• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    A good gun handler has nothing to fear from those holsters. I don't own one but they do not scare me in the least. I have seen good gun handlers use them in person without a problem. Never had seen an issue created by one of those holsters and I stand behind a lot of shooter observing.

They may work just fine on a range in a controlled environment. They do not work in real life. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a competent shooter. The mechanism is severely flawed, and it's dangerous for several reasons.

Not only do they not work, but when they fail, they fail HARD. Like I said, if you're on the ground on your side, or even pinned against a wall, it is impossible to release the handgun. Small rocks and other debris has been shown to lock up the mechanism, I've seen it happen. I have seen the holsters get ripped off the paddles or belt loop. Completely snapped off. I don't care if you like them, just understand their limitations. They appeal to many new shooters because of their price, but the Safariland holsters aren't much more expensive, but are infinitely better.

The Blackhawk SERPA is the only holster that I know of that is specifically BANNED from many training sites because of how dangerous they are. I urge you to do some research. Again, this isn't about that guy that shot himself in the leg because of poor trigger control when drawing from a SERPA. That is not even on my list of complaints, although it is a problem. My issue lies with the mechanism itself, and its propensity to jam, and its ability to be inaccessible. These things should be unacceptable to any serious shooter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A good gun handler has nothing to fear from those holsters. I don't own one but they do not scare me in the least. I have seen good gun handlers use them in person without a problem. Never had seen an issue created by one of those holsters and I stand behind a lot of shooter observing.

I know a lot of people that I see as very qualified in firearms and many of them use the Serpa. Never seen or heard 1st hand of a failure but I am sure they have. Also sure the Safari has failed on occasion.
    The issues with any equipment comes from the people that own it and never use it. Then when they get to the range and draw what ever weapon of choice they own they put there damned finger in the trigger guard when the draw the gun thus shooting themselves or something close by. Hell I see people shoot the floor/ceiling/baffles etc from this very same idiocy. Not just a holster so I will stand my ground in the defense of this rig. Practice practice train and practice some more. A hand gun is not a Talisman. A tacticool holster is not the end all in any situation. I carry in this way because it fits me. I do not have to even think about getting that old turd 1911 Frankengun out and to the low ready and my finger is not on the trigger until I am ready to send 1 or 5 in a given direction.

OK I knew this would come up because "SERPA" oh my God in heaven man you will shoot your eye out.....:runaway:

It has worked for me reliably for years. I am not one to roll in the dirt or jump from a moving car. Unless the car is on fire of course. Fire will make me jump.

Oh yeah, they get banned because of those who use them.....or so I have been told anyway but hey do I know. I am just an old long haired fat guy with an outdated gun and a dangerous holster that will not work in the real world.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Boy this will make your heads swim. I carry this every day every where I/we go.
    Yes it is one of those outdated antiquated 1911's. Yes it is all steel. 2 spare mags. 24 rds.
    Top that off it is a Frankengun. Put together from parts and pieces left over from previous projects upgrades and just ideas. I will put this up against about anything any of you carry. It is a machine. Friends (well established shooters) have ran it and love it.

And I carry.....wait for it...In a "SERPA"

:):

MGdmCed.jpg

She aint purty but she is a beast.
    MGQdu61.jpg

Nightstand gun is another 1911 but in 10mm.
    Krd8Dk7.jpg
    OK Boo....wait, you predate time itself, that first blaster doesn’t say “1911”, it says “Today”.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have heard the anecdotes, are you actually saying that you have personally observed these things?

I find that interesting.
    Do we need to repost the video of a serious gun handler/gun writer who was making a video about this holster and damned near ND’d WHILE MAKING THE VIDEO? CM and I have been round and round about this holster, with him even purchasing what I recommended, it wasn’t for him. But I still say, it’s only about when, not IF.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They may work just fine on a range in a controlled environment. They do not work in real life. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a competent shooter. The mechanism is severely flawed, and it's dangerous for several reasons.

Not only do they not work, but when they fail, they fail HARD. Like I said, if you're on the ground on your side, or even pinned against a wall, it is impossible to release the handgun. Small rocks and other debris has been shown to lock up the mechanism, I've seen it happen. I have seen the holsters get ripped off the paddles or belt loop. Completely snapped off. I don't care if you like them, just understand their limitations. They appeal to many new shooters because of their price, but the Safariland holsters aren't much more expensive, but are infinitely better.

The Blackhawk SERPA is the only holster that I know of that is specifically BANNED from many training sites because of how dangerous they are. I urge you to do some research. Again, this isn't about that guy that shot himself in the leg because of poor trigger control when drawing from a SERPA. That is not even on my list of complaints, although it is a problem. My issue lies with the mechanism itself, and its propensity to jam, and its ability to be inaccessible. These things should be unacceptable to any serious shooter.

1st hand anecdotes please.

All you have given so far is a lot of what people think. You implied that you have first hand knowledge.

Maybe he has me on ignore, someone please quote me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Do we need to repost the video of a serious gun handler/gun writer who was making a video about this holster and damned near ND’d WHILE MAKING THE VIDEO? CM and I have been round and round about this holster, with him even purchasing what I recommended, it wasn’t for him. But I still say, it’s only about when, not IF.

How do you have an ND when the gun cannot be upholstered and the trigger is protected. I admit you are more into the "PROS" than I.

IMHO there are too many people that Pontificate here.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Street wear demands the best in securement, concealment and speed. Can you reholster with one hand? Can you ride Harleys and horses without worry. Can you keep the bad guy from dispatching your rig? Can you present quietly if need be?Etc etc etc?

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    How do you have an ND when the gun cannot be upholstered and the trigger is protected. I admit you are more into the "PROS" than I.

IMHO there are too many people]

Maybe so but actually I had a student that his level 2 mechanism quit working. I will admit that this is when they first come out and maybe they are better now. However, I have never been a fan of plastic holsters for street wear especially when they need gadgets and mechanics to secure the gun. To each their own and maybe Iwill revisit them in the future.​

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Just wanted to stop by and let you troglodytes know that rifles are superior to handguns. I just discovered this, completely on my own, and thought I’d share. I’d tell you about the last few gunfights I was involved in but I can’t, for reasons. You’re welcome for my advice.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

IMHO there are too many people that Pontificate here.
    BTW did I SAY there was an ND? Nope, I said a prominent gun writer/ handler damned near ND’d while making a video about how to safely use a holster with a deadly flaw. Not pontification at all, whether you choose to accept facts is your problem.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just wanted to stop by and let you troglodytes know that rifles are superior to handguns. I just discovered this, completely on my own, and thought I’d share. I’d tell you about the last few gunfights I was involved in but I can’t, for reasons. You’re welcome for my advice.
    Please regale us with tales you can’t elaborate on!

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I have no experience with a Serpa but have heard all the horror stories on their failures and the failures of their users. I do believe that if it's mechanical it can and will fail at some point. K.I.S.S.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    BTW did I SAY there was an ND? Nope, I said a prominent gun writer/ handler damned near ND’d while making a video about how to safely use a holster with a deadly flaw. Not pontification at all, whether you choose to accept facts is your problem.

So it is anecdotal.

Top Bottom