folks have extremely dangerous jobs, I am glad they're on my side. I have family both active and retired on the job.

My decision to be made was if I should let him know I had my LTCH and had 3 pistols in the car (one loaded and two in my range bag with stuff in the back seat)? I always carry but today I was going to stop by Midwest Gun Range in Elkhart to test out some new reloads in the Glocks. The trooper was very courteous, but didn't ask about weapons and I'll have to admit I didn't tell. The whole thing was wrapped up in about 5 min. with both of us on our respective ways.

I've often wondered what I would do if and when I got stopped. Thanks to previous post read on this site, I had at least thought about the issue and what I might do to react approprately. Had he asked, I would have informed him about the 3 pistols in the car. Since he didn’t ask, I didn’t think I had a responsibility to offer the information to him.

Just a strange way to start Friday the 13[SUP]th[/SUP]. Wildcatfan.62​

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I concur with the 'don't ask don't tell' approach! I've been stopped a 'few' times while CC'ing...hands at 10 & 2, seatbelt on, I keep my registration in a visor pouch, had my DL in my hand, etc...and never once did I mention that I had a handgun on/with me. Having several friends who are LEO's...and having been a reserve myself...I just let the LEO do his/her job safely! My point is to always make the stop an 'easy one' (meaning, 'uncomplicated') and go on! Easy stops are often quick stops...and uncomplicated means non-threatening as well!

I say 'wise choice'!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My personal opinion: don't ask, don't tell. If he didn't ask if you have any weapons in the car then you don't need to tell him. If he did ask, then of course be honest with him and also inform him that you have your permit. It really depends on the officer as to how they react. I have been pulled over twice on my motorcycle not carrying a firearm, but had a pocket knife on me. One time the officer reached in my pocket and took it "for his safety" and the second time a different officer said he expected all guys to carry a pocket knife and didn't think twice about it.
    They can ask what sex position I like best but I don't have to answer any of their questions. ANY of their questions. Give me a ticket. I'll take that over a POSSIBLE misunderstanding or unsafe monkey gun fingering any day! If I was a big enough Boy to speed then I'm a big enough boy to pay the fine. What I've got on my person or in my car is no ones damn buiznatch!

and as to people talking about always being honest with the cops, yes I agree NEVER LIE to a cop. But in the same breath, NEVER answer their questions either. Keeping your mouth shut is not lying. It's called your RIGHT! And he has to protect that just as much as he has to enforce locking up a murderer.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Not sure I would allow anyone to reach into my pocket for anything if I was not under arrest. Traffic stop....no warrants, write me and move along.

A pocket knife.....really.....:dunno:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have asked LEO this question and the response was that by law I did not have to inform them but the officers I talked to said they would prefer to be notified. It was a group of 4 county officers at the gun show at Valpo (one of which was a female officer). I am not sure that the LEO wants to prolong the traffic stop any longer than we want it to last. Standing on the side of the road is not the safest place to be.

If I have anything to hide do you really think I would tell the officer that I have a gun. By telling him maybe this would set the tone of our meeting. You know what they say about first impressions.

I haven't had to face what my decision would be if I was in the position to tell or not to tell. I have heard that some people felt they were given a break and only received a warning instead of a speeding ticket when they informed.

I have also heard of the stories where the officer took the gun and called it in to see if it was stolen and upon returning it he put it on the backseat unloaded and told the driver not to load it until he was gone.

Another guy was pulled over by a Trooper and handed over his DL and LTCH and the trooper asked for the gun. The driver asked if he was being arrested and the trooper said no. The driver said the gun was safer in the holster and he would not hand it over unless he was being placed under arrest. The driver never gave up his weapon. The Trooper did give him a big fat speeding ticket.

The driver contacted the Troopers boss to let him know that the trooper needs to be educated. The driver is a retired LEO

My plan is to hear both sides (my INGO homies and LEO) before making my final decision.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I like most of the cops I've come into contact to. Very few times have I felt they overstepped their bounds.

I also like many, if not most of the people I come into contact to. I just like people as a general rule of thumb.

It's still none of ANY of their business what I'm carrying.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have asked LEO this question and the response was that by law I did not have to inform them but the officers I talked to said they would prefer to be notified. It was a group of 4 county officers at the gun show at Valpo (one of which was a female officer). I am not sure that the LEO wants to prolong the traffic stop any longer than we want it to last. Standing on the side of the road is not the safest place to be.

If I have anything to hide do you really think I would tell the officer that I have a gun. By telling him maybe this would set the tone of our meeting. You know what they say about first impressions.

I haven't had to face what my decision would be if I was in the position to tell or not to tell. I have heard that some people felt they were given a break and only received a warning instead of a speeding ticket when they informed.

I have also heard of the stories where the officer took the gun and called it in to see if it was stolen and upon returning it he put it on the backseat unloaded and told the driver not to load it until he was gone.

Another guy was pulled over by a Trooper and handed over his DL and LTCH and the trooper asked for the gun. The driver asked if he was being arrested and the trooper said no. The driver said the gun was safer in the holster and he would not hand it over unless he was being placed under arrest. The driver never gave up his weapon. The Trooper did give him a big fat speeding ticket.

The driver contacted the Troopers boss to let him know that the trooper needs to be educated. The driver is a retired LEO

My plan is to hear both sides (my INGO homies and LEO) before making my final decision.

its their job job as the professional representative of the state to 'set the tone'. If they are an instant dick (yes there are many who are and need anger management or new jobs) then my mouth is closed and that's it. If they seem friendly then I will respond in kind but still not answer questions that help him prosecute (or investigate) (or give him probable cause to look in my car) me in any way.
    Let's be honest, they aren't the same as your local beautician. If a cop is chatting you up on a stop and fitting questions in there then he is investigating! Not trying to be your friend.
    i prefer to keep it what it is (a business transaction) and be on my way.
    i choose to obey the traffic laws as beat I can and haven't been pulled over in more years than I can remember. But my reaction would be the same even if I was stopped walking down the sidewalk. Now if I KNOW the officer then sure I'll talk to him or her. Nothing against them. It's business. And my business as a law abiding citizen is to go home safe everyday.
    a public servants job (any public servant), doesn't take priority over a single one of my rights. I'm no threat and must be treated with respect. I respect them by pulling over and handing over my info that shows I'm legal.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If they don't ask, I don't offer information freely which has nothing to do with the interaction at hand.

If they DO ask, I will always be honest.

This has always been my policy, as well. On one occasion I did inform without being asked; the gun was in the glovebox where it would have been seen when I went to retrieve my registration (this falls under "information which has to do with the interaction at hand"). Never had my gun taken from me, been asked to exit the vehicle, been proned out, had a Glock screwed into my ear, etc. Officer demeanor has ranged from curt but professional to downright chatty, and a couple of them actually thanked me for letting them know I was armed.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Having a gun with you at a stop has nothing to do with the stop. I'll always will be respectful and not lie to a officer. So far none who have ever pulled me over have ever asked if I had a gun, honestly don't even see why any of them would unless they are going to arrest you. If any ask me at a stop if I have a gun..."I have nothing illegal officer, am I free to go?" They can ask it as many times as they like but thats my story......sorry, no fishing without a license officer.

Top Bottom