• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Udderchaos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    NW Indy
    I have a Savage Bolt action 7mm I bought to hunt coyotes at the family farm. WAY more than I need. More of a headache than anything. Ammo isn't exactly cheap for it either. I don't know what you have planned for the weapon of your choosing, just letting you know what my experience with this weapon is. .308 would be more up to my needs.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Just get ya a Model 10 FCP HS, or other heavy barrel .308 Savage. An save all the money you would have spent on those really expensive rifles and get a bunch of ammo and a real nice piece of glass.

What he said. Just a Model 10 FCP with a stock and a good piece of glass.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Remwmbwe youll never be a sniper unless you join the military/get the proper training.

Not trying to be a sniper, trying to be the best shooter I can be in any situation. Like I mentioned earlier, "sniper" was just best word I could come up with to describe what I was looking for.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I was looking around and the place I usually buy my guns and I can get the Armalite AR 30 for $300 - $400 less than the Savage 10BA or 110BA.

I like the Sako TRG but I have a feeling that it will be too much for what i am willing to spend. I also found M110 SASS, XM110 SASS, Semi-Automatic Sniper System, Army M110 that looks to be a really nice rifle but I am sure it will be above price I am willing to spend. The shop I usually go to is listed as on of their dealers so i will have to talk to them and see what the price is.

The Remington 700 seems nice and affordable but one thing I do not like is the lack of a detachable magazine. Not a big deal but I just like the idea of the detachable magazine.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    My Sniper in the making is a Sigarms SHR-970 in .300 win mag....saving money for a good bi-pod and scope...any suggestions? anyway, best of luck to you in your purchase

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I was looking around and the place I usually buy my guns and I can get the Armalite AR 30 for $300 - $400 less than the Savage 10BA or 110BA.

I like the Sako TRG but I have a feeling that it will be too much for what i am willing to spend. I also found M110 SASS, XM110 SASS, Semi-Automatic Sniper System, Army M110 that looks to be a really nice rifle but I am sure it will be above price I am willing to spend. The shop I usually go to is listed as on of their dealers so i will have to talk to them and see what the price is.

The Remington 700 seems nice and affordable but one thing I do not like is the lack of a detachable magazine. Not a big deal but I just like the idea of the detachable magazine.

yeah the m110's are about 25 to 30k

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I grew up pointing shotguns and occasionally squirrel hunting with a .22. I bought a Savage 10FP in .223 in the spring. It was my first centerfire rifle and I bought it because it would be cheaper to shoot than other calibers, allowing me to get even more trigger time. I went to an appleseed to help with marksmanship. I have been practicing with it on a semi-regular basis and shooting the crap out of a rimfire rifle when I can't get out to a "real" rifle range. I'm finally shooting sub MOA groups after a lot of practice. I guess the point of this post is to say find something you're willing to shoot a lot.

Without regular practice, it's of little use to you, other than as a conversation piece. That's the best advice that was given to me and I'm glad I heeded it. I now feel like I can branch out and acquire some new toys in different calibers.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Getting in late on this one. I'm a fan of the Rem 700. I shoot it out to about 740 hitting a 16" target with consistency. As others have said, your glass will be a considerable factor to the rifle's effectiveness. I have the Rem 700 5r Mil Spec (.308) with a B&C stock and NightForce optic. It's far more accurate at this range than I am capable of achieving. Cost was not horrible. Actually paid more for the glass than the rifle in this case. (I plan to migrate the glass to another rifle when it's warranted.)

picture.php

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On a side note, You are not far from Youngs range either. (Far being a relative term.) I tend to shoot at Bass & Bucks when time permits. Range max is about 740 there.

I'll likely be there 10/14 if any INGO folks are interested. Shooting both the 700 and a POF 308 20" with NF optics as well.

OP, let us know what you buy.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I am about an hour and 15 from Youngs. They way my schedule is I will not have the time to head out that way for a while so I will just wait till spring.

