• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I can see how it could be useful in a city where guns are allowed to be fired, but some areas, especially in Indiana, that tracker will be going off all day long and will be more of a hassle.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They are calling this new technology, but I recall seeing the same basic idea being tested in London I believe, and that was 10 years ago!

They may have better acoustical identification software, but the technology is basic triangulation. Been in use for hundreds of years for one use or another.

I also will be interested to see the studies done over long-term efectiveness and reliability.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Uuhhhhh.... So they are putting microphones all over towns on say... Lamp posts and the side of a building and just about everywhere else in public area's? Am I reading that right?

Not good, Not good at all.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    207356_192991620738347_165801456790697_428038_447021_n.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Uuhhhhh.... So they are putting microphones all over towns on say... Lamp posts and the side of a building and just about everywhere else in public area's? Am I reading that right?

Not good, Not good at all.

^This! How soon before they start to monitor anything said by voice. Similar to what Batman created in The Dark Knight to track the Joker by using all the cellphones. & how he gave that "power" to the professor and told the professor to destroy it once done so that it would not be used for evil.

-Jedi

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Keep throwing firecrackers & whatever approximation of M80s you can get all over the place. When they get sick of being overwhelmed by gunshots and start ignoring the thing, it becomes a waste.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Keep throwing firecrackers & whatever approximation of M80s you can get all over the place. When they get sick of being overwhelmed by gunshots and start ignoring the thing, it becomes a waste.

No they will then request more $$$ to fight the war on <<insert your text here>>.

-Jedi

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

There's another thought. I own several different nail-guns, and all are cordless. They actually fire a gas charge to drive nails, and yes they DO sound like a firearm. I can fire probably 40 rounds a minute out of it.

Matter of fact I have a couple of "Ram-Set" nailers. These actually use .22cal blanks to drive nails into concrete. I have had the local police come check on us over the use of the ram-set, and the cop just heard it fire as he was driving by.
    Ram-Set would DEFINATELY draw some attention with these devices in the area.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

And the next step will be the passing of a law making anyone who does such a thing guilty of domestic terrorism and whisked away never to be heard from again.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Nail guns, firecrackers, useless. It will have to be gunfire. The BPD say they can tell caliber but really?

From their site:
    ShotSpotter solutions deliver instant, accurate tactical awareness:

• Immediate alerts, even when no one calls 911
    • Precise location anywhere within coverage area including latitude/longitude and street address
    • Exact time and number of rounds fired
    • Shooter position, speed and direction of travel (if moving)
    ShotSpotter incident data can yield critical forensic data including:

• Sequence of rounds fired with time and position data
    • Type or types of weapons used
    • Possible or relative caliber of weapons
    • Number of weapons or shooters
    • Weapon cyclic rates
    ShotSpotter solutions support strategic deterrence:

• Awareness of all gunfire, not just reported incidents
    • Cumulative data enables proactive crime analysis
    • Detailed data enhances investigation and prosecution
    • Improved community engagement with law enforcement

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Just another cog added to the establishment's control machine under the guise of "public safety". The real scary thing to ask yourself is when will they turn the machine on........

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Nail guns, firecrackers, useless. It will have to be gunfire.
    Yeah, well, I had a salesman at a car parts store try to tell me that an alternator did NOT charge the battery in your car!

They can say what they want, they do want to sell them after all.

It would be interesting to hear them explain how this system distinguishes between calibers, cyclic rates,...:rolleyes:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    All calibers have a bit of a different sound. Kinda like being able to tell what just drove by without looking. On the paintball field I can generally tell what marker someone is using by sound alone. Cyclic rate, that's the easy one. Now much time between shots.

Top Bottom