• J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    if your not afraid of the price tag I would say Sako TRG 300 winmag

Sako_TRG-42.jpg

I was able to shoot one when I worked at Albro's in Beech Grove..... FINE piece of hardware.....

Sako TRG-42 .300 Win Mag COMPLETE : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com
    More than I would like to spend but something worth checking out.

Definition of long range?

In regards to the range or the guns potential?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    This will go on forever, and run the gamut of rifles ever made, unless you cut to the chase. The 'knock down my target' stuff isn't helping you or us.

At what ranges will you regularly shoot this rifle? Are you going to reload? What would you like to shoot with the thing? How much can you spend, all up...rifle, optics, mounts, sling, bipod if any, etc?

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    My next purchase will most likely be what I would consider a sniper style rifle. These models come to mind.

Savage 110 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Savage 10 BA Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
    Armalite AR 30 AR-30
    Armalite AR 50 AR-50

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Does anyone have another recommendation to add to the list?

300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua MAG, 308 Win seem to be the common caliber types. Do any of these stand out as a better bullet compared to the others?

Of course the 50 cal would be cool as hell to have but compared to the other rifles is it as practical as it is cool?
    Ok the term sniper rifle is used incorrectly allot. Its the man that makes the rifle not the rifle the man. If you where to buy a highly accurate rifle. My suggestion is cheaper than everything and can reach out to 1000 yards also. Wait for it......Mosin nagant with PU sniper scope and mount. If you want something new. Go with a remington 700 in 7.62x51. (AKA 308. they arent the same but one will work for the other I think.) If you want to throw allot of money at it get a M1A and put a good scope on it. Another suggestion coming from the former soviet union is a SKS with a scope 500 yard range. Hope this helps.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    stick with a 308...it's an accurate 1000 yard gun, that lasts longer than the 300 and is cheaper than any of the others mentioned.......to get beyond 1,000 yards, be realistic....you're not going to have to/get the opportunity very often if at all...most shots are within 800 meters or less and in Indiana it's unlikely you will need to shoot even that far.....an accurate 1000 yard gun is all you really need.....the 408 is an excellent gun which runs a STRONG competition against the 50, and the 338 with proper ammo will still penetrate body armor at over 1500 yards....but again, you're not going to have to shoot anything at that range

yes there is a 1000 yard range somewhere up north, but I'm not positive where...they hold competitions there but i've not been to it yet......regardless of caliber you choose, bolt action will be the most accurate and I personally prefer the Remington 700 action, so does the military

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I'm really just getting started in the bolt gun club. I've got 2. Browning Abolt in 300 WSM and a Thompson Center in 243 Win. Both are great guns and I'm still learning to shoot them accurately. Rihgt now for me 200 yards is a long shot, but for experienced "long range shooters" 200 is a chipshot. The 300 wsm is a lot of fun to shoot, but it is a thumper. The 243 is a lot easier to shoot (on the shoulder and the wallet). The T/C is a very accurate gun out of the box. 10 ring steady at 200 yards off of my range bag. I'm still working on my load for the 300 wsm. I'm looking at going up to Ft. Wayne next weekend to try and strech it out a bit and see what it can do. If you want to meet up with me, pm me and we'll work something out.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    not to mention...it takes considerble learning and practice to effectively hit man sized targets at 1000 meters....especially beyond that......you're going to have to get into calculating for wind, barometrics, gyroscopic drift, and even the coriolis effect at extended ranges like that..also, differences in elevation combined with judging distances is gonna throw more formulas at ya......not to mention hitting moving targets at thos distances, you bullet could be in flight 1.5-3 seconds before impacting and so you also need to be able to calculate a moving targets speed and aim at where he'll be in 3 seconds (hopefully)......all this means once you learn the formulas/calculations...you gonna have to put a lot of rounds down range...so I would again recommend the 308 for affordability to learn from...or simply join the military and try to get into sniper training....free ammo is the best and you get paid to learn all this

iMac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Just get ya a Model 10 FCP HS, or other heavy barrel .308 Savage. An save all the money you would have spent on those really expensive rifles and get a bunch of ammo and a real nice piece of glass.

Couldn't agree more. Got to love an accutrigger!

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    To the OP. I'm between Ft. Wayne IN, and Hicksville OH. I personally have a few custom 700's, and a few out of the box shooters (AI and FN) Here is the kicker. 308 is easy to find and affordable compared to the others. Are there better performers? Hell yes, but off the shelf ammo is not readily available. .300 mag, and .338 LM, are 3 x more expensive, and .50 BMG, is freaking retarded expensive + no ranges short of a military base will let you shoot it. If you do your part you can get out to 800 plus yards, 1000 on the high end with .308. In all reality how often do you get to shoot that far. That is why the majority of mine are 308, and I put together a HB AR to play with out to 3-500.

