• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carried my a Colt 1911 .45 to the grocery this morning with an extra mag in my back pocket. I didn't feel undergunned. But I live in Goshen, I am not likely to face one of those mobs that some of you in the big towns might run into.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I carried my a Colt 1911 .45 to the grocery this morning with an extra mag in my back pocket. I didn't feel undergunned. But I live in Goshen, I am not likely to face one of those mobs that some of you in the big towns might run into.

:runaway:

The .45 ACP (and similar rounds) simply have no place in today's self defense firearms.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The .45 ACP (and similar rounds) simply have no place in today's self defense firearms.

holdup.gif

I've got 2 .45 pistols. Ok, 3 if you count an old basket case 1911 I've got laying around here somewhere. My S&W Performance Center Shield .45 4" makes a great little woods gun and can handle anything south of a black bear with hard cast flat nose ammo. A 9mm with hard cast might also work, but I've got somewhat more faith in 255 grain lead slugs to bust bone on ill-tempered beasts. And my nightstand pistol, a 5" Springfield XD Mod 2 .45, is no slouch for home defense with it's 14 rounds of hard-hitting 230 grain HSTs.

If someone comes out with a reliable braced 10" pistol in .45 ACP for around a grand or so that takes Glock mags, they'll have my money. I carry a 9mm out and about for the ease of concealment and the capacity, but if I can have good capacity AND big holes...

both.gif

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I've got 2 .45 pistols. Ok, 3 if you count an old basket case 1911 I've got laying around here somewhere. My S&W Performance Center Shield .45 4" makes a great little woods gun and can handle anything south of a black bear with hard cast flat nose ammo. A 9mm with hard cast might also work, but I've got somewhat more faith in 255 grain lead slugs to bust bone on ill-tempered beasts. And my nightstand pistol, a 5" Springfield XD Mod 2 .45, is no slouch for home defense with it's 14 rounds of hard-hitting 230 grain HSTs.

If someone comes out with a reliable braced 10" pistol in .45 ACP for around a grand or so that takes Glock mags, they'll have my money. I carry a 9mm out and about for the ease of concealment and the capacity, but if I can have good capacity AND big holes...

Okay, I can concede that .45 ACP has a place in some contexts. It does happen to be great suppressed, and a .45 ACP PCC could be a great defensive weapon. What I meant is that with modern JHP ammunition, the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP all just about come out equal. Just depends on if you prefer light and fast bullets, or heavy and slow ones. I tend to favor the light and fast ones. When I carried a .40, I carried 135 grain Cor-Bon, because they were the lightest, highest velocity .40 rounds I could find. But, since it didn't really offer me an advantage over 9mm, I eventually went back to 9mm. (Also, my department switched duty guns, and since I don't like changing my carry gun, I tend to carry the same off duty.)

For the same reason I like 9mm, I like 5.56x45 and 5.45x39. Small bullet go fast. That doesn't mean I don't like larger calibers, I do. And I own several, even a 1911 in .45!!!! :rolleyes: I hate 1911's, but I think they're beautiful and have historical value. I would never carry it unless I had no other option. And if I could choose a Glock or M&P in either .45 or 9mm, I'm going with the 9 every time. I'd rather have 17 rounds than 10 or 12. Or even 14. ;) I took the complete opposite route with my nightstand gun. M&P 9 with 24 rounds of Civil Defense 50 grain, getting over 2000 FPS.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I carried my DW Commander wit TWO backup mag’s!

I contend I was and am not under armed with a 1911 so take that 9mm freaks.

So TJ is shooting about 140 rounds a day?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Boy this will make your heads swim. I carry this every day every where I/we go.
    Yes it is one of those outdated antiquated 1911's. Yes it is all steel. 2 spare mags. 24 rds.
    Top that off it is a Frankengun. Put together from parts and pieces left over from previous projects upgrades and just ideas. I will put this up against about anything any of you carry. It is a machine. Friends (well established shooters) have ran it and love it.

And I carry.....wait for it...In a "SERPA"

:):

MGdmCed.jpg

She aint purty but she is a beast.
    MGQdu61.jpg

Nightstand gun is another 1911 but in 10mm.
    Krd8Dk7.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Boy this will make your heads swim. I carry this every day every where I/we go.
    Yes it is one of those outdated antiquated 1911's. Yes it is all steel. 2 spare mags. 24 rds.
    Top that off it is a Frankengun. Put together from parts and pieces left over from previous projects upgrades and just ideas. I will put this up against about anything any of you carry. It is a machine. Friends (well established shooters) have ran it and love it.

And I carry.....wait for it...In a "SERPA"

:):

MGdmCed.jpg

She aint purty but she is a beast.
    MGQdu61.jpg

Nightstand gun is another 1911 but in 10mm.
    Krd8Dk7.jpg

Only the unenlightened would think this is bad.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Carry gear remains unchanged. I did a large scale cleaning of rifles today and organized the magazines and gear for any and all eventualities. No bugging out. Just preparing for being surrounded.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Only the unenlightened would think this is bad.

Not a big fan of holsters that I've seen fail multiple times in training and in the field. Also, I really don't like the feature the SERPA has where you can't draw your gun if you're laying on your side with your holster against the ground. They also have a nasty tendency to get jammed up with dirt or debris and require cutting the holster off of the gun.

I know CM understands and accepts those risks. Many people do not fully understand just how dangerous these holsters are.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Not a big fan of holsters that I've seen fail multiple times in training and in the field. Also, I really don't like the feature the SERPA has where you can't draw your gun if you're laying on your side with your holster against the ground. They also have a nasty tendency to get jammed up with dirt or debris and require cutting the holster off of the gun.

I know CM understands and accepts those risks. Many people do not fully understand just how dangerous these holsters are.

A good gun handler has nothing to fear from those holsters. I don't own one but they do not scare me in the least. I have seen good gun handlers use them in person without a problem. Never had seen an issue created by one of those holsters and I stand behind a lot of shooter observing.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

I have heard the anecdotes, are you actually saying that you have personally observed these things?

I find that interesting.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    For me the 1911 is kind like an "old flame". I carried a wilson CQB or colt officer's model (depending on the weather/season) with wilson trigger job, for 25 years...and a springfield GI before that. I've moved on though. My arthritic shoulder doesn't like extra recoil anymore and if FBI data shows performance between 9mm, 10mm, and 45ACP to be similar, than i can't think of a reason not to carry 9mm and have MORE ammo with LESS recoil and similar terminal ballistics.

it's also more affordable to have a polymer frame 2nd gun to replace your primary if it ends up in the evidence room. On the other hand, a nice 1911 doesn't need to wear nickel plate to go to a fancy barbeque!

As for increased crime, FWIW i read that in NYC robberies are up 25%, burgleries are up 22%, and car theft is up 65%. I'm surprised at the robbery rate, with people being told to stay home (and how much encouragement do you need there?). Maybe it's just a matter of population density or maybe robberies committed during a home invasion? Anyway, criminals don't seem to be detered by the wuhan virus, but there doesn't seem to be a zombie apocalypse. fed.gov would scramble to mobilize the NG to not only keep order but to pass out MREs if EBT cards didn't work anymore, or if there was a real food shortage.

TJ i don't see a ZA or "mad max" reruns happening until we get somewhere beyond WROL

Top Bottom