• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Wow I could not disagree more, sir. The M24 is far superior IMO. Not just from my own experience but you can read about it just about any where that the M24 is better than the m40. But i realize this isnt a debate on the two so i'll just leave it at that as far as comparing details of why.

opinions

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Here is the quick and simple. Until my forced bit at "selling the Army" (recruiter) I repaired, maintained, and even built rifles and equipped Cav soldiers to take on the enemy anywhere, anytime. BOLT GUNS ARE DEAD. PERIOD. The Army has already moved on to a Semiauto. You should too. The Army has invested HEAVILY into the M 110. The M-24 is gone, fini, a dinosaur. It sucks. And YES I have used one a LOT. Why would you want to load from a 5 or 10 round FIXED mag. Why would you want to run a bolt. Semiautos are JUST as accurate if not more so than a bolt gun. They load faster (20 round .308 PMAG) and allow faster follow up shots. The myth that all long range kills are one shotters is B.S. -most long range shots require an adjustment or even 2. That's why we have a spotter. You can get back on target faster and even SEE your trace with a semiauto since you are not moving your body around to manipulate that 100 year old tech.
    Look into a DPMS. They are AWESOME, and just as cost effective as a bolt gun. The LR 308 B that I built was a true Sub 1/2 moa gun. It shot 168 gr. Gold medal into .240 to .405 groups all day long and I got it at Keisler's in Jeffersonville for $875.00 right after they hit the market. Keep it simple, no need for quad rails etc... The LR 308's come with a free float tube already, add a front sling stud for your bipod, put on a GOOD scope and go make hits out there in the ether...

As a 19DB4, I have to ask where were you stationed in order to build weapons. I would assume you were at Ft Benning with the AMU or one of the Army testing facilities(or even at Crane), for the simple fact that Remington rebuilds the Army M24's and Knights rebuilds the M110. And what do you consier a lot, for me I have tens of thousands of rounds through each of the weapon systems you are talking about, trust me when I say that the "old bolt gun" is by far a better shooter. Here's something you can try the next time you get your hands on a M110, lock the mag in the weapon and chamber a round now close the dust cover and fire, let me know if you get the second round to chamber.

I guess I'm just old school where the only round that counts is the first one. Just my :twocents:.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County
    I own a CZ 527 American, you can get one in any caliber, I would recomend 308 for your use. This rifle comes with scope rings, and sling studs, and features a great trigger, it can be used as set trigger or your standard two stage. These rifles are outstanding, and use the tried and true Mouser action. I and a couple of my friends have these rifles and all will shoot under minute of angle right out of the box.
    Bill...

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I had a Savage 110FP in 308 that I shot a coyote on the run @ 123 yards.
    That thing was a tack driver!

Now, I have something that is almost better. Laugh if you want but, they will shoot like crazy right out of the box! And they are pretty cheap, $479!

What is it? The Thompson Center Venture. Calibers are limited right now. I bought my wife one for hog hunting and after shooting it, seeing the accuracy, she went right out and bought me one! .30/06 version, now we have a set!

Here are the groups that we turned in with them.
    Hers:
    30-06100yardMOM.jpg

Mine:
    30-06100yardDAD.jpg

Both, 3 shots @ 100 yards. 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2700fps or so.

Hard to beat that from a stock rifle, right out of the box. Oh, by the way, they are guaranteed to shoot MOA with factory ammo! Good deal all around. Our local MC Sporting Goods Store started carrying firearms and we got them there. Nice, real nice!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had a Savage 110FP in 308 that I shot a coyote on the run @ 123 yards.
    That thing was a tack driver!

Now, I have something that is almost better. Laugh if you want but, they will shoot like crazy right out of the box! And they are pretty cheap, $479!

What is it? The Thompson Center Venture. Calibers are limited right now. I bought my wife one for hog hunting and after shooting it, seeing the accuracy, she went right out and bought me one! .30/06 version, now we have a set!

Here are the groups that we turned in with them.
    Hers:
    30-06100yardMOM.jpg

Mine:
    30-06100yardDAD.jpg

Both, 3 shots @ 100 yards. 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 2700fps or so.

Hard to beat that from a stock rifle, right out of the box. Oh, by the way, they are guaranteed to shoot MOA with factory ammo! Good deal all around. Our local MC Sporting Goods Store started carrying firearms and we got them there. Nice, real nice!

i had a 243 i sold and later regretted it. if i still had it i would make it a 243ai and put it is a xlr stock. they make pretty good builders actions

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    This thread is total ****.

I didn't think it could get worse.
    Holy crap. I gotta get my waders out if I plan to keep reading this thread.

i quite reading it awhile ago, but i saw you posted so i thought i would see what you had to say

Yep same here. glad i got in on this one early, and can leave just as quickly. probably a good thing, since i am outdated for using a boltgun.

Why did you three go and post. Now y'all brought me back in this modern warfare garbage.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I have recently purchased a Remington 700P (26 inch barrel). I am looking for a reasonable choice for a scope wanting to shoot 4 - 500 yards or so. I am looking for recommendations. Cost conscious, but quality is a priority, with out over doing it. I am going to be one of those guys with a notebook recording shots, etc. Advice appreciated.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I want Savage Model10 in .308. Hope to get one this summer, after I seen how well my brother's shot out of the box it made me a beliver.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I have recently purchased a Remington 700P (26 inch barrel). I am looking for a reasonable choice for a scope wanting to shoot 4 - 500 yards or so. I am looking for recommendations. Cost conscious, but quality is a priority, with out over doing it. I am going to be one of those guys with a notebook recording shots, etc. Advice appreciated.

PM 46279vette. Hes a great guy and is very knowledgable on optics in general. His prices on Vortex optics are unbeatable also. Just tell him what you need and im sure he can fix you up.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    savage 110

my savage 110 in 308 does a heck of of job even shooting surplus ammo, but as always it is a personal decision to make as in recoil, price of ammo and good optics:ar15:

Top Bottom