Things to think about:
    How much do you have to spend?
    Ammo expense/availability
    What type of ranges do you have access to?
    Don't forget about glass expense

Do your research, once you have a price point in mind that will determine what you can afford and will drive you more in one direction than another.

A bit of advice would be to do something that is a base to build on as time goes on. There are tons of gunsmiths that work on one platform or another, and the availability of the accessories that you may want. Out of the box budget minded shooters are:

Rem 700 AAC, PSS, LTR, Tact., or any HB models
    FN SPR, PBR, or TSR
    Win. model 70 HB rifles
    Savage 110 and 10

If you'd like to chat sometime PM me your # when you have figured out what kind of $ you're talking about and we can chat over options.

Also the 1k range is Young's Longshot up by Wolcottville.

Last edited:

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I know mossberg came out with a 308 called the night train, I dont know much about it but It may be worth checking out, It comes with a scope and I believe a muzzle break and bipod,

iwas1ncthr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Anderson
    Considering the US Military uses the Rem 700 as a base to build their bolt action sniper rifles I would say go with the Rem 700. The SPS is a great one to start with. It has a medium heavy barrel and if you want o add a custom stock then you can. I will post some pictures of my Rem 700 SPS, well, actually the end result after I added the H-S Percision stock along with a nice LP Mark 4 Tac Scope. As others have pointed out, do not skimp on the glass. If you have a sub MOA rifle and a 300 POS scope, your waisting ammo and $$$. This particular sniper rifle I have is the first one I built and it is modeled after the USMC M40A3. I didn't use a McMillian stock because I didn't feel like waiting for 3 months due to backorder and the fact you have to do a bedding job on there stocks in most cases. The Medalist stock I bought from H-S is just as good and came with aluminum blocks. I bolted everything down, put the scope on it, used the lazer bore sight and now I am driving 3 leaf clovers at 100 yards all day long Federal Match 168 BTHP which BTW is the same type of ammo the USCM snipers use except the Lake City M118LR designation and I have heard it is 175 grain but know for a fact the USMC uses 168, at least during 1993-1997.

The 2nd sniper rifle I built was based on the US Army M25 Sniper system. I bought once again the Rem 700 but it was a very particular model, it was the R5 designation which is the same exact rifle used to make the M24 sniper rifles for the US Army. Again, the only differance is that they are rebored to the .308 vs the .300WM. I bought the H-S stock, same as the M24 system but I used a Zeis scope. I still spent well over 1K for the optics and as with the Mark 4, you have to not only understand how to use your scope but also the importance of one, what are your rifles primary purpose going to be? Tactical shooting? Match? Just for fun at the range? Waiting for the end of the world? LOL. Anyhow, hope this helps.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    This thread is total ****.

To answer the OP, just spend your money. The difference between 3 of them is splitting hairs. Buy the. 50 if you have the cash.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a Savage 10 heavy bbl'd .308 Win. It's plenty accurate right out of the box and I kinda like the accutrigger. I like the rythm I get. tiny little shhhhhk, then BOOM, then run the bolt. Then repeat. Lil bro has the 700 police model and it's also a fine weapon. At the price of .338 and .50BMG rounds I'll stick to the .308 Win. I'm considering a .300 WSM for my next one. Almost all the power of the .300 Winmag and less recoil. Although the .243 Ackley Improved might be fun too.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If I were going to get into a first bolt rifle it would be in .308 hands down. An either the Savage or the Remmy would be more than fine for what 99% of what most of us do with these bolt rifles just to ring steel or punch paper. But even out on our farm me an my brother can only go out to 600yrds. So having anything more than the .308 is kind of a waste. An I have no need to shoot a 1000yrds. And after I rang a 12" gong at a 1000yrds down in Ky a few years ago, that was enough just to do it once then back to reality. Shooting that far costs money. Id rather take the same money buy a rifle that will do everything I need it to do in 99.9% of the shooting I do. But like a few others have said, buy what you want and like and leave it at that. But to me the big magnum stuff was fun for a month or two then it got old, with the cost and sore shoulder. I cant shoot all day with my .308 bolt an my AR's and alot cheaper:twocents:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have a Savage 10 heavy bbl'd .308 Win. It's plenty accurate right out of the box and I kinda like the accutrigger. I like the rythm I get. tiny little shhhhhk, then BOOM, then run the bolt. Then repeat. Lil bro has the 700 police model and it's also a fine weapon. At the price of .338 and .50BMG rounds I'll stick to the .308 Win. I'm considering a .300 WSM for my next one. Almost all the power of the .300 Winmag and less recoil. Although the .243 Ackley Improved might be fun too.

Actually you have about the same power and recoil in a 300wsm as you do in a 300winmag. The wsm is a little more effecient with powder than the 300 Winmag. And the other thing is that you have a shorter action whit the wsm for a faster follow up shot if needed. I have the Browning Abolt in 300 wsm and it can be a rocker if you don't respect it. I've made that mistake....once.

Top Bottom