• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Explicitly admitted by a TV news producer friend. He told a great story from the 80’s in another state, the weatherman predicted a 2 inch snow but they got 10 inches of snow, the phones blew up with angry viewers complaining and calling the weatherman an idiot. At a later point, the weatherman expected a 2 inch snow but predicted a 10 inch snow, they got the 2 inches of snow. Not a single complaint call and ratings were up for the week.

Using that story as the model I told an Indy news producer that I met, that I believed the media exaggerated the forecasts to get ratings, I expected denials, nope, he laughed and said of course.

Over the years of observation I cannot remember when we got more snow than predicted, maybe close, usually less, sometimes significantly less…
    Meh. just a few years ago, maybe 2015, they said we would get a dusting. A couple inches later got a call from the schools saying get in, school is releasing early.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    These “experts” work with the same data used by “scientist” to predict the end of civilization in two decades from global cooling (1970’s) global warming (2000’s) climate change (can’t get it right so go with this).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I looked at three different weather sources yesterday. One is calling for 11-17", another 8-12" and a third 0.10". I'd say the aggregate of those three will probably cover what happens. Sheesh. I'll just wait and see.

Though I may get my shovel out from my storage barn and stick it in the garage...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Keep in mind, things like the Euro and GFS are 'models' not forecasts. They represent a possible outcome based on the data they are fed. The closer the storm gets, the better the data they have to work with.

Late last week the models were showing 30-40 inches. They have since cut that almost in half. Later today they'll get data from weather balloons with actual temp and wind readings then we'll see what's what.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Friday... They called for a dusting and we got 3 inches. I think it even caught the street departments off guard.

Meh. just a few years ago, maybe 2015, they said we would get a dusting. A couple inches later got a call from the schools saying get in, school is releasing early.

So are you saying they always get it right? Are you saying they do not embellish for gain? Are you thinking they turn every dusting into snowmageden?

Last edited:

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    So are you saying they always get it right? Are you saying they do not embellish for gain?
    I'm saying they are almost always wrong. I would agree that they do embellish for gain but even sometimes that get that wrong.

I for one am hoping we get everything and more than what they are calling for. I'm just hoping we don't get ice. I do have the generator ready though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Keep in mind, things like the Euro and GFS are 'models' not forecasts. They represent a possible outcome based on the data they are fed. The closer the storm gets, the better the data they have to work with.

Late last week the models were showing 30-40 inches. They have since cut that almost in half. Later today they'll get data from weather balloons with actual temp and wind readings then we'll see what's what.
    And the "weathermen" give us those model predictions as forecasts.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The weather channel ap that is on every smart phone in someone's possession.
    These are huge advertising sites with a bit of weather guessing thrown in.
    Every click is more money.
    Not mine. Weather Underground here. Less obnoxious adds and lets me see the conditions from my weather station instead of the airport 10 miles away.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Not mine. Weather Underground here. Less obnoxious adds and lets me see the conditions from my weather station instead of the airport 10 miles away.

+1 for Wunderground. Weather forecasting is always an educated guess, but theirs seems more "educated" than many of the others.

Not looking forward to Thursday. They shut down school here for a dusting, and our street gets very dangerous after an inch. Will be interesting (bad) to see what happens with a real snowfall.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In Iceland the Navy did the weather. When we were closing the Rockville radar site I’d always bet against their forecast. It worked well, they were usually wrong.

OH!! Another Military BS story for that thread!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom