• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cromus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    They just said he went mach 1.2. He couldn't feel anything special due to the pressure suit.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Without a doubt, that was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen. Edge of my seat as he dropped off the capsule! I thought he was finished when he started tumbling but he straightened it out very quickly.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I can't imagine what the acceleration felt like, he jumped off and he looked like a little spec in like 5or6 seconds.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    By about 90 mph.

I watched the descent, but was there a sonic boom? He was going 833.9mph at his fastest.

When he stood on that platform looking down at the earth just before jumping, my palms were literally dripping with sweat. They are clamming up right now thinking about it.

I doubt there was enough air where he was to support the "boom"; considering the mass "breaking the sound barrier" compared to the mass of even "Glamorous Glennis", and considering the altitude at which the mass exceeded the (sea level) sound barrier, I don't think there could have been much atmospheric disturbance, and the farther he descended, the slower his terminal velocity. A more interesting question would be "how hot did his suit get?"

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    He was not the first.

Bill Weaver was the first, unintentional, man to do this. SR-71 comes apart around him, finds himself in time and space, sans plane:

Bill Weaver Mach 3+ Blackbird Breakup | Roadrunners of Groom Lake

Negative ghost rider..

Joseph Kittinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kittinger was the first man in space and his free fall was intentional. He beats your sr71 rocket jock by several years.

Yuri was the first human to ORBIT the earth. Kittinger was the first man in space according tp the time period's classification of altitude space was considered.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I can't imagine what the acceleration felt like, he jumped off and he looked like a little spec in like 5or6 seconds.
    I remember seeing a show a while back where Kittinger said when he jumped, he thought he had gone too high and was floating in space, because there was no resistance to his body falling, and he couldn't tell he was moving.

Top Bottom