• ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    1st hand anecdotes please.

All you have given so far is a lot of what people think. You implied that you have first hand knowledge.

Maybe he has me on ignore, someone please quote me.

First hand only, okay. I have seen the entire holster separate from the belt loop attachment, sheared off where the screws mount in. That was a friend I worked with many years ago at Brink's. He caught his holster on a door frame and it completely ripped apart.

I have used them on training excercises and it is possible to get them to lock up from rolling around in the dirt. Not me personally, but I have seen others do similar tests with the same results.

Put on your DERPA and have your gun in it. Lay on your side with the holster between you and the floor. Now add someone on top of you. If you can't get up, or get turned around, then you might as well forget about your gun, it's not going anywhere.

These problems are well known, and easily reproducable. All I want is to inform people of the potential dangers of a product. It is interesting to me that so many people defend a product that is so poorly designed. I admit, many years ago I carried in a DERPA. Then I got some real training and experience, and now I know better.

If someone made a car where the airbags didn't work, the seatbelt wouldn't release after a crash, and the doors would lock you in if the car was on fire or under water, no one would drive that car. Yet there are still people who carry with a SERPA, and defend their choice.

I don't care how you carry. If you understand the risks and choose to do it anyway, that's on you. But there are people out there that do not understand how dangerous these holsters are, and I feel like they deserve to know. I'm not making anything up. It's all firsthand observations that you can easily replicate at home.

And I haven't blocked you. I don't like blocking people, especially you.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

The first one is amazing. Three to five idiots breaking rvery basic rule. I had a malfunction and Coach had me go to a safe area and clear and fix it. I would never train with those guys.

The second one was hilarious, My Serpa holster just shot me. SOB, My Serpa holster just shot me.

Oh! He told the truth! SOB "l" just shot MYSELF! But I am going to blame it on the Serpa holster.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    First hand only, okay. I have seen the entire holster separate from the belt loop attachment, sheared off where the screws mount in. That was a friend I worked with many years ago at Brink's. He caught his holster on a door frame and it completely ripped apart.

I have used them on training excercises and it is possible to get them to lock up from rolling around in the dirt. Not me personally, but I have seen others do similar tests with the same results.

Put on your DERPA and have your gun in it. Lay on your side with the holster between you and the floor. Now add someone on top of you. If you can't get up, or get turned around, then you might as well forget about your gun, it's not going anywhere.

These problems are well known, and easily reproducable. All I want is to inform people of the potential dangers of a product. It is interesting to me that so many people defend a product that is so poorly designed. I admit, many years ago I carried in a DERPA. Then I got some real training and experience, and now I know better.

If someone made a car where the airbags didn't work, the seatbelt wouldn't release after a crash, and the doors would lock you in if the car was on fire or under water, no one would drive that car. Yet there are still people who carry with a SERPA, and defend their choice.

I don't care how you carry. If you understand the risks and choose to do it anyway, that's on you. But there are people out there that do not understand how dangerous these holsters are, and I feel like they deserve to know. I'm not making anything up. It's all firsthand observations that you can easily replicate at home.

And I haven't blocked you. I don't like blocking people, especially you.

So, you have personally seen one.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    The first one is amazing. Three to five idiots breaking rvery basic rule. I had a malfunction and Coach had me go to a safe area and clear and fix it. I would never train with those guys.

The second one was hilarious, My Serpa holster just shot me. SOB, My Serpa holster just shot me.

Oh! He told the truth! SOB "l" just shot MYSELF! But I am going to blame it on the Serpa holster.

If it wasn't for a serious design flaw inherent with the SERPA, that wouldn't have happened.

But yes, that could be traced to operator error. My complaints are with the mechanism.

It doesn't help that the SERPA mechanism facilitates shooting yourself much more easily than any other holster.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As far as diminished returns go.... just what benefits does a Serpico holster gain anyone for all the negatives...especially when there are other options?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I see I stirred up the poop pile with my pic and commentary.
    1st, no, the Serpa will not get you to shoot yourself over any other holster. People have been shooting themselves since the creation of the holster so there is that.

Failure is possible with anything that has any kind of a man made mechanism in it. If men make it there is always a possibility of failure.
    So there is also that.

I actually had this discussion tonight after my pics posted with a local LEO and he said he has seen 1 fail. Rolling around on the ground on a gravel surface and some got into the holster locking it up. OK. Now I can say I spoke with someone that has actually seen a failure. Go figure. But his taser was in a Serpa so go figure. An no it would not be lethal if he shot himself drawing the taser. It would hurt like mad but doubt as to lethality.

