• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    I thought this in the article was interesting....

The Youngstown Police Department decided to go very public by posting frank warning signs, such as this one at the Youngstown Elementary School:
    “If You Fire a Gun, We Will Find You.”

Elementary school?????

jlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    They are calling this new technology, but I recall seeing the same basic idea being tested in London I believe, and that was 10 years ago!

My college roommate has an older brother who was working on such a system 10-15 years ago for one of the National Labs. Their system was paired up with some sort of turret that was able to return fire, and was designed more as a countermeasure for a specific location/event. Didn't get much detail since it was kinda hush hush at the time, but I'm not surprised that a sound based triangulation system exists.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I thought this in the article was interesting....

The Youngstown Police Department decided to go very public by posting frank warning signs, such as this one at the Youngstown Elementary School:
    “If You Fire a Gun, We Will Find You.”

Elementary school?????
    Yeah, that's odd.
    You gotta love how all these tax sucker agencies get more and more threatening as time goes on.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I read about this last night. Quite interesting!! Maybe they need to test it out in Louisville, KY, someone is always getting shot in the West End of town.
    OH! Have you heard what these "community leaders" in the west end want to do now? Get this....BAN FIREARMS!! I laughed so hard I damn near puked when I heard that on the news a few weeks back. Scary stupid stuff!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Not new tech but kinda scary all the same. Wonder if it could be fooled with some good loud speakers and recorded acoustic signatures played from a moving vehicle?

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Similar to a system used in Iraq over the years. DARPA developed a system that identifies muzzle-flashes at a distance. Was told this by a friend who works for a group who can't be named.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    When do we tell big brother to shove it up his a**.

Have we forgotten what the 2nd Amendment is for?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd have to see a lot more specifics on how it can differentiate between different reports, when you get into echos, multipath, absorption, etc. I'm skeptical.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    More than 80 cities across the US use ShotSpotter on the AT&T network with a 60 second guarantee delivery of a gunshot alert. Not sure if Chicago is on the list but boy, do they need some kind of help in their various districts.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    More than 80 cities across the US use ShotSpotter on the AT&T network with a 60 second guarantee delivery of a gunshot alert. Not sure if Chicago is on the list but boy, do they need some kind of help in their various districts.

Our town has a conservation club/shooting range just outside town, these sensors wouldn't do a bit of good.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm glad the criminals will now be afraid to commit crimes due to these. ***sigh***

I hear ya, just look how they're shaking in their Nikes in Chicago with all of those gun laws. It is a really sad fact that so many children are gunned down in that town.

I bet that technology really goes bonkers on 4th of July

Top Bottom