• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Maybe we should start letting smokers light up anywhere they want. Gotta make them happy. It'll be perfectly fine to go chain smoke in the nursery at the hospital. Maybe we should have mandatory smoking for public places. Who cares if you choose not to smoke cigarettes (walking around smelling like burning garbage) if it'll make the smokers happy? Next on the agenda will be mandatory drunk driving in school zones because who cares as long as someone is happy.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Maybe we should start letting smokers light up anywhere they want. Gotta make them happy. It'll be perfectly fine to go chain smoke in the nursery at the hospital. Maybe we should have mandatory smoking for public places. Who cares if you choose not to smoke cigarettes (walking around smelling like burning garbage) if it'll make the smokers happy? Next on the agenda will be mandatory drunk driving in school zones because who cares as long as someone is happy.
    If that hospital is private property they can ban or not ban whatever they want, just like they ban guns at most private hospitals.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    That isn't going to affect me any. I'm going to light up whenever and where ever as long as it makes me happy. Forget about using common sense or being even slightly respectful to others (that is part of where smoking bans come from) and I'm going to throw my butts on the ground because who cares if it makes me happy.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Sepe. If you want more gov't control of your life then by all means move to China and get your fill. I for one choose to be as free as I possibly can be. Likening smoking a cig in a bar to smoking in a hospital nursery or driving drunk in a school zone is about the most absurd thing I have read in a long time. Regardless of how you personally feel about smoking it comes down to one question. Do you wish to live free or do you think all your decisions should be made by big brother? There have been many valid points made in this thread to support the idea of freedom. If you have a reasonable response to prove your point I would happy to read it. Your above statement is not it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're obviously too young to remember this.
    There were ash trays at the end of every aisle in every Grocery store.
    Doctors offices had at least one ashtray on each table and desk.
    MOST Doctors, Nurses, Health Care people smoked.
    Hospitals had a "Non Smoking" area, usually a small room at the end of a hallway, for non smokers to escape the clouds of smoke that were everywhere.
    Every restaurant had at least one ashtray at every table, usually with the Restaurants own matches in them.
    When the Blue Laws were in effect in Indiana the only place that you could buy cigarettes on Sunday was the Snack Bar at the Hospital.
    Cig machines were just inside the entrance to almost every store, restaurant, and bar in the state. ($.25 a pack and most gave a book of matches too)
    Smoking was promoted for it's "health benefits".

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sepe. If you want more gov't control of your life then by all means move to China and get your fill. I for one choose to be as free as I possibly can be. Likening smoking a cig in a bar to smoking in a hospital nursery or driving drunk in a school zone is about the most absurd thing I have read in a long time. Regardless of how you personally feel about smoking it comes down to one question. Do you wish to live free or do you think all your decisions should be made by big brother? There have been many valid points made in this thread to support the idea of freedom. If you have a reasonable response to prove your point I would happy to read it. Your above statement is not it.

I'm really sorry for not using purple text in obvious portions of replies. If it takes you a different color to truly understand something, that is not my problem. I DO smoke cigars and pipes on occasion but even when I'm able to smoke in a bar or restaurant, I take it outside because I'm considerate of those that don't want to stink like smoke or have to inhale my smoke. You're more than free to smoke outside (even where they have bans).

If you want to talk to people about wanting personal freedoms, why don't you take your move to China blah blah blah garbage to those that are more than happy to support the likes of Newt, Mitt, or any of the other borderline retarded talking heads.

PS. Stop using parking lots as a place to clean your ashtrays and throw your butts in the provided buckets. Even other smokers (chain smokers or occasion) don't always like seeing you use public spaces as your personal garbage can (and yes, some cities have used that argument as part of why they try to move towards bans in public).

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    To all of you against the statist pigs that would support this infringement on individual liberty and private property rights, how many of you bothered to contact your city counsel representative?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're obviously too young to remember this.
    There were ash trays at the end of every aisle in every Grocery store.
    Doctors offices had at least one ashtray on each table and desk.
    MOST Doctors, Nurses, Health Care people smoked.
    Hospitals had a "Non Smoking" area, usually a small room at the end of a hallway, for non smokers to escape the clouds of smoke that were everywhere.
    Every restaurant had at least one ashtray at every table, usually with the Restaurants own matches in them.
    When the Blue Laws were in effect in Indiana the only place that you could buy cigarettes on Sunday was the Snack Bar at the Hospital.
    Cig machines were just inside the entrance to almost every store, restaurant, and bar in the state. ($.25 a pack and most gave a book of matches too)
    Smoking was promoted for it's "health benefits".

