• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Sense of the Smith & Wesson frame sizes? I realize that they were Factory designators, and never intended to be used as common lingo. I'm just trying to sort it out and see if there's an easy way to remember this. You don't find frame sizes in the Smith & Wesson catalog, however if you want to buy a holster you'd better know the frame size. I just went and compared a 686 4 inch revolver and a 617 to see if holsters would be common comma and the guy behind the counter says that they're different frame sizes and they won't fit. But that doesn't appear to be correct as I put them side-by-side. I was told that the 617 is AK frame, and the 686 is an L frame.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This should help:

sw-frames-e1411245875464.jpg

If you want to get particular about which model # is which frame size, the Smith & Wesson Revolver home page allows you to sort accordingly.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/revolvers

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like pictures! Thank you. I still don't guess I understand what the difference between the K and the L frame is.

L is beefier...Came about in the 1980's due to frame cutting on the K frames after too many hot .357 magnums went through them...Ruger was not having that problem with their revolvers and Smith felt like it was something they needed to rectify...The same grips work for either as only the frame was beefed up...

Then the wonder nines came out and the question became moot...

Top Bottom