As to other options. Safari does not work well for me. I own one and it sits to high and is not as well clearanced as the Serpa.
    I have several other holsters and they are all mid to top of the line and all work well enough. But for OC the Serpa fits me, my muscle memory. And I am well trained in its use.

Capt. I understand your feelings on this piece. I can even get in your corner with it if it has happened to you. But in the end, I like mine. Actually like all 3 of them.
    Not sure how I got 3 of them but I do.

If I had the slightest doubt that it would fail me at any level it would be in the trash.
    I have a set of shortened firing pins that I use for draw and dry fire drill. Too easy to swap out in a 1911. As safe as a gun can be. In the 1,000's of times I have cycled that holster it repeats every time.

Of course I have not rolled around in the dirt/gravel or jumped from a moving (burning) car so go figure.

We all have our preferences.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

You’re not watching the Patrick Sweeney video I posted. No one shot themselves, Sweeney, an accomplished shooter, author, etc. was making a video on how to safely draw from the Sherpa, and ****ed it up by doing what the Serpa does best, allowing one to shoot themselves. Again, you do you, as will CM. It just a matter of when, not if.

As as far as you not being willing to train with SouthNarc, it’s not surprising, most here already know what they don’t know, and training is below them. Also as far as idiots, take yourself over to TPI, and run your suck to the guys in the video.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You’re not watching the Patrick Sweeney video I posted. No one shot themselves, Sweeney, an accomplished shooter, author, etc. was making a video on how to safely draw from the Sherpa, and ****ed it up by doing what the Serpa does best, allowing one to shoot themselves. Again, you do you, as will CM. It just a matter of when, not if.

As as far as you not being willing to train with SouthNarc, it’s not surprising, most here already know what they don’t know, and training is below them. Also as far as idiots, take yourself over to TPI, and run your suck to the guys in the video.

Knew you would be along.

Its the user in those cases and yes I agree it is possible.....regardless.
    But it is also possible with just about any holster. If you put your booger hook on the bang switch before its time. Any holster. Especially with a G****….so yeah I said it.....:p

OK folks I have caused way to much anxiety here. But I stand by my choices. If that causes me harm, then lunch is on me. If I can still pay.....:):

And chill the **** out OK...……:nono:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I bought a Serpa holster years ago, when I thought Concealed was the way to go. I did not like it because it was too bulky.

I now carry in a Galco Matrix.

However my Serpa is firmly attached to my bed rail. Every day when I pull on my trousers I draw from that holster and have never had my finger touch the trigger. I draw, thumb off the safety, get a good two hand purchase aim in a safe direction, thumb the safety on and holster. At bedtime reverse and repeat.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Damn I can see the headline now...."Churchmouse Killd on da streetz, INGO blames holster".
    You will not be forgotten...:ingo:

P.S. Dibs on that sweet duster :rockwoot:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You know, I do not care to watch your anecdotal videos. If CM wants to carry in a Serpa that is fine with me.

He isn't even posting about it.

He started this dog fight and then left, sheesh.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Knew you would be along.

Its the user in those cases and yes I agree it is possible.....regardless.
    But it is also possible with just about any holster. If you put your booger hook on the bang switch before its time. Any holster. Especially with a G****….so yeah I said it.....:p

OK folks I have caused way to much anxiety here. But I stand by my choices. If that causes me harm, then lunch is on me. If I can still pay.....:):

And chill the **** out OK...……:nono:
    :hijack:Im jus sayin, we have some trainers here, and some “trainers” here, 2A Tom evidently doesn’t know who Craig Douglas is, as he called him and his cadre idiots here. I simply asked that he go to Southnarc’s own forum, and say the same? I know where my skill level sits, and I have zero ****s to give about internet personas that think they are above where they are. I don’t fault you for your silly holster choice, you tried my recommendation, it didn’t work for you. If I still focused on yesterday, I’d buy it from you for my 1911, but, yesterday!:p:thumbsup:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know, I do not care to watch your anecdotal videos. If CM wants to carry in a Serpa that is fine with me.

He isn't even posting about it.

He started this dog fight and then left, sheesh.

Uh.....I am still here.
    I admit I should have seen this coming. Especially now with all the insanity we are all dealing with.
    And I still stand by my choices just as you all will stand by yours.
    Respect. Simple as that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not care what your name is. They acted like idiots in that video they were sweeping each other and looked like they were in a panic.

The situation could easily have been handled by moving to a safe area, removing it from the belt and working on it in a safe direction.

You over look this because you happen to think that you and yours can do no wrong,

Top Bottom