I am prob going to wait till the spring now and get a rifle as I have decided to buy a truck. It will just give me more time to research my purchase though. At the same time I may find someting and purchase on a whim.

iwas1ncthr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Anderson
    I have shot on the Delta Range via Stone Bay Range Camp Lejeune NC in the prone position mind you and I hae never had an issue of putting a "308" round on the target. I know you will get many opinions concerning the 300WM vs the .308 and while balistics etc.. have some backing, I personally would choose the .308 over the 300WM for accuracy and distance. Maybe it is an old Marine Corps Bias or maybe because most of my experiance is on the use of the .308 However, in comparision to the US Army M24 system, the USMC M40 variations meaning we still had the M40A1 while I was in and toward the end of my enlistment they were bringing in the M40A3's, combat wise, the M40 has outperformed, outshot and in just plain combat senerio has blown the M24 system out of the water. PLease know I am not trying to start a "What round is better" and know I wil not argue with anyone, debate anyone etc.... this is simply opinion and experiance so to each there own.
    I have since built one of each system via civilian syle and the only major differance is in the M24 version I built. It is in .308 because for one, the Rem700 R5 comes in the .308 and to be honest, I wouldn't have bought it if it came in the 300WM. I also bought an B&C precisions M24 stock and for glass I opted for a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 AO MC Conquest scope with standard military style turrets, Leopold rings&base. The only thing i did out of the ordinary was that I refinished the barrel and parts of the bolt in Duracote OD Green. The R5 came with a very nice stock in a cool looking green/rey crackle type stock but the matt stainless just does not go with me and instaed of the standard matt black, the OD green suits my taste much better. Anyhow, the M24 type build was fun. I also added a Devcon bedding job although the stock I bought had very nice aluminum blocks, i figuured the bedding job could only make it a bit better on paper. The triger on the R5 has a pull of about 3.2lbs which is about perfect for me, not to light, not to hard. I almost forgot to mention that I added a 10round detatchable magazine trigger gaurd to the rifle from H&S Precision. The bad thing about the rifle is that my range is only 100yards and knowing that the rifles performance isn't even a challange until IMO< around 400+yards, you can only shoot groups so much before it's off to find a range with some good yardage. Thank God I found out about some AFB here In Indiana that has a 1000yd range. I am stoked to say the least to get there and test my babies out.

The other rifle I built was an M40A3 variation, again, the Rem700 base was used except I went with the SPS model on this one. It does not have the 1-11.25 RH Twist like the R5 and it's barrel is shorter by 4 inches. The R5 BTW has a 24 inch barrel.
    Again I went with B&C R5 Tactical Medalist stock, used the Rem SPS in .308, same base and rings as the M24 variation and instead i went with the Leopold Mk4 Tac. Not the cheaper version the LD $1700 version, lol. Only reason I state that is I always get corrected about that when I am showing my babay off to others or jus talking about guns in general. I guess it's quite important to know you have the more expensive version on your baby, who knows. Anyhow, I used another aftermarket 10rd magazine just like the M24 but I went with a company called Wylies???? I have had nothing but isses with it and have ground the magazine etc... follwed the companies suggestion and I still have a $300 aftermarket part that does not work.........So, back to the standard drop plate. Each rifle shoots 1/4MOA @100yards period. I have even had issues wondering if my first couple shots were, one on and one off because I have put 2 rounds through the same hole when I use my Lead Sled. The M24 version is however a more accurate rifle IMO. I have had more consistant groups and alot more 2 in one's and beleive it or not, 3 leaf clovers are just about common with that one. I shoot 168BTHP Match. When you break it down to cost, they faired out about the same. The reason for this is the cost of the optics. The Zeiss cost me right at $1000 and the MK4 was @ $1700. The Rem 700's cost breaks down as this, the SPS $575 and the R5 $1195. The B&C stocks were right in line with one another, each costing give or take $25, $550 each. The base and rings were about $75 together for each rifle and the 10rd mags with trigger gaurds were $240 for the Wyatts and $280 for the H&S. Each rifle by the time all is said and done came in about 3K but, is it worth having 2 tack drivers that are modeled after US Military Sniper Rifles? To me absolutly without question, yes. The only thing that bother me now is that the USMC has been in Kahoots with CheyTac during the past 18 months and by the looks of it and from a buddy of mine who works as a USMC Armoror, the Corps may very well be bringing the 406 CheyTac into it's arsenal of Sniper Rifles. I hear this will replace the Barret .50 for most uses althought the .50 has it.s place, it's just not feasable for a Sniper team to be out hauling that beast around. I do not understand how the Marine Corps will get funding for the ammo on the CheyTac however, I know it's a very epensive round to fire and the rigonal thought was that the US Marines as well as the US Army were experimenting big time with the .338Lapua Mag. Then again, anything the US Army wants to get, the Marines always try t go in another direction to keep that differance between branches that much more in view, who knows but if they do go with the CheyTac I don;t see myself attempting to build a version of it nor my wife giving me the thunbs up for a $12K rifle :) Hope this helps if not I hope you at least enjoyed my rant about daydreaming about my time in the Corps

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    A friend of mine has a Savage 10. He's let me shoot it a few times..., very impressive. My question to you is this..., assuming you get one of these puppies, where do you plan on shooting it? I don't know of any mile-long shooting ranges around here.