I was making a sarcastic/overly dramatic comment and didn't feel the need to use another color font but yes, I am too young to remember all that but not too ignorant to know about it. Just because it was promoted for "health benefits" doesn't mean it didn't stink just as bad back then (actually probably wasn't quite as bad with fewer additives). Hmm, $.25 a pack and doctors saying it was healthy almost would have made it cool enough for me to be a chain smoker. I really missed out on that one =(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Once we get this smoking stuff done and the nasty ass cologne. I think all bars should be closed. Think about it. The only purpose they serve is to make people drink and drive. How many innocent people must die before the public opens their eyes.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    If you look at my post history you will see I am not a supporter of any of those mentioned. Also I never empty my ashtray in a parking lot. That is what trashcans are for. I do occasionally toss my cigarette butt on the ground. They are actually bio degradable. In mass I agree though, it does look bad. I do smoke in places that allow smoking. It is not an issue of respect of anybody else. If they do not like smoking or being around it they could and should simply go someplace that does not allow smoking. I rarely drink but when I do I like to smoke so I would not go to a bar that did not allow smoking.

With you talking about republican candidates it does make me wonder who you support currently. I would assume it is not Ron Paul because he is for personal freedom. With the names you mention I would again assume the option left would be Obama. That would make sense.

Just to ad I am no dr. or nurse but I do work in the healthcare field. I deliver, service and set up home oxygen equipment. I have seen many people with many different lung ailments. Some contribute it to smoking. Some say they have never smoked nor been around many smokers. If you do not like the smell then by all means avoid places that allow smoking. If it bothers you that much when people smoke outside then try to avoid people who are smoking outside. Just still not sure what would give you the right to try and say what I should and should not do and where and when I should do it.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Once we get this smoking stuff done and the nasty ass cologne. I think all bars should be closed. Think about it. The only purpose they serve is to make people drink and drive. How many innocent people must die before the public opens their eyes.

If representatives are elected that pass such legislation, so be it. This is America. We are a representative democracy. Disagree with legislation, challenge it in the courts or win an election.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I was making a sarcastic/overly dramatic comment and didn't feel the need to use another color font but yes, I am too young to remember all that but not too ignorant to know about it. Just because it was promoted for "health benefits" doesn't mean it didn't stink just as bad back then (actually probably wasn't quite as bad with fewer additives). Hmm, $.25 a pack and doctors saying it was healthy almost would have made it cool enough for me to be a chain smoker. I really missed out on that one =(
    When they allowed Cig ads on TV several brands of menthol cigs touted the fact that menthol opened up the air passages and made it easier to breathe. :rolleyes:
    Also Doctors were routinely used to promote one brand or another.
    It was a different world from today, and in many ways people had a lot more freedom. At least when it came to their personal habits.
    If the trend continues on as it is now I see the term "Controlled from Womb to Tomb" being exactly what everyone will live under. :noway:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    If representatives are elected that pass such legislation, so be it. This is America. We are a representative democracy. Disagree with legislation, challenge it in the courts or win an election.

Once the smoking is done we can start working on legislation to ban the Jews, eh?

Heil hitler.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Once the smoking is done we can start working on legislation to ban the Jews, eh?

Heil hitler.

If courts uphold the legislation, yes. This is how America works. Your opinion on any particular matter does not matter. Your opinion on the Constitution doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what comes from the various levels of courts available to the citizenry. If you disagree with the legislation, vote out the politicians. If you disagree with the courts, vote them out or position your party to appoint sympathetic judges. You get the government you deserve.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    If that is what you want, I'm sure you could find many others that are like minded that would love to start lobbying soon.

Perhaps... but right now they are busy lobbying for the stripping of individual liberties and private property rights.

May the statist pigs burn In Hell.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I cant read this thread anymore. The extent of ignorance in some of the responses is literally making me sick to my stomach. Thankfully I still have the right to choose not to read this anymore. For all of you people that have stated support for forced government control of peoples freedoms, all I can say is I pity you in your ignorance. To not know history is to be doomed to repeat it. The more control you give the government the more control government wants. That is just simple fact.

Remember the words of Martin Niemoller in Nazi Germany in 1945

First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    If courts uphold the legislation, yes. This is how America works. Your opinion on any particular matter does not matter. Your opinion on the Constitution doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what comes from the various levels of courts available to the citizenry. If you disagree with the legislation, vote out the politicians. If you disagree with the courts, vote them out or position your party to appoint sympathetic judges. You get the government you deserve.

Hardly.

You may benefit from a review of John Locke... and perhaps even a review of the D of I.

Top Bottom