• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    My next purchase will most likely be what I would consider a sniper style rifle. These models come to mind.

Savage 110 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Savage 10 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Armalite AR 30 AR-30
    Armalite AR 50 AR-50

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Does anyone have another recommendation to add to the list?

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua MAG, 308 Win seem to be the common caliber types. Do any of these stand out as a better bullet compared to the others?

Of course the 50 cal would be cool as hell to have but compared to the other rifles is it as practical as it is cool?

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I personal have a Remington 700, but I like the Savage 10 BA. All rifles you have list will work as a "sniper rifle". What while make them or break them is the glass you put on top.

There is a long list of sub MOA rifle makers these days. The question is what is the distance you will be shooting the rifle. 308 is a great caliber for most applications, but 338 Laupa and 300 Win Mag will give you more distance.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    My buddy got a savage in 7mm. It was so inexpensive and its sub MOA with good ammo. As a strict proponent of .308 and .300 winmag I was very impressed with the 7mm. What you need to keep in mind is that .300 winmag will wear down your barrel faster, beat your shoulder up, and cost you a fortune compared to .308. If you plan to shoot a lot or you aren't an experiences distance shooter then you probably want the .308. Personally, I prefer the Remington 700.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just get ya a Model 10 FCP HS, or other heavy barrel .308 Savage. An save all the money you would have spent on those really expensive rifles and get a bunch of ammo and a real nice piece of glass.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a Win 70 in 7mm Rem Mag for distance, because I'm cheap. That AR30 in .338 looks pretty good at the price, though. Man, you're getting me started again... I have to keep reminding myself, there's hardly anywhere around here you can see far enough to need that.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My next purchase will most likely be what I would consider a sniper style rifle. These models come to mind.

Savage 110 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Savage 10 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Armalite AR 30 AR-30
    Armalite AR 50 AR-50

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Does anyone have another recommendation to add to the list?

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua MAG, 308 Win seem to be the common caliber types. Do any of these stand out as a better bullet compared to the others?

Of course the 50 cal would be cool as hell to have but compared to the other rifles is it as practical as it is cool?
    What EXACTLY do you want the rifle to do. Capabilities, Range, Impact energy?

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    I've shot my brothers 700 which is 300win mag and loved it, but it is not cheap...
    the same goes for 338 lapua, the ammo is not cheap (5-6 dollars a round for match ammo)
    Personally, I would stick to 308, it's got the distance and is much cheaper than any of the others.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm also more of a Remington fan. I can't stand the double trigger crap on the Savage.
    As far as caliber, 308 is great as long as your not shooting really great distances.

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    308 is the most available round if you are a non reloader. If you reload I would suggest a .260

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    A friend of mine has a Savage 10. He's let me shoot it a few times..., very impressive. My question to you is this..., assuming you get one of these puppies, where do you plan on shooting it? I don't know of any mile-long shooting ranges around here.

I assume you'd do it on private land, and if so, PM me so I can show up too. Buddies for life!

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    Does any one have experience with Cheytac rifles? They make the more common calibers like 308, 300 win mag, 338 lapua, and so on but they also make a 408 rifle.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    A friend of mine has a Savage 10. He's let me shoot it a few times..., very impressive. My question to you is this..., assuming you get one of these puppies, where do you plan on shooting it? I don't know of any mile-long shooting ranges around here.

I assume you'd do it on private land, and if so, PM me so I can show up too. Buddies for life!

There's a shooting range up near fort wayne that you can shoot up to 1000 yards

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I forgot to mention that buying a American made rifle is important to me. I also like the looks of the Armalites better than the Savage. I also look at some info on Barrett but not too in depth.

There's a shooting range up near fort wayne that you can shoot up to 1000 yards

Where? I am 45 minutes from there and would want to check it out.

What EXACTLY do you want the rifle to do. Capabilities, Range, Impact energy?

I basically would want it for the long distance shots if I were to need to make any. I would want accuracy and want to knock down or stop my target in the first shot.

I am looking to have a rifle for every situation and long range would be next to prepare for.

Where to shoot it is my issue and why I do not have one now. I am around 2 hours from Camp Perry and I think they have a longer range. The the other guy mentioned a 1000 yarder near Ft Wayne which is close also.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a rem 700 in .270 when I lived down south. It was just a "deer rifle" lol. Anyway with a pentax 3-9x50 i could shoot moa first time out with it. Bought the rifle, scope, and 75 rounds of ammo for $300 bucks from a guy on a forum down there. Moral of the story: Common rifles in common calibers can shoot long distances accurately and can be found at a good price.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I prefer Savage bolt action rifles over any other brand when it comes to new and straight out of te box. They are the most accurate out of the box than any other rifle. As for the round, I don't know your financial situation, but unless you're wanting to spend $5-6 per round, I'd go with a .308 Win. You can easily reach 1,000 yards with a .308. It's much cheaper and easier to find.

All that being said, choose whatever you want more. It's your money... spend it on what YOU want. What we want doesn't matter...

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I forgot to mention that buying a American made rifle is important to me. I also like the looks of the Armalites better than the Savage. I also look at some info on Barrett but not too in depth.

Where? I am 45 minutes from there and would want to check it out.

I basically would want it for the long distance shots if I were to need to make any. I would want accuracy and want to knock down or stop my target in the first shot.

I am looking to have a rifle for every situation and long range would be next to prepare for.

Where to shoot it is my issue and why I do not have one now. I am around 2 hours from Camp Perry and I think they have a longer range. The the other guy mentioned a 1000 yarder near Ft Wayne which is close also.
    Definition of long range?

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    if your not afraid of the price tag I would say Sako TRG 300 winmag

Sako_TRG-42.jpg

I was able to shoot one when I worked at Albro's in Beech Grove..... FINE piece of hardware.....

Sako TRG-42 .300 Win Mag COMPLETE : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Top Bottom