I assume you'd do it on private land, and if so, PM me so I can show up too. Buddies for life!

Thats exactly the problem i had with my R700 SPS .308. Only place i could shoot was my friends farm. Plus the glass you have to buy for it.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I have shot on the Delta Range via Stone Bay Range Camp Lejeune NC in the prone position mind you and I hae never had an issue of putting a "308" round on the target. I know you will get many opinions concerning the 300WM vs the .308 and while balistics etc.. have some backing, I personally would choose the .308 over the 300WM for accuracy and distance. Maybe it is an old Marine Corps Bias or maybe because most of my experiance is on the use of the .308 However, in comparision to the US Army M24 system, the USMC M40 variations meaning we still had the M40A1 while I was in and toward the end of my enlistment they were bringing in the M40A3's, combat wise, the M40 has outperformed, outshot and in just plain combat senerio has blown the M24 system out of the water. PLease know I am not trying to start a "What round is better" and know I wil not argue with anyone, debate anyone etc.... this is simply opinion and experiance so to each there own.
    I have since built one of each system via civilian syle and the only major differance is in the M24 version I built. It is in .308 because for one, the Rem700 R5 comes in the .308 and to be honest, I wouldn't have bought it if it came in the 300WM. I also bought an B&C precisions M24 stock and for glass I opted for a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 AO MC Conquest scope with standard military style turrets, Leopold rings&base. The only thing i did out of the ordinary was that I refinished the barrel and parts of the bolt in Duracote OD Green. The R5 came with a very nice stock in a cool looking green/rey crackle type stock but the matt stainless just does not go with me and instaed of the standard matt black, the OD green suits my taste much better. Anyhow, the M24 type build was fun. I also added a Devcon bedding job although the stock I bought had very nice aluminum blocks, i figuured the bedding job could only make it a bit better on paper. The triger on the R5 has a pull of about 3.2lbs which is about perfect for me, not to light, not to hard. I almost forgot to mention that I added a 10round detatchable magazine trigger gaurd to the rifle from H&S Precision. The bad thing about the rifle is that my range is only 100yards and knowing that the rifles performance isn't even a challange until IMO< around 400+yards, you can only shoot groups so much before it's off to find a range with some good yardage. Thank God I found out about some AFB here In Indiana that has a 1000yd range. I am stoked to say the least to get there and test my babies out.

The other rifle I built was an M40A3 variation, again, the Rem700 base was used except I went with the SPS model on this one. It does not have the 1-11.25 RH Twist like the R5 and it's barrel is shorter by 4 inches. The R5 BTW has a 24 inch barrel.
    Again I went with B&C R5 Tactical Medalist stock, used the Rem SPS in .308, same base and rings as the M24 variation and instead i went with the Leopold Mk4 Tac. Not the cheaper version the LD $1700 version, lol. Only reason I state that is I always get corrected about that when I am showing my babay off to others or jus talking about guns in general. I guess it's quite important to know you have the more expensive version on your baby, who knows. Anyhow, I used another aftermarket 10rd magazine just like the M24 but I went with a company called Wylies???? I have had nothing but isses with it and have ground the magazine etc... follwed the companies suggestion and I still have a $300 aftermarket part that does not work.........So, back to the standard drop plate. Each rifle shoots 1/4MOA @100yards period. I have even had issues wondering if my first couple shots were, one on and one off because I have put 2 rounds through the same hole when I use my Lead Sled. The M24 version is however a more accurate rifle IMO. I have had more consistant groups and alot more 2 in one's and beleive it or not, 3 leaf clovers are just about common with that one. I shoot 168BTHP Match. When you break it down to cost, they faired out about the same. The reason for this is the cost of the optics. The Zeiss cost me right at $1000 and the MK4 was @ $1700. The Rem 700's cost breaks down as this, the SPS $575 and the R5 $1195. The B&C stocks were right in line with one another, each costing give or take $25, $550 each. The base and rings were about $75 together for each rifle and the 10rd mags with trigger gaurds were $240 for the Wyatts and $280 for the H&S. Each rifle by the time all is said and done came in about 3K but, is it worth having 2 tack drivers that are modeled after US Military Sniper Rifles? To me absolutly without question, yes. The only thing that bother me now is that the USMC has been in Kahoots with CheyTac during the past 18 months and by the looks of it and from a buddy of mine who works as a USMC Armoror, the Corps may very well be bringing the 406 CheyTac into it's arsenal of Sniper Rifles. I hear this will replace the Barret .50 for most uses althought the .50 has it.s place, it's just not feasable for a Sniper team to be out hauling that beast around. I do not understand how the Marine Corps will get funding for the ammo on the CheyTac however, I know it's a very epensive round to fire and the rigonal thought was that the US Marines as well as the US Army were experimenting big time with the .338Lapua Mag. Then again, anything the US Army wants to get, the Marines always try t go in another direction to keep that differance between branches that much more in view, who knows but if they do go with the CheyTac I don;t see myself attempting to build a version of it nor my wife giving me the thunbs up for a $12K rifle :) Hope this helps if not I hope you at least enjoyed my rant about daydreaming about my time in the Corps

Wow I could not disagree more, sir. The M24 is far superior IMO. Not just from my own experience but you can read about it just about any where that the M24 is better than the m40. But i realize this isnt a debate on the two so i'll just leave it at that as far as comparing details of why.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Here is the quick and simple. Until my forced bit at "selling the Army" (recruiter) I repaired, maintained, and even built rifles and equipped Cav soldiers to take on the enemy anywhere, anytime. BOLT GUNS ARE DEAD. PERIOD. The Army has already moved on to a Semiauto. You should too. The Army has invested HEAVILY into the M 110. The M-24 is gone, fini, a dinosaur. It sucks. And YES I have used one a LOT. Why would you want to load from a 5 or 10 round FIXED mag. Why would you want to run a bolt. Semiautos are JUST as accurate if not more so than a bolt gun. They load faster (20 round .308 PMAG) and allow faster follow up shots. The myth that all long range kills are one shotters is B.S. -most long range shots require an adjustment or even 2. That's why we have a spotter. You can get back on target faster and even SEE your trace with a semiauto since you are not moving your body around to manipulate that 100 year old tech.
    Look into a DPMS. They are AWESOME, and just as cost effective as a bolt gun. The LR 308 B that I built was a true Sub 1/2 moa gun. It shot 168 gr. Gold medal into .240 to .405 groups all day long and I got it at Keisler's in Jeffersonville for $875.00 right after they hit the market. Keep it simple, no need for quad rails etc... The LR 308's come with a free float tube already, add a front sling stud for your bipod, put on a GOOD scope and go make hits out there in the ether...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Here is the quick and simple. Until my forced bit at "selling the Army" (recruiter) I repaired, maintained, and even built rifles and equipped Cav soldiers to take on the enemy anywhere, anytime. BOLT GUNS ARE DEAD. PERIOD. The Army has already moved on to a Semiauto. You should too. The Army has invested HEAVILY into the M 110. The M-24 is gone, fini, a dinosaur. It sucks. And YES I have used one a LOT. Why would you want to load from a 5 or 10 round FIXED mag. Why would you want to run a bolt. Semiautos are JUST as accurate if not more so than a bolt gun. They load faster (20 round .308 PMAG) and allow faster follow up shots. The myth that all long range kills are one shotters is B.S. -most long range shots require an adjustment or even 2. That's why we have a spotter. You can get back on target faster and even SEE your trace with a semiauto since you are not moving your body around to manipulate that 100 year old tech.
    Look into a DPMS. They are AWESOME, and just as cost effective as a bolt gun. The LR 308 B that I built was a true Sub 1/2 moa gun. It shot 168 gr. Gold medal into .240 to .405 groups all day long and I got it at Keisler's in Jeffersonville for $875.00 right after they hit the market. Keep it simple, no need for quad rails etc... The LR 308's come with a free float tube already, add a front sling stud for your bipod, put on a GOOD scope and go make hits out there in the ether...

for avg infantrymen purposes (600 meters or less)...this may be true.........maybe even for DM's.......but for sniping, when 2nd shots aren't necessarily an option for variousl reasons the bolt gun is still far better.......better, consistent accuracy at extended ranges...plus when firing from concealed positions you don't have that pesky empty casing flying through the air saying HERE I AM!!!

Top Bottom